Hmm Ego on the bench

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe25DA

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Looks like **** to me. Maybe I’m missing something with the battery vs gasoline debate. Nothing about this looks appealing. At the shop where I get my “junk” saws they do sell EGO. I guess when these fail they either warranty or the customer buys a new saw. Not much in the way of repair. This was a warranty saw, they kept the bar and chain and cover. Looks hardly used, 2020 is the mfg year. Made in the finest sweatshop in China too. I think these things are expensive. I’ll sell it for parts, maybe someone smashed a handle. I’m tempted to perform an autopsy and see what’s in there. 91E80347-A1A5-408E-8CC2-258D5B3920E9.jpeg4B4B9514-F925-4F0C-9F5C-0B0406BDC184.jpegEF76AD0B-C8B7-4412-8F8A-81BA303CFC1C.jpeg

EGO = Skil power tools in different clothing. Both owned by Chervon (not Chevron)

Interestingly enough they have a manufacturing facility in Georgia, and the USA market batteries are made by Johnson Controls (Interstate Batteries).
No wonder why they dont hold up. 😀

Too bad, I have an old craftsman industrial worm drive circular saw (skill model 77). It’s a fine tool made in USA 1987 I believe.
Agreed. I've got some old Skil saws that my dad bought new many years ago that are my primary saws. Never felt the need to buy anything modern, at least for the amount I use them.

Looks like **** to me. Maybe I’m missing something with the battery vs gasoline debate. Nothing about this looks appealing. At the shop where I get my “junk” saws they do sell EGO. I guess when these fail they either warranty or the customer buys a new saw. Not much in the way of repair. This was a warranty saw, they kept the bar and chain and cover. Looks hardly used, 2020 is the mfg year. Made in the finest sweatshop in China too. I think these things are expensive. I’ll sell it for parts, maybe someone smashed a handle. I’m tempted to perform an autopsy and see what’s in there. View attachment 1074732View attachment 1074733View attachment 1074734
How do you pressure/vacuum test that? :)

Looks like **** to me. Maybe I’m missing something with the battery vs gasoline debate. Nothing about this looks appealing. At the shop where I get my “junk” saws they do sell EGO. I guess when these fail they either warranty or the customer buys a new saw. Not much in the way of repair. This was a warranty saw, they kept the bar and chain and cover. Looks hardly used, 2020 is the mfg year. Made in the finest sweatshop in China too. I think these things are expensive. I’ll sell it for parts, maybe someone smashed a handle. I’m tempted to perform an autopsy and see what’s in there. View attachment 1074732View attachment 1074733View attachment 1074734
Chainsaw doesn't look terribly impressive but I bought an EGO weed eater and blower and am well pleased with both of them. I usually give in before the battery needs charged on the trimmer. Wife won't let me use the blower much so I have to use my Stihl blower instead..

That is a CS1600, which is the 3rd gen Ego 56v. I have the CS1800, which is the 18" bar, same motor head, just different model number (same motor power, watts). I cut down quite a few large trees with that saw, and a 5.0AH (280WH) battery. Sometimes running through two (2) 5.0AH batteries in a half day. Here are some pics of the work this saw can do.

https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/show-us-your-stumps.348097/page-16#post-7985659

There's not a lot to em really, if you're handy with a multi-meter you'll probably find a switch not contacting or something simple broken or out of place. If nothing else it would improve your chances of selling it for parts if you can identify what's wrong with it.

There's not a lot to em really, if you're handy with a multi-meter you'll probably find a switch not contacting or something simple broken or out of place. If nothing else it would improve your chances of selling it for parts if you can identify what's wrong with it.
I’d say that’s likely the case. I’m going to open it up, nothing to lose. It seems that people who have them like them.

Latest posts

Back