Ho.melite C-51, here we go again

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know this has been asked before, but not sure I've ever seen a definitive answer.

Younger son Josh has a friend interested in selling a C-51, looks to be O.K. on the outside but I have no idea if it has spark, compression, or running.

Any idea of a reasonable value?

Sorry but I am still having some issues with this computer, can't imbed the photo's so you'll have to open them to have a look.

Thanks,

Mark

Last edited:
I know this has been asked before, but not sure I've ever seen a definitive answer.

Younger son Josh has a friend interested in selling a C-51, looks to be O.K. on the outside but I have no idea if it has spark, compression, or running

Not sure what you are really asking here Mark.
Pioneerguy600

Ok, now I can see your question.

Last edited:
attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php

Sorry Jerry, on the road again and maybe not communicating as clearly as I'd like. As you can see typing on this small keyboard is a pain...

What is a reasonable price for a saw like this?

Equivalent McCulloch (say a 200 or similar model) might be $20 to $50 depending on the condition and who's interested, is the same range reasobable for one like this?

And thanks to Brian for the photo work, I really do know how it's supposed to be done but something with this computer won't open the "Insert Image" icon.

Mark

I think I gave $80 for one at an auction in 1976. Made the $110 I spent for the 1946 Studebaker dump truck at the same sale look like a bargain! Not sure how that relates to today, but I think I could part with $50 for this one.

Hmm, my brother has that saw now, wonder if he would part with it?

One in real nice condition physically that is also running well would bring $100-$150. Condition is always tantamount in collector saws, not many users would want to run one of the old Homelites day in and out. That said I know a couple of occasional users that just cut their own firewood etc. that still run them and would not think of buying a newer saw.
Pioneerguy600

Watched one end on the bay couple weeks ago. Went for 115 but it was a runner, so he said.
I have given 20-65 bucks for them.

Younger son Josh has a friend interested in selling a C-51, looks to be O.K. on the outside but I have no idea if it has spark, compression, or running.

Any idea of a reasonable value?

Thanks,

Mark

Mark, I've seen them from free to about $150.00 depending upon condition. I know several older gentlemen that still use the Homelite C series as firewood saws. That saw looks to be in good cosmetic condition. Tell Josh to go for it.

Jerry

Mark, Did you fall down and hit your head,
Are you color blind, Can't you see it ain't
yellow. You put that blue thing in your shop
and all your yellow will have tears.
Those Homies are not high dollar saws.
Good runners can bring 100 to 150
This one your looking at apears to clean
and if it has excellent compression i would
say you would be ok in the 50 to 75 range.

Lee

That one is in better shape than mine , and you wouldn't get mine for $100, but it's not for sale anyway so it's a moot point and do some people really sell their chainsaws??????????????????????????????

Well they are a 77cc 4 reed saw and if comp is good should have good torque. They have inboard sprockets which is nice and rim drive setups are common. I have seen many piston, rings and cylinders on ebay for them and they are easy to work on. I swapped on a baffled muffler on mine from a later xl series saw and that helped with the noise. All in all if it is healthy it should pull a 24" sprocket or roller nose bar and good chisel chain pretty comfortably. The one in your pics is nicer than many I have seen. I would think that $80.00-$130.00 would be fair.

FWIW, my C5 sold this week for $170. Admittedly on the high end (ebay), but it had new everything in it.

It really just depends on if you like running older saws. Personally the older homelite c series along with the xp 1000, 1020, 1050 1110 2100 and so on are awesome running saws. I have all 3 of the C series and I love running them all. My C-91 that I restored runs a 36" bar and .404 full comp chain with no problems at all. Your thumb does get worn out from pumping the oiler, but what do you expect? I'd have no problems offering 100 bucks for that saw. Looks good, especially if she has spark and compression. Carbs are super easy to work on, easy to adjust and rarely get dirty, just a kit usually does the work. If the fuel line is junk it can be a pain, but just pull off the tank from the saw and the front of the tank. I know 100$ wouldn't touch my C-51 or my C-91...

Well they are a 77cc 4 reed saw and if comp is good should have good torque. They have inboard sprockets which is nice and rim drive setups are common. I have seen many piston, rings and cylinders on ebay for them and they are easy to work on. I swapped on a baffled muffler on mine from a later xl series saw and that helped with the noise. All in all if it is healthy it should pull a 24" sprocket or roller nose bar and good chisel chain pretty comfortably. The one in your pics is nicer than many I have seen. I would think that $80.00-$130.00 would be fair.

+1

I think Hoss's assessment is pretty good. Whereas these aren't in the habit of commanding a high price (there are still a lot of these out there and there are other models that seem to get more attention) that is a very nice-looking and collectable saw. To boot, these were good, hardy machines. I'm just spitballing here, but I think sooner or later these will get a lot harder to find and the price will go up.

Latest posts

Back