Hobby Carving (some pictures)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quincyhoke

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm currently in college and carve as a hobby. I want to get more involved when time and money allows, but in the meantime I do what I can. Any critiques are welcome!
Oe2g7GK.jpg
YkZmkxl.jpg
l0GtZIP.jpg
W3fe9pn.jpg
bBVSaNc.jpg
orDq2Ri.jpg

Your bears are 'cute' and CUTE SELLS. It looks like you're using marbles for eyes. Getting away from marbles and using a die grinder to make eyes is one of the best moves I every made. Burnished eyes never fall out...

Your bears are 'cute' and CUTE SELLS. It looks like you're using marbles for eyes. Getting away from marbles and using a die grinder to make eyes is one of the best moves I every made. Burnished eyes never fall out...
I like the idea. After grinding them out what do you use to give them definition?

Very nice carvings, I wish I could do that. Guess I'll have to stick to producing carving tools and knives... I just can't seem to ever produce anything but maybe a mini bear, and they don't look half as good as yours.

Have a machinist turn a concave end on a steel rod, chuck it in a drill and press hard while on high speed.

You can make an eye tool yourself pretty easily. I use a rotary rasp with 1/4" shank, a variable speed drill, and a dremel with a grinding stone. Note that cheap rotary rasps do not always fit the chuck of a die grinder...

Chuck up the rasp in the drill and hold the drill in a vise or with a clamp. Set the speed to low, and grind a bowl shape in the end while the drill is running. You could even use a 1/4" bolt rather than the rasp.

I like the rasp because after burnishing the eyes, I can use it to round the nose or knock a sharp edge from the lips.
1423-3177.jpg
dremel4000e.jpg

Thank
You can make an eye tool yourself pretty easily. I use a rotary rasp with 1/4" shank, a variable speed drill, and a dremel with a grinding stone. Note that cheap rotary rasps do not always fit the chuck of a die grinder...

Chuck up the rasp in the drill and hold the drill in a vise or with a clamp. Set the speed to low, and grind a bowl shape in the end while the drill is running. You could even use a 1/4" bolt rather than the rasp.

I like the rasp because after burnishing the eyes, I can use it to round the nose or knock a sharp edge from the lips.
1423-3177.jpg
dremel4000e.jpg
[/QUOTE
Thanks for the ideas and input. I am going to need to get a dremel seems like. Wouldn't be a bad investment I'm sure. I will have to try this.

The only "critique" I have is the go away bear looks far to friendly to be saying go away! You managed "cute" or "friendly" without looking foolishly cartoony. Very cool.

The only "critique" I have is the go away bear looks far to friendly to be saying go away! You managed "cute" or "friendly" without looking foolishly cartoony. Very cool.
Thanks! I actually put Go Away on the back of all the Welcome signs I put with the bears. This little touch always seems to be a good attention getter for me.

I really dig this wood carving stuff, wish I had any artistic talent. I tried to carve a chess piece out of a pine stump once. Started out going to be a rook, then a pawn, then became a bishop. It was not appropriate for display and was burned.

Oh and I could definitely see that bench on my front porch.

I'm currently in college and carve as a hobby. I want to get more involved when time and money allows, but in the meantime I do what I can. Any critiques are welcome! Yeah buddy you got the gift. Yeah that hobby will bring in some cash for you for your saw supplies and extrapocket cash. They look really good nice job
Oe2g7GK.jpg
YkZmkxl.jpg
l0GtZIP.jpg
W3fe9pn.jpg
bBVSaNc.jpg
orDq2Ri.jpg

Back