Holz Hausen time !!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do a quick search, holz hausen have been discussed before, I believe with pics. I tried to build one, but it's a bit of a pain and you need nice level ground, which I don't have.

Ian

Got a buddy here who tried it out. His view: nice for effect but not worth the effort. Over in Europe people are pretty much obsessed about neatness and out methods of stacking wouldn't pass inspection.

Harry K

when I was in school I worked part time and summers at a stave mill. The way we stacked the staves was like a circular log fence.This gives a lot of air space and speeds up drying but wood require a lot of space.
o.k. i,ll just be shutting up now

One of the guys I cut wood with stacks his firewood in a pair of Holz Hausens..his wife and neighbors call them the "Grand Tetons."

After some trial and error he found that using a tarp or other moisture barrier on the ground makes a difference. Also, stacking it all on pallets helps the air flow.

Otherwise, good luck!

Yup we tried it a couple of times. Great, as the man said, for Europeans with limited space and an OCD for neatness. Think about the logistics of the HH:

1. It takes time to get that conical stack correct and stacked bottom up long ways .:mad:

2. If you heat with wood, how do you get the logs off the HH ? Not simple.

3. Limited space, then stack wider, higher, more carefully in the easier to use "normal" rectangular stacks.

4. Yes, they look cool, but do really give a $%#@& ?:jawdrop:

5. Now for the piece de resistance ( mon Francais is terrible ): can you do the math calculating how much wood is in the cone ? Gimme "bys", as in 8X8x5 or any variety of square piles. You may, may, get barely a cord in each HH. If you live in Dixie or N.J. maybe that'll work.:dizzy:

. JMNSHO my square stacks look cool. Hey, I lurk to stare at them daily. :cheers:

AND finally---7. This a free country. You want to try a HH, do it. I will bet your first born, your best saw, Laphroaig that you'll go back to our red-blooded square, normal stacks. PM for details.:monkey:

69 Holz Hausen

6' Tall
9' Wide

P3260014r-1.jpg

I made one this year. There is a pic of it on here somewhere. It was eight feet tall and wide. I went out and looked at it a couple of weeks ago and to my suprise it was 5 feet tall and 12 feet wide.:cry: I probably won't make another one, but it was pretty cool.

HolzHausen2.jpg

HH do not speed drying time...they look good in trendy neighborhoods and that's about it. Save your time brother.

Back