Holzfforma saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I built the 372 clone kit 3 years ago. I installed the big bore cylinder, and did a little porting. It ran great for about 5 minutes, and lost spark. I installed an old oem coil I had, and not a single hiccup since. It is (other than the coil) entirely huztl parts, including the dreaded wrist pin clips. I have cut many truck loads of firewood with it. It will output my 038 super, and come very close to my 044. The clone, the 044, and a homelite 550 are my main firewood saws. If you want a fun project, and an extra saw, they aren't bad. If you want to make money, probably not the best choice. I have run the snot out of mine, and beat it harder than I do my oem saws, and still no issue with it. But, as with any saw, I won't go to the woods with just the clone. A backup is necessary I think.

Here is one with less than 3 hours run time. Tried to pull vacuum, none. Repaired it for owner.

Attachments

• IMG_8787.JPG
    IMG_8787.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_8788.JPG
    IMG_8788.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_8789.JPG
    IMG_8789.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_8791.JPG
    IMG_8791.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 31
That's unfortunate for sure. I keep thinking, everytime I fire mine up, that it's going to die. Just hasn't yet. And, it was a gift from my wife and little boys for Father's Day that year, so it's somewhat sentimental, so I keep it around. Mine runs well, but not all of them do. I'm lucky sometimes I guess...

Clutch side seal, no o-ring or sealant, that carb boot it a joke. Seal spun in case.
I don't think huztl even knows an oring goes in there. They don't show one on their website and none were included in any kits that I have heard of.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum, there’s lots of experience here and the gurus are willing to share it. With the kit saws there’s lots of complaints about missing parts. On you tube some went the kit saw route only to use the wrong ratio mix instead of the suggested mix and there saw is kaput.

I think going with a used husky saw is the way to go. Even a non running saw and rebuild it. Before I found this site I purchased a new assembled 372 Xp engine from huztl for my non running 372 I purchased. I haven’t assembled it yet. I think the engine was $60.

But taking your chances is a pig in a poke with the kit saws is up to you. If you do go this route pressure check the saw when it’s assembled.

WTF. I'm trying to wrap my head around how this can even happen...
I have only seen a seal spin in pocket once before and pocket was damaged, bad seal, I have seen seals leak air around retainer, that's way I use a thin layer around outside ring to seal it. Should of taken good pictures of cylinder ports and casting, what a mess.

I have only seen a seal spin in pocket once before and pocket was damaged, bad seal, I have seen seals leak air around retainer, that's way I use a thin layer around outside ring to seal it. Should of taken good pictures of cylinder ports and casting, what a mess.
Do you know there are people that put them together like that. Without touching a port. And call themselves a saw builder? They brag about it on the internets too.

Box of crappy parts... That is true, for sure. And I own one, but as stated, it was a gift. And when, (not if) it fails, I'll probably fix it, because my kids think it's pretty cool. Quality wise, it's nowhere near a 372xp. I don't consider myself a builder by any means, but I do fix and rebuild several saws a year for people. I always give them the option of cheap parts, or quality parts. And I tell them if they choose cheap, I won't warranty it. If they want oem, or a close second (meteor pistons for example) I'll warranty my work. I rebuilt my 044 with a meteor piston, and factory cylinder in 2014. Still running like a champ. I have rebuilt an 044 for one guy every year since 2015 with farmertec piston and cylinder, because the cylinder plating chips off, or a ring breaks, or a circlip lets loose. I have yet to have one with top shelf parts come back to me for anything more than tuning. You be the judge here

Box of crappy parts... That is true, for sure. And I own one, but as stated, it was a gift. And when, (not if) it fails, I'll probably fix it, because my kids think it's pretty cool. Quality wise, it's nowhere near a 372xp. I don't consider myself a builder by any means, but I do fix and rebuild several saws a year for people. I always give them the option of cheap parts, or quality parts. And I tell them if they choose cheap, I won't warranty it. If they want oem, or a close second (meteor pistons for example) I'll warranty my work. I rebuilt my 044 with a meteor piston, and factory cylinder in 2014. Still running like a champ. I have rebuilt an 044 for one guy every year since 2015 with farmertec piston and cylinder, because the cylinder plating chips off, or a ring breaks, or a circlip lets loose. I have yet to have one with top shelf parts come back to me for anything more than tuning. You be the judge here
China saw guys have sensitive feelers and don't like being judged.

There are only two things I can think of that are both cheap, reliable, and high quality. A model 94 winchester, and a chevy 350. Saws, it's one or the other. You can get lucky and find a good deal on a used saw. My 044 was bought for 25 dollars at a town auction. 40 dollar piston, new rubber parts and a chain, and I had a perfect running saw. All for the tune of about 100 bucks. I have less than 200 dollars into 14 good running Homelites, including a 750 that I mill with. The kit was fun to piece together with the kids, and has ran fine, but I know it's a timebomb. And I'd never tell them or my wife that it isn't awesome.

Latest posts

Back