Home made firewood processor.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

genesis5521

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This guy has some good ideas on a homemade firewood processor. He can pull the logs to the processor with the winch. He can load the logs on to the log deck with the winch. And he can load individual rounds with the mini lift. It isn't perfect or fast, but he ain't working very hard. He's going from logs to finished splits. He needs a conveyor to optimize efficiency. Maybe this video can give some of you fabricators a few ideas. Wish I could build something like this.

Poor Man's Wood Processor - YouTube

Don <><

Pretty neat, really. I see he has a log lift also, for big rounds already in stove length. Only big drawback I see, is the slow speed.

Only big drawback I see, is the slow speed.

Ya Ductape. It is slow. Somebody that knows about this stuff could remedy that. But he isn't bucking, and carrying rounds to a truck one by one, and lifting rounds on to a truck, then unloading them, then loading them on to a splitter, like most of us do. I know I handle my wood a whole bunch of times!
His setup works most efficiently with logs. I'd have to buy the logs by the full truckload (12 cords). Around $100 a cord, delivered.

Don <><

For the amount of time and money invested in that machine you could easily find something much cheaper and way more efficient.

Not a bad bit of construction at all. Another guy built one of these and posts during the construction, so you can watch it all come together over time here

I seen an old tub grinder in Wisconsin once I was thinking about converting into a processor. It had plenty of Detroit Diesel power and hydraulics, a boom loader w/grapple and a conveyor. They guy wanted $3500 for it scrap price. It was doable but the tub needed removed for transport and it was going to cost the same price for transport.
I'm still kicking myself in @$$ for not buying it. I told the guy my plans and I think he might of had a "light bulb" moment too.

slow, but it works...I tried to estimate how long it takes me to do the same while watching...buck, handle, split, handle, etc...the guy probably has as much time into it as I do...and less sore muscles.

BTW...why am I seeing what looks like an orange trackhoe cab behind that quad near the shed?

That thing moves slower than pond water! That said. If I had his kind of time to conjure up the idea and build the machine then I probably wouldn't be that concerned with how quickly it produced firewood. That's not the case, time is prescious to me.

Maybe when I'm older, with a worse off back than now, I'd develop patience to use that.

What I want to know is what he digging out of his right pocket and looking at? A stop watch, or a counter? :biggrin:

Ya Ductape. It is slow. Somebody that knows about this stuff could remedy that. But he isn't bucking, and carrying rounds to a truck one by one, and lifting rounds on to a truck, then unloading them, then loading them on to a splitter, like most of us do. I know I handle my wood a whole bunch of times!
His setup works most efficiently with logs. I'd have to buy the logs by the full truckload (12 cords). Around $100 a cord, delivered.

Don <><

Yeah, take pride in the work involved! :blob2:

What I want to know is what he digging out of his right pocket and looking at? A stop watch, or a counter? :biggrin:

I think it's a sundial.:smile2:

Good lord that's slow. Drive me crazy in a very short time. He's got the right idea though.

Why would you drag the log that far across the yard? The thing has wheels for a reason.

very cool idea. lots of room for improvement,but it does work.

btw,when the video first started i was expecting larry and curly to show up,lol

very cool idea. lots of room for improvement,but it does work.

btw,when the video first started i was expecting larry and curly to show up,lol

I agree I thought it was Moe also lol. Not trying to be mean but it popped in my head almost instantly.

Nice build just really slow. The tree he just split will grow back before he is done splitting it. Now thats a renewable resource.

As slow as it goes I hope he does not burn much wood. I would fall a sleep waiting for it to cut and split. I think what he is holding in his hand may be a remote for his winch.

I think it might be the Remote for the winch. Extremely slow especially the saw. Speed that up and use a full auto cycle on the splitter and I think it would be pretty decent.
I'd like somthing semi automated like that. I was thinking a bench that I could load single logs onto. It would be at a good height for bucking with the chain saw. I could then slide the rounds along the bench and they could roll down to the splitter.

I've give him an A for effort, but that is slow as molasses, I'll take two guys that will work over that contraption anytime and save a hell of a lot of money doing it. He would have been much better off spending his money on an inertia splitter, speedpro, supersplit ot DR, he'd increase his production about four fold and would have saved a ton on cash.

Latest posts

Back