Home made service tools...What have you made?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
anybody got a picture off a home made tool to pull crank into case again??(Stihl)

To put the crank back in I just heat the case in the oven for an hour or 2 at 175° and put the crank and bearings in the freezer. Then I put on some welding gloves and work fast. They just kinda slide into place and I can just use the case bolts to pull everything together.

Homemade?? OK Here are a couple pics of how and what I use to compress rings and install piston and cyl.

Pic 093...First I cut two blocks of wood to keep the piston at Top Dead center. Then using a wire tie to compress the ring, I position the connector at the locating pin so I can see and make sure the ring ends are in the right place.

Pic 095...Then at my leasure I slide the cyl down over the piston/ring, sliding the wire tie along too...the wood blocks keep the piston from jack knifing and the whole process is very controlled being able to use both hands to guide the cyl.

Pic 096...When the tie falls off the piston you just cut the tie, remove and bolt the cyl down,

I actually have a 1/4" wide tie I got from under the dash of an auto that has a dissconnect and can be used repeatedly. I use this one for two ring pistons.

Another homemade setup I use frequently.

Pic 153...This is a foam coffee cup the brand name is "Philip Cup" The cover has a little plastic tab about 1/2" wide and perhaps 5/8" long These tabs measure 0.012" thick. There are two tabs in the foreground of the pic that have been removed from the cover.

Pic 155...These tabs being 0.012" thick (which is the air gap for just about every saw ign) and nonmagnetic make great spacers when setting up the air gap. This pic is of a two leg coil. The gap must be set at the magnets so I roll the flywheel with the magnets up, set the coil on the flywheel, pick up each leg up and insert a tab under each leg. The magnets pull the coil down onto the tabs which comform to the curve of the flywheel. Put in the bolts...tighten and your done. Rotate the flywheel, the tabs fall out..move on. I always found feeler gages heavy and hard to use in a curved magnetic situation so I came up with this while having a coffee and pondering. LOL!!!

You could use any type of plastic that measured 0.012" and get the same results but it seems I always have a dozen or more coffee cups in the trash can at the shop.

These pics are from my "49SP and 70E Build fron Scratch" thread. For anyone wanting to watch three saws built from start to finish with lots of pics it might be worth a look even if older Jonsereds are not your cup of tea. Most procedures are common to most saws.

Anyway that's some of my homemade (and very cheap or free)remedies to common problems

Another homemade setup I use frequently.

Pic 153...This is a foam coffee cup the brand name is "Philip Cup" The cover has a little plastic tab about 1/2" wide and perhaps 5/8" long These tabs measure 0.012" thick. There are two tabs in the foreground of the pic that have been removed from the cover.

Pic 155...These tabs being 0.012" thick (which is the air gap for just about every saw ign) and nonmagnetic make great spacers when setting up the air gap. This pic is of a two leg coil. The gap must be set at the magnets so I roll the flywheel with the magnets up, set the coil on the flywheel, pick up each leg up and insert a tab under each leg. The magnets pull the coil down onto the tabs which comform to the curve of the flywheel. Put in the bolts...tighten and your done. Rotate the flywheel, the tabs fall out..move on. I always found feeler gages heavy and hard to use in a curved magnetic situation so I came up with this while having a coffee and pondering. LOL!!!

You could use any type of plastic that measured 0.012" and get the same results but it seems I always have a dozen or more coffee cups in the trash can at the shop.

These pics are from my "49SP and 70E Build fron Scratch" thread. For anyone wanting to watch three saws built from start to finish with lots of pics it might be worth a look even if older Jonsereds are not your cup of tea. Most procedures are common to most saws.

Anyway that's some of my homemade (and very cheap or free)remedies to common problems

Very good, I like it.

You can also use a business card. That's what I did on my 850 and it works great. About a .010" thick piece of paper/cardboard with letters and numbers on it... :)

Tighten the screws that hold the coil onto the chassis, making sure it's up off of the flywheel. Turn the flywheel so the magnets line up with the coil, lay the business card on there, then loosen those screws and let the coil suck itself onto the flywheel. Tighten screws and turn flywheel to get the business card back.

To put the crank back in I just heat the case in the oven for an hour or 2 at 175° and put the crank and bearings in the freezer. Then I put on some welding gloves and work fast. They just kinda slide into place and I can just use the case bolts to pull everything together.

you are the man:rock:

Latest posts

Back