Homelite 205 (carb rebuilt, flooding petrol out of plug hole)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Predator1965

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi again,
Thank you for all your help and advice with the stihl 020av,
I have another head scratcher (for me anyhow)
I had a box of bits given to me and after playing about assembled most of a homelite 205 chainsaw, got it to spark, and then fire on a little fuel direct into the plug hole, so proceeded to put fuel in tbe tank and try again , this time no fire(removed the plug to find loads of fuel being spat out of the plug home when pulling it over)
I stripped and put the carb through my ultrasonic cleaner.
I ordered a gnd-27 kit as I couldn't get an rb kit anywhere (obviously a zama)
From memory c1q h17d (i think)
Put it back together today with the new kit installed but the symptoms remain.
Im thinking that the needle jet seat is at fault, which means another carb (if i can get one or a different one that works )
As usual no info anywhere as its so old(1991) im hoping someone here knows a bit about these saws?
There are bits missing but im not going to bother with them unless i can make it work first. Will beg for bits later lol.

Also the pipes to the carb left me a little puzzled too, there is a small pipe from the oil tank that appears to fit on a tube beneath the high and low jets(impulse line?? )
All the pipes have been in situ for a long time as they are frozen in shape due to age.
Lastly(for now) there is a short pipe which terminates with a tiny "T" peice, the top has a small red rubber bung on the end and tbe other part of the t goes nowhere(blew into it and it lets pressure in easily) , vent pipe for the oiler maybe? It connects onto a small metal nipple on the bar side of the cylinder.

Any info would be great

(One day ill stop doing puzzles without all tbe bits)

Kindest regards

Tel

One day ill help someone else in here if you guys dont beat me to it:chainsaw::crazy2:

Homelite 205? Any pics? I have no info on that one, not even a IPL. Those must have been sold overseas only. From your description it sounds like it’s a Homelite 180, 192, 200, Little Red variants that were sold here in the USA. These have a nightmare of hoses for the oiler system and primer bulb.

Thank you for the info, any thoughts on the flooding issue?
Here are some pictures oft he little red b#@&%%$d
IMG-20180312-WA0007.jpeg IMG-20180312-WA0005.jpeg
IMG-20180312-WA0009.jpeg

IMG-20180312-WA0011.jpeg

IMG-20180312-WA0003.jpeg
Picture showing the oil tank pipe which was connected to the small tube on the carb just beneath the high and low screws, ill have to take the saw apart again to show tbe other pipes and connections,(unless someone has a diagram of the connections to relate to.
I dont see how bar oil gets to the bar via the small tube on tbe carb, no other pipes come from the tank.
Dont know if you guys can see it but the other picture shows the small vertical hose from the nipple above the bar, has a rubber wedge shaped cap on top of a tee junction(i thought the oil pipe would go on there but if that's the case what goes on tbe small brass tube on the carb? (Am i really as thick as i sound? Lol)

Regards

Tel

Homelite 205? Any pics? I have no info on that one, not even a IPL. Those must have been sold overseas only. From your description it sounds like it’s a Homelite 180, 192, 200, Little Red variants that were sold here in the USA. These have a nightmare of hoses for the oiler system and primer bulb.
The carb on my 205 has no primer bulb attatched(its on tbe top of the fuel tank and there are no pipes attachrd to the stalk on the bottom of the bulb inside of the tank) so no return pipe (im confuzzeled)

You may find the model # on the white sticker. Eg: UT-10653 is a Super 2. Here's the IPL:

http://www.barrettsmallengine.com/partslist/homelitesuper2ut10653.pdf
Hi there,
I just took a look at the sticker(firstly i mis typed the date, its actually a 1996 model, and the UT number is 10757)
Hope this makes sense to somebody here lol.
And thank you for the ipl(if i gave the correct date in the first place i guess that would have helped?)

Still dumb as a box of rocks lol

Tel

May be a Homelite XL Little Red - they had a purge bulb in fuel cap. I think they made into the 1990s.
https://www.partstree.com/parts/homelite/saws-chainsaw/ut-10741-a-homelite-little-red-chainsaw/
You're a star doug!
The diagram explains a lot, on one of my pictures you can see a nice shiny bolt on the fuel tank(plugging the hole that the hose that goes from the mixture scews to tbe primer bulb should be) the small hose from the oil tank is currently fitted to that, the rubber cap i spoke about (pictured) with the tee on it that comes from the oil feed nipple should be inside tbe oil tank but has been cut and left in mid air by the carb, a little re routing is needed i think(hopefully the hole with the bolt wont be too big to seal now, couldn't see any sealing gromnets for the fuel lines where they enter the tank? Am i correct that the fuel pipe should seal tbe hole itself? Maybe in the market for a new tank as well as a couple of other bits that are awol.

Screenshot_2018-03-14-22-17-47.png

Thanks again guys

Tel

The fuel line should be a little bigger than tank hole - it will seal itself - no grommets.
Fine to be a lurker - you read, learn and do. Then answer questions from others.

These saws had a bunch of small hoses packed into a small space and easy to mix them up,that diagram is good. There was also a couple of tiny "duckbills" (one way valves) involved,one in the oil tank on the end of the impulse hose inside,and one on the outside of the fuel tank as a vent. The duckbill in the oil tank pressurized the tank to push the oil out. If you accidentally hook up the fuel line to the impulse fitting then you can suck fuel from the fuel tank into the crankcase. I would want to look at a Homelite parts page to see exactly what and where the parts and duckbills should be involving the fuel and oil tank.

These saws had a bunch of small hoses packed into a small space and easy to mix them up,that diagram is good. There was also a couple of tiny "duckbills" (one way valves) involved,one in the oil tank on the end of the impulse hose inside,and one on the outside of the fuel tank as a vent. The duckbill in the oil tank pressurized the tank to push the oil out. If you accidentally hook up the fuel line to the impulse fitting then you can suck fuel from the fuel tank into the crankcase. I would want to look at a Homelite parts page to see exactly what and where the parts and duckbills should be involving the fuel and oil tank.
Yeah, many pipes (glad i asked rather than bodge like the previous owner)
I have another question if soneone can assist?
I want to replace all the lines they look to be from googling, 3/32 id 13/64 od, from what i gather this equates to 2.1mm id by 5.1mm od, i can source 2mm x 5mm here in the uk, only correct stuff is in America (stupid shipping cost makes it pointless buying it even if they will ship to the uk)
Would the 0.1mm difference cause a sealing problem where the line passes through the tank?

Regards

Tel

Latest posts

Back