Homelite 650 lives!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topgut

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I not so long ago bought a Homie 650 on ebay. I finally had a chance to get in the garage with a few budies and see if it would run.
Well, at first I was a little concerned looking at some marks on the piston
through the carb. Turned it over by hand and felt a little resistance at the top of the piston stroke.

So, I/We pulled the plug, inspected and put some liquid wrench in the spark plug hole etc and turned it over slowly using the clutch.
Flushed the cyl with carb cleaner and dumped out the plug hole.
After a few minutes it started to feel good. Sooo, we went to compression test time.

Put the plug back in and She tested at a solid 150 psi and probably better but my arm wore out as my buddies laughed and popped open a beer.

Grrrrrrr!

Next we went after the carb/intake integrity. It was ugly!
Filthy in the carb housing under the filter. The carb boot was trashed and some bozo tried to goop it up in the past to make it work. Well, I'm betting he failed.

Next we cleaned everything and installed a new carb boot that luckily I had from a previous restoration. This task is a pain in the A@@ that requires at least 4 hands and at least 1 other holding a beer.

All said and done with the carb work then came the try me out. A few drops of good gas at AMSOIL 32:1 through the carb and it came to life in a big way. Next a pint in the tank with choked and it ran great!

Looking Fwd to trying it out in a nice chunk of 24" white pine etc.

Success!!!!!! Photos to follow.......

Displacement

I think its 100cc. The 750 is 112cc.
Anyway, if it runs 3/4 as good as my 750 I'll be very pleased.
Torque wins.

650 pix

I took some pictures of the 650 for those folks interested.
I also took pictures of the old carb boot.

The boot on the left is a good one.

The boot in the middle is the trashed one.

The boot on the right is for the compression release valve.

Check them out and have a nice day.

Last edited:
Gut, that comp release boot is the reason theres so much crud under the AF. Thats the single worst thing about the design of these saws.

I dont know what they did to some of these saws, but I have one thats actually uglier. Its got good comp, but it looks like they dragged it home down a gravel road at the end of the day.

It needs a carb boot but its allmost too ugly to work on, replacing the boot would allmost double its value. I have a secret method of getting the boot in without dissassembling the saw, but its not for the novice.:dizzy:

So whats a decent condition 650 homelite worth??
There is one at the local pawn.
Along with a Stihl 031, Homelite XL1,
Husky 2100, Mac 1629

The Stihl, Homie, and Mac are worthless. What condition is the 650 and the 2100 in?
What are they asking?

The 650 $199 the 2100 $250 Prices are subject to change as they are from memory!!! LOL
Both decent for there age.
Did I say there was a 031 $99 there too!!!
would be better off buying the 281 $150 or 288 $300 in the local buy and sell.
But I need another saw like a hole in the head!!!
But then again I just called about an add for a stihl 351 like new for $300,
turns out to be a 361, get to see it tommorow!!!

Last edited:
Buy the 3 uhhh 51, the 281, and the 2100. Then hotrod the p!$$ out of them all and go racing. Those three will all build out into good 4, 5, and 6 cube class winners. They also all three hold good resale value because of it.

Allot of folks don't think us racing guys really have much to do with old saw value. Compare the average used prices on a 181 vs. a 288. Same weight, more power in the 88cc saw, more parts available, but the 288 is just a hair too big to class out right in racing since its 5.2 cubes.

Latest posts

Back