Homelite 7-29

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turd Furgeson

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Just thought I'd share a couple pictures of my latest good bad decision. I picked this up from the sister of one of my co-workers, it was their father's. Turning it into a milling saw crossed my mind but it's too nice and too old to do that too. It'll probably be garage art and ride in the back of my 56 Chevy Truck when it gets on the road and goes to shows. The bar is original and the saw doesn't look like it has seen much use.

Once I get an aux tank rigged up And a fresh plug I'll see if she comes back to life.

Are these rare? What's the actual value of something like this? I see the same era Mac's and David Bradleys sit on craigslist forever at $100, but most of them are no where near this nice and from what I've read these 7-29's are much harder to come by.

Thanks,

TF

Attachments

• IMG_8062.JPG
    IMG_8062.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 81
  • IMG_8063.JPG
    IMG_8063.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 75
Hey Guys,

Just thought I'd share a couple pictures of my latest good bad decision. I picked this up from the sister of one of my co-workers, it was their father's. Turning it into a milling saw crossed my mind but it's too nice and too old to do that too. It'll probably be garage art and ride in the back of my 56 Chevy Truck when it gets on the road and goes to shows. The bar is original and the saw doesn't look like it has seen much use.

Once I get an aux tank rigged up And a fresh plug I'll see if she comes back to life.

Are these rare? What's the actual value of something like this? I see the same era Mac's and David Bradleys sit on craigslist forever at $100, but most of them are no where near this nice and from what I've read these 7-29's are much harder to come by.

Thanks,

TF
Gear drive, nice score. I bet with a little love, it'll roar to life. Clean points, new plug, carb kit, check and clean reed valves, clean tank, smile ( wear ear plugs ).

Gear drive, nice score. I bet with a little love, it'll roar to life. Clean points, new plug, carb kit, check and clean reed valves, clean tank, smile ( wear ear plugs ).

Belt drive reduction (and you better hope the belt is good.) No reeds, this monster uses a rotary valve driven off a crank throw. Not much to do here unless you completely tear the saw down. Do crank seals for sure. 60 year rubber parts are not known for reliability.

Belt drive reduction (and you better hope the belt is good.) No reeds, this monster uses a rotary valve driven off a crank throw. Not much to do here unless you completely tear the saw down. Do crank seals for sure. 60 year rubber parts are not known for reliability.
My mistake, I just got finished working on a 707g, I assumed this model was similar. I wold stil refresh the carb, fuel lines and clean the tank.:cool:

Hey Guys,

Thanks,

TF
nice find. does it have a steel cable pull start? i acquired a 26 LCS and it was the first saw i ever saw with a cable recoil.

Hey Guys,

Thanks,

TF
Pretty rare in that condition. I know if I had the chance I would buy one in that condition.

Thanks for the info. I didn't check the belt yet, the fuel line on this thing is pliable along with the gasket edges sticking out of the carb, so I'm guessing the belt is good. If not I actually dug up some info for a Bridgeport cog belt that works on these. It just needs to be narrowed a bit.

Thanks for the info and comments guys!

I guess I never gave much thought to how hard it is to find old saws in this nice of shape. I'm kicking myself a bit as there was a minty pioneer from the 60's in even better condition a week or
two ago on Craigslist.

i currently have drive belts for the 7-29, 26LCS 20MCS and 5-30N
There is apparently two widths of oddball spec belts, one would be used for the, Aug 53-Aug 54, 1 year 5.5 hp 5-30, gas came from a pressurized gas tank. :surprised3: It has a steel starter cable.
The 5-30N 1954-65 had a normal impulse pump fed carb.

Dave
5-30, EZ6, 7-19C, 707DA, XL2-Auto(2), Classic 200(2), SXLAO(2), XL12(2), 150, 240, 330(3), HB380(blower)

There is apparently two widths of oddball spec belts, one would be used for the, Aug 53-Aug 54, 1 year 5.5 hp 5-30, gas came from a pressurized gas tank. :surprised3: It has a steel starter cable.
The 5-30N 1954-65 had a normal impulse pump fed carb.

Dave
5-30, EZ6, 7-19C, 707DA, XL2-Auto(2), Classic 200(2), SXLAO(2), XL12(2), 150, 240, 330(3), HB380(blower)

agreed there are two different width belts the belt i sell is 1" wide and can be trimmed down if need be.

Would love to get feedback on the belt offered by jamesbeltman on ebay .
"
Part # 73216 5-30N (Earlier Years Up To Serial # 819682)
Part # 71270 26LCS (All) (Needs To Be Trimmed Down To 3/4")
Part # 71270 20MCS (All)

Part # 73216 7-29 (All) (Needs To Be Trimmed Down Width Unknown)
The Belt Is .5000 Pitch, Has 42 Teeth And Is 22-15/16" Long & Are 1" Wide
**Please be-aware the belt may need to be trimmed depending on the application
"

The .500 pitch belt being offered as 73216 would obviously not work on my early 5-30.
1584538317059.png.1584538787887.png

My early SN 5-30 is a 42 tooth belt, is .540 pitch and 28mm wide. However I can not vouch it had not, since 1958, been upgraded IAW the letter above.
The letter should reference 5-30N!!!! the 5-30 was only a one year saw...1953.
20MCS, 26LCS Belt 71270 narrow
Early 5-30, Early 5-30N, 7-29 belt73216 same as early belt but wider, 28mm wide (left belt )
LATE 5-30N, 8-29 belt77283 per letter above new shorter pitch/profile (.500 pitch? right belt?)
Did I get it right or wrong?

Would love to get feedback on the belt offered by jamesbeltman on ebay .
"
Part # 73216 5-30N (Earlier Years Up To Serial # 819682)
Part # 71270 26LCS (All) (Needs To Be Trimmed Down To 3/4")
Part # 71270 20MCS (All)

Part # 73216 7-29 (All) (Needs To Be Trimmed Down Width Unknown)
The Belt Is .5000 Pitch, Has 42 Teeth And Is 22-15/16" Long & Are 1" Wide
**Please be-aware the belt may need to be trimmed depending on the application
"

The .500 pitch belt being offered as 73216 would obviously not work on my early 5-30.
View attachment 808086.View attachment 808088

My early SN 5-30 is a 42 tooth belt, is .540 pitch and 28mm wide. However I can not vouch it had not, since 1958, been upgraded IAW the letter above.
The letter should reference 5-30N!!!! the 5-30 was only a one year saw...1953.
20MCS, 26LCS Belt 71270 narrow
Early 5-30, Early 5-30N, 7-29 belt73216 same as early belt but wider, 28mm wide (left belt )
LATE 5-30N, 8-29 belt77283 per letter above new shorter pitch/profile (.500 pitch? right belt?)
Did I get it right or wrong?
From what i found the belt im selling works with the 5-30N from referencing the part diagrams from homelite they list is as part #73216 which would then mean it fits the 7-29 saw as well, when looking into the 26lcs and 20mcs i found people used the 210H belt works which it and is .500 pitch with 42 teeth the belt i have is 1" wide im assuming the belt that fits the pully's 100% is wider but i have confirmed they use this belt on both 26lcs and 20mcs too.

Agreed that letter should inform people if it has the upgraded pulley.

Also i made sure to list the information regarding the belt i sell for buyers to do research into ensuring it will work for them, i sold 10 belts as of this morning already. I will wait to list more once i get feedback they have worked.

Back