Homelite 903, tell me about it

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duke Thieroff

Fill your hands, you SOB!
Reaction score
Did the standard searches, but would like to see a discussion about these saws. I might be getting one in here soon on trade, if all goes well and would be interested in the finer details, and am basically asking you guys to discuss the likes, dislikes and knowledge of these saws so a fella like me can do some learning.

Much obliged

Chris

Ran mine for years. A practical saw even now as its got pretty solid power & reliability. Fairly typical of that Homelite 82cc series prior to the much snappier 925...but while the 925 I have runs much high RPM's and has more power..it has a compression ratio that makes it tougher to start for an old guy. The 903 has a compression release....which is why mine got the bulk of the work for so long. Easy to start, solid power, never let me down from a reliability standpoint. For a old saw from that period, its one of the best to have as its still a practical option for doing real work.

Here's mine doing the typical work of that time for me...lots and lots of this type of thing. It had the power to make it easy..and firewood too. Found it was happiest with a 20inch bar & chain. Things like carb kits were still available from any saw dealer..although you will need to grab filters from ebay..be patient as the price varies radically on that stuff sometime wonder if posts like this effect pricing!

173657d1298554501-milling-05-jpg

Last edited:
Actually while they were similar in configuration, the 924 went to an electronic Ignition instead of points. Also the Cylinders while all either 77cc or 82 cc had differences. The 925's are stronger by far than the earlier points versions. They also had more compression to go along with the later cylinder's. They were all pretty much finger or open port cylinders but there was some progression in performance from the early 700's thru the 800's and into the early 900 series. Then the 924/925 was a radical change. I have had 800's, a 901, 903's, and still have a 903 and two 925's.

Here is the acres site listing of the 925..note the difference in operation RPM and ignition configuration...

Model Profile: SUPER XL-925

Last edited:
I really haven't tried..I was happy just the way it is. Too bad you are so far away..we will do a All American GTG at some point and I have boxes of that 82cc stuff we could mix and match to see.

I really haven't tried..I was happy just the way it is. Too bad you are so far away..we will do a All American GTG at some point and I have boxes of that 82cc stuff we could mix and match to see.
They ALL interchange. For real. You will get a variance in the way they deliver oil. All of three methods i believe.
I intend to build an SXL-925 with a compression release. Or maybe I'll get an XL-923 and go crazy.

By far the most interesting difference in the XL-90X series is the use of a choke lever, rather than the knob.
One less hole in the carb box. The distinguishing characteristic between the XL-903 & 4 is the 904 did not have points. All of these saws came in two displacement varieties, 77cc and 82cc, respectively.

The Homelite XL-904 is rare. The XL-903 is hen's teeth. And I finally got one! Unfortunately, it's had it's badge removed. But I know what it is. I should put a 923 motor and an electronic ignition chip in this stinker. Put a new muffler on it and go "Gas Monkey" on this thing. The inside is NICE!

I would more than love to. Unfortunately I do no have the room for one. If someone near Wouk like to host I would definitely contribute.

I haven't ran a 550 yet, so I'm eager to hear how they compare. I've ran a 450. Wasn't as strong as my 925 (and that's no surprise given the displacement gap).

I have already talked to him. I don't think he has anything planned any time soon. I have a 550 and it's a screamin demon. I have never seen a 925 in action so I can't speak for it. The 550 is 85cc so it should be interesting.

I have already talked to him. I don't think he has anything planned any time soon. I have a 550 and it's a screamin demon. I have never seen a 925 in action so I can't speak for it. The 550 is 85cc so it should be interesting.

The 550 has a significant speed advantage. Heck, a 410 properly tuned will enter the conversation.
But back to the XL-903. I bought one on Fleabay and am having my way with it. This thing started off gooey.

Inside.JPG messy.JPG motors.JPG

The motor on the left is the original with compression release. Note the squared off exhaust port.
The other thick ringed piston is going to be a replacement down the road.

The center motor is NOS for an XL-923. It also came with a comp release. It is installed. Ready to be broken in.

The motor on the right is also a hi-po thin ring motor from an SXL-925 which to the best of my knowledge, did not offer a comp-rel.

ignition.JPG sealedIGNITION.JPG
So now we have electronic ignition and you would have to remove the flywheel and service the points to ever find out.
Both the 903 and 923 offer the comp release and the linkage from the 903 mated up perfectly to the 923 valve.
You would have to take the muffler off and notice the oval exhaust port to know.

Attachments

• P1010001.JPG
    P1010001.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • P1010002.JPG
    P1010002.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
P1010001.JPG

Has a bright blue spark, missing some paint but a very solid body. You can almost hear a carburetor in the background I bet. Like most of the XL-700 and 800 series, the 903 utilized the same HS26 carb.

Latest posts

Back