Homelite C-series Planetary Gear Drive Wanted

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OL'Homey, I didn't even know you had made the last two post. The web emailer informer thing didn't inform me. Thanks for the seal info. YES, your reed pyramid is ready for a replacing. When you have that big of a gap, it will not only effect performance and overall operation of the saw, but it will lower compression as well (have to have air going into chamber "forced around piston" to create compression / i.e. air bleeding back out through carb and reeds won't allow for the pressure build up needed to force air around piston into chamber). Sure the engine will still run, may exhibit hard starting, but will run "all around" poorly.

Now I got my pics today and for anyone out there that has a saw like this, this is what I am looking for, only originally on the saw and not the "add on" option like this one (the complete saw)... However if you have just the gear drive, let me know that as well. I'm always interrested...

Here are some pics of it just sitting. You should be able to click on them, go to their larger image, then click on that one if you like to look at an even larger image ---

I've got lots more pics like these, but I figured you might like to see it in action a little too... Granted pictures can't tell you a whole lot about how the saw is being forced or how fast it is cutting, atleast these will show it in action... Before I get too many comments, yes this is my father running the saw "I can't be in two places at once" and yes he is still wearing his "going to town clothes". We just got back, got the grocerys in, I went out and filled the gear drive up with oil, my dad slipped on his house shoes from the looks of it and we gave the saw a quick trying. We didn't take the time to change attire or clothing... The log being cut was only 18 inches in diameter where we were cutting. It was too long and my father didn't want to cut on the 32 inch diameter log just behind or rather beside him, so we chopped this one up real quick... You can really burry the dogs in and force the cut with this one. I like it :cheers:

Well, I hope you like them :greenchainsaw: I'll try to post some more pics along, as long as I can get them uploaded in my spare time...

Thanks,
Greg

Here's some pics of it setting next to the tractor and winch... The biggest log in this pile is only 33 inches in diameter, if your wondering... We've got about 2 to 3 times this many piled up around the hill "out in the pasture" of just pine. We will return, weather permitting, to start cutting some nice 4 foot through popular and oak tomorrow... As you can probably tell, were no professional crew by any means, but we get by. Were just cutting some trees around our farm here...

Here's a pic of part of the farm where we will be logging before too long, but not currently... The hillside were curently working on is about as steep, but not as bad "you can get over it with regular 4x4" and this is very steep, whether the pic shows it or not... You have to use diff lock on all 4 wheels on some of it and all of it, the closer you get to the fence ;)

Hope you like them...
Greg

Last edited:
Here's some pics of the latest big popular we cut with this saw... Burnt through a full tank of fuel just cutting this one down, much less chopping "sectioning" and trimming it up and must have taken around 20 - 30 minutes to cut down with the 32/33 inch bar on this saw...

This popular measures 58 inches at the two most widest places, even though it may not look it ;)

Yes the saw is on top of this one for comparison, even though you may have to click on the image to see it...

Then this is just a further back picture of the same thing, to help show the size of this thing...

Hope you like them :D

I was wondering if in the saw shown in the pics is still .404 or has it been switched to .375.
I have a C-72 that I have converted to .375 and put a floating rim on it. This seemed to make a noticeable difference, I also ported the muffler.
I favor using this saw in less than desirable places because is has the guts and I don't have to worry about breaking anything.
I am always looking for more saws to work on, this also is one of my pass times. I try to spend at least one day a week with my saws.
Dave:D

No, this one (C9) has the optional and hard to find gear drive that was only available with the .404" pitch chain or the 1/2" pitch chain... I'm using the .404" pitch on all of my saws currently, but from advice of OL'Homey and yourself now, I may possibly switch to 3/8" pitch and use a 9 tooth sprocket... I've got the 8 tooth sprockets for these saws, but I want to speed the chain up a bit... The absolute first saw I'm going to do this to is my Modified C5 saw... This one will cut circles around any of my C-Series saws, so I thought it might just do better with the faster chain... You can see my post (??? In Regards To Quench and Compression) for all of the details and data on it ;)

Thanks,
Greg

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but does anyone have a source for 3/8 sprockets? I have a C5 that was converted to 3/8 long ago, but all the sprockets I can find now are .404.

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but does anyone have a source for 3/8 sprockets? I have a C5 that was converted to 3/8 long ago, but all the sprockets I can find now are .404.

hi kkesler so you are searching for a 3/8 that will fit on a C-5 ? the IPL only shows .404" 1/2" 7/16 " pitchs on the C 5 C 7 C9 series saws it dont even show a 3/8 "
calvin

hi kkesler so you are searching for a 3/8 that will fit on a C-5 ? the IPL only shows .404" 1/2" 7/16 " pitchs on the C 5 C 7 C9 series saws it dont even show a 3/8 "
calvin

Yes. It has a 3/8 on it now, but there are no obvious numbers or other ID on it. Just a plain spur sprocket/drum.

Yes. It has a 3/8 on it now, but there are no obvious numbers or other ID on it. Just a plain spur sprocket/drum.

have you tryed asking someone that has more experience with that older model i know some Homelite folks that have been in the business for years and just recently retired but they were homelite for almost 50 years so chances are they may know something what i can do for you is i will contact one of these dealers and ask them if its possible that a sprocket is available for this unit if so i will give you there contact info i know for sure oregon dont make any so its going to be kinda difficult to find one but if it has one on it now

chances are it can be found but where is the question that seems to be unanswered but knowing me i am good at locating things have so many connections that one of them may just have this we will it may take some time doing but we will try to locate a 3/8 " that will fit on there

calvin

if you can take a picture of that spur sprocket for me that will help me alot in identification purposes

Last edited:
No, this one (C9) has the optional and hard to find gear drive that was only available with the .404" pitch chain or the 1/2" pitch chain... I'm using the .404" pitch on all of my saws currently, but from advice of OL'Homey and yourself now, I may possibly switch to 3/8" pitch and use a 9 tooth sprocket... I've got the 8 tooth sprockets for these saws, but I want to speed the chain up a bit... The absolute first saw I'm going to do this to is my Modified C5 saw... This one will cut circles around any of my C-Series saws, so I thought it might just do better with the faster chain... You can see my post (??? In Regards To Quench and Compression) for all of the details and data on it ;)

Thanks,
Greg

Hi; This looks like and older thread but I am quite new to the forum and like older saws more than newer ones. I have more experience with IEL and Pioneer saws but really found this Homelite site more interesting than some threads I have come across. I have two H omelites sitting on a back shelf and have not done anything with them in years as I do not know anybody that would run or work on or have any knowledge, interest etc in them. O ne is an older 663 which am told is not a common one and the other is a 3100G from the early 70`s from what I gather it is also not too common. If anyone from the AS knows anything about these saws I would like to know if they are common or not and may bee if they would be worth keeping them around, they are in great shape cosmetically and if I put mixed fuel in them they start in a couple of pulls and run really well. Although if I were going out to the woods to do some serious cutting I would put carb kits in them as they idle at different speeds if they are tipped on the side or upside down. Pioneerguy600

Hi; This looks like and older thread but I am quite new to the forum and like older saws more than newer ones. I have more experience with IEL and Pioneer saws but really found this Homelite site more interesting than some threads I have come across. I have two H omelites sitting on a back shelf and have not done anything with them in years as I do not know anybody that would run or work on or have any knowledge, interest etc in them. O ne is an older 663 which am told is not a common one and the other is a 3100G from the early 70`s from what I gather it is also not too common. If anyone from the AS knows anything about these saws I would like to know if they are common or not and may bee if they would be worth keeping them around, they are in great shape cosmetically and if I put mixed fuel in them they start in a couple of pulls and run really well. Although if I were going out to the woods to do some serious cutting I would put carb kits in them as they idle at different speeds if they are tipped on the side or upside down. Pioneerguy600

If you ever decide to part with that 3100g, I would be everlastingly grateful if you would if you gave me a holler.I love old homeis andhave a good collection going.I have been looking for a 3100 for a couple of years now. So to answer your question, yes they are worth while.

If you ever decide to part with that 3100g, I would be everlastingly grateful if you would if you gave me a holler.I love old homeis andhave a good collection going.I have been looking for a 3100 for a couple of years now. So to answer your question, yes they are worth while.

Hi; Ok Hoss duly noted Thanks Pioneerguy600

chances are it can be found but where is the question that seems to be unanswered but knowing me i am good at locating things have so many connections that one of them may just have this we will it may take some time doing but we will try to locate a 3/8 " that will fit on there

calvin

if you can take a picture of that spur sprocket for me that will help me alot in identification purposes

Well, color me stupid. I took a closer look at it, and it is indeed a .404, or at least it has 404 stamped on it. Has had 3/8 chain on it since before I got it, but as I seldom use it I never really checked it. I made the mistake of assuming, I guess.

C5-sprocket03.jpg

C5-sprocket04.jpg

To start with I hope I'm not stepping across any borders with this post, I'm not really sure if it goes against any rules or not... Hi, to start with a little about myself... I collect and restore Homelite C-Series saws that are to this day still used in logging and wood cutting... By Homelite C-Series I am of course referring to the C5, C5G, C51, C51G, C52, C7, C7G, C71, C71G, C72, C9, C9G, C91 and C91G... Unfortunately the only saws I have thus far been able to acquire are the C5, C51, C7, C9 and C91... I also have a C5/C7 mix breed and by this I mean I'v got a C5 with a C7 crank, which due to the fact that you have the longer stroke of the C7 crank and the higher dome (.022") of the C5 piston, it makes for one very nice torqy saw... BUT the saws that to this day have managed to really allude me are of course the gear drive versions "the one's ending in G"... SO if anyone knows of someone who has one of these saws or has one themselves and is willing to sale it, feel free to give me an email at --- [email protected] --- Also if you aren't necessarily willing to sale or part with the whole saw, would you be at all willing to part with or trade the gear drive parts... By this I mean I would trade the following for the corresponding parts off of your saw... The parts I am referring to are the fuel tank, rewind housing with fan shroud, air filter cover and of course the bar cover complete with planetary gear drive unit along with sprocket/hub assembly "I have .404 pitch, 3/8 or 7/16 pitch (8 tooth) and even a 1/2 pitch although you can no longer get 1/2 pitch chain very easily"... The only saw I don't have to be able to trade parts for of course is the C71, but as long as your willing, I can send you C7 parts "engine was the same on all of the saws with C and 7 in the title"... Also If you have the assembled drive unit by itself #A-58544-A "number may have changed over the years, so please don't go by it alone", email me with this info...

(SIDE NOTE) --- In regards to this posting if I have posted anything in which I'm not allowed to post, let me know and please fix it if you can ---

Thanks for any replies or postings in regards to this matter,
Greg

Back