Homelite Chopsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STEVEGODSEYJR

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I found this Homelite chopsaw at a friends garage today. He said he had it running not long ago. I was wondering what this thing is worth? Probably not but but the "COOL" factor is WAY up there. He said he will get back with me on what he wants for it..shouldn't be much:rock::clap::msp_thumbup:
What do you think?
Steve

I'd want to make sure my teeth were nice and tight first.....

Looks like a XL-98. The power head is similar to that of a XL-925 chainsaw. Doesn't have provisions for an oil pump and no high speed screw adjustment on carb. I've got one and it is pretty handy. The air filter is large to accomodate the large amount of concrete dust that can be generated while cutting. If the air filter was maintained properly it will be a great saw. If not, it may have gotten a running bore job.

That looks like and XL88 or XL98 series demo/cutoff/concrete saw. Related to the XL800/900 series chainsaws as stated. They're usually pretty whipped. Take a good look at the P/C through the exhaust port before you pay too much for it.

I've been looking for one of those for a while. A friend has one, and it certainly is handy. If you get it and decide to not keep it, then I'd be interested in it (even if the P/C are shot). Great find!:D

I found this Homelite chopsaw at a friends garage today. He said he had it running not long ago. I was wondering what this thing is worth? Probably not but but the "COOL" factor is WAY up there. He said he will get back with me on what he wants for it..shouldn't be much:rock::clap::msp_thumbup:
What do you think?
Steve

Well, did ya get it? :)

Can those be fitted with a chain oiler system?

I believe the bosses are there, they just need drilled and tapped. The xl98c I have came from a man who was goingto convert it into a xl925. He told he had already done one and this was to be his second. It's in a box but, I think it will go back together as a chopsaw. ;)

Can those be fitted with a chain oiler system?

It can be done, but would be a lot of work. Some of the castings aren't machined for the oiler system. Drilling, tapping, etc would need to be done. On some of them, the oil filler hole in the tank casting is uncut/untapped. You're better off just selling the cutoff saw and buying a chainsaw.

I believe the bosses are there, they just need drilled and tapped. The xl98c I have came from a man who was goingto convert it into a xl925. He told he had already done one and this was to be his second. It's in a box but, I think it will go back together as a chopsaw. ;)

I've got a good used XL900-series cylinder I'm saving in case I happen upon a 'chopsaw in a box' project like that
:cheers:

Last edited:
I wish I would have known, I could have stuck that and the xp1020 in the same box and made you an irresistible offer. :jester:

Nah. That would have just bummed me out more Tom. Once the cash flow thing picks up again (should be in early July) I'll hit you up to see if you want to part with the XL98C in a box...:D

Back