Homelite Super XL spewing oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trooper1954

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi everyone, Was here a few weeks ago while rebuilding an old Homelite Super XL and received lots of great help. The saw is now back together and running, but after a few minutes oil leaks out of the exhaust cover. Anyone any ideas as to how to fix this?
Thanks for any help

It is probably a cracked copper oil line that runs right close to the muffler that would be my guess

What fuel mixture are you running?

Do you have the carburetor tuned to rich on the L or H side?

Did you use any lubricant in the bottom end?

What specifically did you do during the rebuild?

Thanks tifandbrian, I'll check that out.
Duke Thieroff... I replaced the fuel line and fuel filter, cleaned carb thoroughly, cleaned the fuel tank thoroughly, and put in a new plug....I probably shouldn't have called taht a rebuild, more of a good servicing. Anyhow, I'm running 32:1 fuel/oil mix as per recommendations, and the only other oil in the machine is chain oil, and this model also has a manual oiler.....perhaps that's the problem? Anyhow, thanks for the response...I'll check the copper line next...

As for the carb settings, I have not touched them since getting the saw so don't really know what they should be set at. The saw was not running when I got it, and the fuel tank was completely gummed up with black sludge. The saw is now running, but does not idl unless there's a bit of pressure on the throttle trigger. Can you advise what the carb settings should be and how to adjust?
Thanks.

Do you know which model carb your saw has in it? If it's a super XL auto it could have a tillotson in a couple of models, a walbro, or a Zama: if you have the Walbro, a good starting point is to back the screws all the way in then turn out 1 1/4 turns out on each side as a starting point. If it's just a super XL, it will either be a tillotson or Walbro.

Woodeneye, thanks for the info....here's some pics of the carb, but I cannot see anything on it that would determine the make. There is a serial number where the arrow points, but it's unreadable. Is this any help in determining the make? If not, I'll try and find a magnifying glass to read the numbers.
Thanks.IMG-20150110-00179.jpg IMG-20150110-00180.jpg

woodeneye, the numbers indicated by the yellow arrow in my previous photo reads "81798043".
Can find no other numbers or description on the carb.
Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back