Homelite XL Replacement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattm

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am looking to replace my Homelite XL with an older Stihl saw that is comparable ( read: no taller) in powerhead height as it needs to fit inside a Pelican case I have strapped to the front rack of my 4 wheeler. Something that has good parts availability, is relatively easy to repair and would have no trouble running a 16" bar. The saw is just used to get me outta situations that I shouldn't have gotten into in the first place. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

015L or 020AV would be the older top handles.

I'm not sure if they are taller than an XL, if you tell me how tall your XL is can measure my 020 for you.

The 015 should be a little cheaper and easier to find.

015L or 020AV would be the older top handles.

I'm not sure if they are taller than an XL, if you tell me how tall your XL is can measure my 020 for you.

The 015 should be a little cheaper and easier to find.
The case is 8.75" deep so something no taller than say 7.5" w/ handguard would be about right. Thank you for your help. How is the 015 for parts availability and repairs?

The case is 8.75" deep so something no taller than say 7.5" w/ handguard would be about right. Thank you for your help. How is the 015 for parts availability and repairs?

My 020AV measures about 8.5" from the bottom to the top of the handle (it doesn't have a hand guard).
I also measured an 019T and it's about 9.5" tall so that would definetly be a no go.
I don't have any complete 015's at the moment but I think they might be a little smaller.

There aren't many 015 and 020av parts still available from the dealer but used parts aren't too hard to find.
The worst thing is that the fuel lines are no longer available, there are aftermarket fuel lines on ebay for the 015 but for the 020 I have not seen any replacements.

Just a thought: A Poulan 25DA will easily fit where an XL would and you can still find most parts for them. Make sure the oiler works though..Maybe for a little more money you could buy a newer top handle saw of about any make.

Latest posts

Back