Homelite ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zackgro

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
is a Homelite a good saw for a 12 year old if not what would be its for my brother

why does a 12 year old need a chain saw
also if i did i would give him a saw with a chain brake and a super dull chain but i wouldn't eve give a 12 year old a saw that is me to many things can go wrong

I don't know your brother....but I would suggest no chainsaws ubtil he is an adult or nearly so. Tools that can hurt or kill you need a certain
level of maturity before they get the respect they deserve and a level of physical maturity and coordination that a lot of adolescents lack. Having said that, I realize that numerous twelve year olds are tearing madly across the prairies on dirt bikes as we type. If they wind up maimed or dead their parents will grieve and berate themselves for letting them ride but at least stupid government bureaucrats aren't as likely to come after the family for child neglect as if they were using a motoirized cutting tool.

zackgro said:
is a Homelite a good saw for a 12 year old if not what would be its for my brother

That would depend on the twelve year old and how mature and responsible he is. They have to start sometime but I think I'd supervise closely and start him off on easy ground-level stuff. The make of saw isn't really a factor. They all can bite you! I"ve never taught a kid to saw but I think it would be a real scary deal. I could go on and on about all the safety stuff involved but if you don't already know all of that then find someone else to teach him...its the biggest favor you can do him.

The only 12 year old to use a working chainsaw would have a leap year birthday.:laugh: I did get my grandson a McCulloch Mac 115 when he was 5.
No chain or spark plug. It gets alot of use and abuse. Might try to put a toothless chain on it this year,now that he will be 7.The chain is called empty house or complete skip - depending on the manufacturer.:laugh:

When I was 12, I got my first hunting license. I was trusted with a deer rifle and roamed the woods without injury to others (not even deer). Well I can truly say I was more careful than most adults. I would suggest you get a gift certificate for one of the local "good reputation" saw shops. Your brother can go and discuss which saw might be best for his needs. The owner of the shop will, hopefully, give good and complete instruction. He will also include recommendation for safety gear. With this knowledge, and instruction, your brother should be on his way to a safe and fruitful woodcutting experience. Mike

If you're talking about a current-production Homelite, the answer is NO. Though you can get them to work properly, and occasionally one slips by quality control and is actually pretty reliable from the factory, in the end most of them are a pain in the behind. The refurbished 33cc units that you can find for $99.99 are a pain in the butt unless you know how to get and keep them running. I would not give these saws to a novice, where reliability is more important.

If I was buying a saw for a youngster, I'd aim for something that is simple, reliable, safe (think: no old saws w/o chainbrakes), and able to be serviced/supported. The latter point is reason enough not to get 'em a modern Homelite. Incidentally, I started with a little homlite XL-2 (26cc) when I was about that age. I got a lot of use out of that saw. I was schooled in proper, safe use, and never had a problem. By the time I was 14, my cutting was unsupervised and by 16 it was making me money.

Of the current crop of smaller saws, the Echo tail-handle saws would be my first choice. A CS-346, for example, is a good saw that will last a youngster for years, can be serviced (or parts had) almost anywhere that sells saws since almost every place I've ever seen saws sold sells small Echos, and in skilled hands can accomplish a lot of work. Plus, I have never seen a series of saw that can take as much abuse/neglect/ill-maintenance as these little Echos.

I'd have to agree, that while it depends upon the 12 year old, but very few 12 year olds have any business running a saw. There are exceptions, but as a general rule, I would have to say wait a couple years.

As to the Homelite, any current production from them isn't a good choice for anyone. Although I guess if you want a piece of junk he can't ever get running anyhow to keep you brother from hurting himself, it might be a good choice :laugh: .

yes he does know how to run a saw me and my dad have been teaching him how to for about a year.

His profile says 21.

I was much younger with my first saw with no suppervision. It DOES depend on the kid.

A poulan seems like the ticket. If he keeps the cheapy going then he will appreciate a good saw.

Fred

Well old mate, i've done likewise starting my 13 year old son on a late model saw with all the safety features and some good sound advise backed by years of experiance and closely supervised.

If the young fella pays attention they learn quick and easily but please don't teach improper techniques in starting a saw that could lead to injury later on.

I shudder when i see people drop start a saw, it's great till you look down and half or all you leg is missing and i don't recall any manufacturer recomending drop starting a saw, as it could lead to a shorter and very painful life.

All saws should be started on the ground with your foot or shoe toe placed into the flat section of the rear handle and your left hand holding the front handle quite firmly in the kneeling postion this saves losing you balance and falling onto the saw ( shudder ).

Last but not least read the bloody owners manual thats why it comes with a new saw !!

Mc Bob.

Yes make them read the owner's manual. Two lessons at once. Good advice Ozflea.

Fred

I can't remember exactly, but I was probably 10-12 when I first used a chainsaw. I know I had a 410 single-shot when I was 10. So long as he's being trained properly and following safety guidelines and obviously not working with too large of a saw, I think its great that he's learning. First saw I used was a Super 2 that actually belonged to my cousin. Dad had a David Bradley and then a Homelite 360. He didn't let me use the 360 until I was a bit older. I couldn't lift the David Bradley long enough for there to even be a question of using it! A used Homelite XL (the little ones) or Super 2 would be a great saw, but I wouldn't recommend any new Homelites.

Dan

Something with a chainbrake, safety chain, and a short bar.

Are you thinking brand new saw or something older?

Do they even make chaps and other safety gear that would fit a 12 year old properly?

Hi,
I started running a chainsaw when I was 10. I have been running a chainsaw unsupervised for over 2 years now. It all depends on the 12 year old, and how responsible he is. I recommend at least chaps. By the way I'm 15 now. As stated a Echo or small Stihl. As long as he is instructed properly, go for it.

Ryan

Funny- I was using firearms when I was 8.-I was very aware of the harm that could be caused by shooting without a safe backstop/ unsafe direction and was very cautious and safe. I was around chainsaws then but I gassed and oiled them and carried the cut wood-Running a saw was something I recognized as a dangerous activity. Shooting wasn't dangerous because unloaded guns don't fire. Guns on safe don't fire. Guns are always pointed in safe directions so that if the impossible happens and the safetied gun fires unintentionally noone will be harmed (In other words Guns were potentially dangerous but always controlled to mitigate the danger). I recognized intuitively that maintaining constant control of a saw wasn't as easily accomplished.

I started playing with saws when I was 12 with an old Poulan that I "borrowed" from my dad.
And, yes, he's still p*ssed about it, though I gave it back about 3 years ago.:D

Guns and chainsaws are very similar, good one Stumper. I say go for it with care. Up here if that was ever in the newspaper letters woud pour in asking the govt. to take away your kid.

I agree it depends on the 12yr. old. I started cutting wood with my Dad very young.First with a small axe. Then I got to use his double headed axe. Then a small homelite xl. He was always we me and I was instructed to never cut with a chain saw alone no matter how old I was. It has stuck with me for over 30yrs. And I'm going out Friday 2-3-06 and Saturday 2-4-06 to cut and had no one to go so my dad said he would drive the 2nd truck and stay on the job so some one was there. He's 79yrs. old and still there for me. He didn't want me to pass on the jobs. I hope I can do the same for my kids someday. P.S. some of the best times I've had was cutting wood or hunting with my dad, no sisters no mom nagging. Just be safe, sounds like you got the right frame of mind and are truly looking out for your younger brothers safty.

Latest posts

Back