homemade miniature skidder question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMFARM 2009

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
if you where to make a miniature skidder with a blade on front , boom pole on back and winch...oh and a full roll cage of course..
1. what size would you shoot for? 54"w x 100" L?
2. what would you start with? atv,utv, minitruck,trencher,tractor,or from scratch?
3. how much horsepower?
4. 4x4? or 2wd?
5. tracked or wheeled?
6. how fast would you want it go?
7. would you integrate your splitter into design of this machine?

i have seen the post of the trencher thread.. this got me thinking how handy it would be to have one set up this way.. downfall of trencher is the ground speed..
tractors are ok but can be top heavy in logging.. i dont want something as big as a normal skidder.. but also dont want an atv...too little versatility.
i am looking for something to clear brush (tops) and skid smaller logs to truck and trailer and shove logs up ramps onto trailer.
i have thought of modifying a small truck for this purpose..but would rather have something slightly smaller in size..
what ideas do you have? what would be your dream machine for this purpose?

An ASV RC-30 is smaller than that, and will out-lift, out push, out everything, than what you could fabricate.

I have seen the plans and finished products that are built at machinebuilders.net and can't understand what the attraction is.

Pedro is 46.5 inches wide, 71 inches tall, and 100 inches long with the standard bucket. 10 gpm at 3000 psi at 2800 rpm aint glorius for hydraulic accessory power, but its there at the lift arm.

I have forks I intend to put a grapple clamp onto. I have a rootrake with top clamp, and the standard bucket.

I regularly grab green logs, 20" dia x 8' long, three at a time in the root rake, and its a heavy rake in my opinion, and move them wherever I want. Thats kind of why I want to fabricate the top clamp for the forks, I am sure I could get a fourth if I had the cubic capacity with the reduced weight of the forks versus the rootrake and clamp.

See my webshots album for photos of Pedro working.

I had a similiar idea not too long ago. I could see building something from scratch if you have the means to do so. I would be more enthusiastic about building something if I had a large tract of land to work off for some time. But for the sake of converstation, I would start a set of Rockwell axles and some filled combine tires. Nothing too big, but big enough to get the job done. Keep the center of gravity low. Center pivot, diesel, winch and blade. Unless you have a good bit of these parts lying around, you could get the cost of the project real close to the price of buying a nice tractor.

the reason for this is i do fence rows a lot... but most of the time you cant get the truck and trailer all the way back, due to mud etc. i have run a skidsteer for this before , but if anyone has bottomed one out before you know its no fun getting it back out...i do have some woodlots to cut in for the summer, but i need something narrow for the one... he doesn't want me to have to cut trees down to get in and out. i also dont want some huge machine to haul around for this...if i build something it will be on a budget of $2000.00 for the build...i do have tractor parts engines transmissions etc laying around.. so putting something together isn't a big deal... just wondering if anyone else has a better idea other then the skidloader...like i have said i have sunk my skidloader before numerous time due to the swampy ground...

Hmmmmm...narrow and still have floatation and enough umph to skid with...? May be asking a bit much. There is a reason why skidders are as big as they are. Hard to get much skinnier that a skidsteer already is. Do you run tracks...?

ETA...If you can't get in and out with a track machine, you probably shouldn't be in there... ;)

Last edited:
Steiner or Ventrac with blade on front and arms on back to run the boom pole or pull an arch.
Skidsteer would be most cost effective in the long haul and of course can be used for many other things and will retain resale value. Anything home built will have very little resale and when it breaks you have to fix it, sometimes by refabricating parts.

i have looked at some steiners & ventracs before... i like the model they have that tilts for the slope you are on... the hillside model...just not sure if power would be enough..

the only tractor i have narrow enough is a 41 allis c it has no 3 pt...but i could fab a winch on it to work...not too sure if i would sink it or not????? see this is a good suggestion... i have a 44 allis c with 18.4 - 26's on it but its too wide for the trailer...
example of one of my days with the skid steer---- i sunk the skidsteer in the woods, over three hundred feet in , so i go get the truck to pull it out, sunk the truck half way back in the woods... buried it to axles..... had to call my friend to bring his chipper truck out to pull me out... then drove 30min home to get a tractor... hauled it out to pull skidsteer out...then i go back a week later to find all the logs i had cut are gone....go figure..

the only tractor i have narrow enough is a 41 allis c it has no 3 pt...but i could fab a winch on it to work...not too sure if i would sink it or not????? see this is a good suggestion... i have a 44 allis c with 18.4 - 26's on it but its too wide for the trailer...
example of one of my days with the skid steer---- i sunk the skidsteer in the woods, over three hundred feet in , so i go get the truck to pull it out, sunk the truck half way back in the woods... buried it to axles..... had to call my friend to bring his chipper truck out to pull me out... then drove 30min home to get a tractor... hauled it out to pull skidsteer out...then i go back a week later to find all the logs i had cut are gone....go figure..

With a winch on a tractor you can pull yourself out if stuck.

You shouldn't be able to stick a ASV. I've lots of experience with clay-marl-gumbo, and super soft sand.

Comparing an ASV Track machine to your average Bobcat Skiddy with tires? Not a testament.

I can only suggest you rent an RC-30.

I've owned a large number of wheeled and tracked iron in my first careers, Landscaping and Coastal Environmental construction, and the only thing I ever wanted to keep or have more of, were the ASV RC series. The original ASV Posi-Tracks were beasts, but build quality sucked, always stupid little things breaking or coming loose.

I can appreciate you having tools, parts and know how to build something, but I feel the engineering will let you down. If too small, can't work with a load and deal with the environment too.

Fwiw- Articulating center is one thing I would definitely NOT do.

The RC- 30 fits your need too well to ignore.

Not to diss the ASV, as I too have run them and love them, but the OP said he had a $2000 budget. You won't find an ASV near that. What about an old CJ Jeep? They are pretty manuverable in the woods, and will pull quite well. Many tire and wheel options for floatation and traction. Just a thought. Also, you could modify the Allis C. Add a winch, pull a log arch with it, whatever. I've got a '41 C that works well for dragging stuff around the yard. If you do use the tractor though, add weight to the front, and be carefull how you hitch up to your loads. Its kinda easy to get the front wheels off the ground. I definately wouldn't skid with it on much of a slope.

Yes, no doubt you can't get an ASV RC-30 that cheap.

I just am not convinced you can get a mini homemade to be powerfull enough to lift and or drag.

The website I mentioned (and won't again, not good form) has plenty of examples.

On the other hand, a used compact truck, or a used old school lawn tractor with a real gear box and trans could be modified.

Around here, the gray market compact tractors in 2wd can be had for about 2k. Mits, Yanmar, Isuzu all good starts to diesel frankentractors.....

A Steiner might do the job. I used to run a 420 with a 5 foot mowing deck. You can get a three point hitch as an option for the back of it. The downside is that with the dual wheels you're running almost 6 feet wide (the OP mentioned width was a issue).

Those things are freaky good on slopes. They will go up, down, and across a hill that you need to use you're hands to help you if you were to attempt walking up one. I never pulled with one though. But, when the roll bar contacts a stout low hanging tree limb, if you should choose to proceed, the machine will lift its entire front end as high as you dare.

I would suggest an old willys jeep with a plow and build a boom off the back.. mount a winch in the back, and run the cable out the boom, to pull logs and get yourself unstuck.

Latest posts

Back