homemade miniature skidder question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I waited a long time to find this one. The crane was given to me years ago and I have used it to pull engines and now with the deck on the unimog so high I use it to load the wood it has winch in base and it extends to about ten feet It can pick three 16'' 8 foot spruce logs no problem or a v8 with trans and tcase. Chained up I can pull decent sized trees through patches of alder and it just rips through it is a real tractor. I just put on dot stamped XM47 425/75/20 tractor tires the pics are the rigs I pulled out last week the crash pic is what happened when i was out alone on dunes and went down one too steep and cartwheeled to the bottom then had to walk a couple miles and cross fast river with broken collar bone. Oh what fun it will be in the woods today gotta get four cords out this weekend. Sunny windy to 75 and right around zero but the wind wont be in this valley. thanks for the compliments I have used suzuki samarai with terra tires to get wood and everything else. good luck with your project a common practice up here are swivel frames.

unimogs are awesome trucks.... that is some set up.. it would fit the bill here almost. but around here the unimogs i have seen are $50,000.00.
the old willys jeep good call. it would be cool. i agree the c's are very lite in front.
if i decide to use it for that i will hang the blade on front and some weights.
one of the guys at work has a s10 he got it stuck and blew the intake and well,maybe roasted the engine. i can probably pick it up cheap. it would be a decent jumping off point.
i was thinking maybe a wrecker type boom on back and winch. blade on front,cut and channel frame front to back and remove as much excess body work as possible,bigger tires, 10 ply of course. and shorten the frame also.maybe two to three feet shorter. this would give a tight turning radius. hey i might even chop the cab down to a single seater. i have been looking for something to use but haven't had something scream at me (buy me!)..lol
but right now i am waiting for our taxes to be done....
did you know if you start a business and close it down you will get more of a return? how f'd up is that? we where paying almost $10,000.00 a year most years just in taxes closed that business down and got $20,000.00 back. stupid huh? go figure. goes to show ya the gov. doesn't want you in business....

Small skidder

c7434050_10_11_12_09_26_29.jpg

attachment.php

Something along this type of design ?

awesome... yes, thats is what i am shooting for... something like it... but would want a blade on front to push some brush.... thanks for the pics....i have seen something similar before but where used in mining of some type. they where tracked units but articulated like these. the driver was up front and the bed tilted etc. but cant find anything locally. but these are cool...
rep sent to ya...thanks

pretty ingenious..nice , you need to post this on the thread for the guy needing a winch...this would fit his bill perfectly.

I see a lot of tube videos and pics coming from Europe , I guess the machines are not viable over here .
Some look as simple as a Gravely hooked up to a trailer and still get the job done .

I'd just find a old belarus tractor, they went bankrupt. Made in Russia, rugged drive train, simple to work on, they don't bring **** at farm sales down here, everyone is afraid of parts availability. There are enough of them in fencerows/salvage yards where that shouldn't be a problem. Hydraulics usually leak on them and are a little slow but adequate, most are 4wd, put you a boom pole and winch on the back/blade on the front. They made them from 20hp to over a 100 hp.

c7434050_10_11_12_09_26_29.jpg

attachment.php

Something along this type of design ?

looks good, Never saw one with that set up but have seen the compact tractor 30 hp. and 3 point around might be something to look in to. Seems like every thing Anyone would need if it is heavy enough to do anything useful with. like skidding logs.

The bottom tractor with a dump bed on it is a Pasquali Das has one with a loder its shorter than that. THey can be narrowed to 30 inches. IT has a pto and 3 point hich and also the pto can be put into ground speed mode to pull a power trailer making them 6 wheel drive. On building a skidder there were a few small ones when I was 16 that were built by a handfull of folks that were skid steered, articulated, and 4 wheel steered. THe best 2 were made from a truck tandem made into a and articulated rig and a large skid steer unit built to drag trees for stick wood. I wished I could have gotten pics of them as they were marvels in their day. Heres a pic of the loader less 986 1 cylinder pasquali. Its a mean little tractor it had maunual steering the 991 we have with the loader has power steering

Last edited:
that thing has to be a brute... nice little tractor...perfect size for firewood, small enough to haul easy and big enough to do a decent job,nice...

attachment.php

M274 Mule - Supplies/Personnel Transporter
I'd would like to have something like this because I think it would be handy on some small clean ups .

Another idea ,

[video=youtube;lpCFE5UjCw0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=lpCFE5UjCw0[/video]

Production Mini Skidder

[video=youtube;qiikJRVDpUM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=qiikJRVDpUM[/video]

All kinds on the Tube videos and these had to start somewhere .

i can say i think the iron horse is the perfect tool for many tree companies & landscapers the load capacity and light foot print is awesome. i will be calling for pricing on this one..i have some other applications here on the farm it would be good for also...it gets real soft here in the springtime.thanks for the info.
i tried to rep ya but it wont let me...

Last edited:
Back