homemade skidder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick62

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
It didn't start out that way, but pressed into service.
Jeep frame, 2 toyota front axles (4 wheel steer was the orig idea), Datsun transfer case, and a 2.6 mitsu-dodge minivan engine and auto tranny.

It 4 wheeled pretty fair, and a buddy I know wanted to know if it could skid logs... So I have been skidding for a couple of days now. For a machine that weighs less than 3000 it pulls pretty well. Learned a lesson yesterday when I managed to destroy a BFG mud tire. Slapped another skin on it today and pulled another 4-5 cords of wood up the bank.

Meanwhile I have been thinking of creating a REAL machine for this. It ain't worth it, but I like building machines.

-Pat

Somehow I think Pat's skidder looks like this.
John
jemez3-lg.jpg

TreeCo said:
Hey Gypo if you keep showing these guys how to fell trees to get usable saw logs even those that don't know the difference may give up the arborist thing and become loggers.

I suppose when I get geriatric and inflexible I wont have a choice but to succumb to the landlubbers inadequacies of sawmanship ... loggers=low skill!

Hows this homemade unit for you. It would be a beast for skidding out logs too.

Last edited:
A friend of mine made it. It is 4 wheel drive. He used solid truck axles of a 2 ton I believe and then used a chevy 292 engine to power it. He has alot of time stuck into it. The pictures were taken at our local antique club show. It was just by chance he hand the allis metal around to finish it off nice like that.
Later
Bob

Very nice, he's obviously passionate about his building, you pass on my well wishes for the effort, that's great and a darn good strong unit he's built.

Maybe ole Gypo might splash out on same paint after he sees this one. :)

Hey Dan, I think it took me 10 seconds to cut that tree down. had it been Ekka, it would have taken 100' of rope, 6 chippers, 5 groundies, 7 dull saws, 3 days, 90 ft of summerwood and an invoice a yard long! Not to mention 6 group hugs and 41 stinky fingers
Hahaha

Pssswh

As if.

Took you one and a half years to make a 3 second video.

And by the way, WTF is 90' of summerwood?

Latest posts

Back