Just a idea floating in my head...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love the tires idea!!

That is worthy of investigation :msp_biggrin:

The most interesting aspect of this creation is the transfer case. I want to ditch the 203 (more accuratly save the parts for a possible 203/205 for another project:msp_w00t:) Back to this... what I want is somewhere between 4 or 5 to one gear down. Not so much for the extra pulling power, but because it is far more controllable.
View attachment 249649

if that pic worked, it gives you the idea with a few changes. I would build a sealed box and am thinking about a double reduction two chains and a jack shaft. Perhaps use a #80 for the primary, and a #100 on the second. Run it in gear lube, and not cowboy it too hard. I think a auto tranny would be gentler against it, and comes with a PARK! which is nice when ya gotta slap a log on the back. I just can't see dumping many many $$$ into paying someone else for a really fancy atlas transfer, and use a granny tranny, and pay some more $$$ to get the driveshafts built, etc. I can create this, and have done nutty stuff before. Sometimes it works pretty good.

-Pat

Pat, a lot of mud boggers up here build chain T-cases similar to your pic. I think they're running closer to 3.5:1 IIRC, using single reduction with a double 80 chain. Seems to work well, and the one I helped a buddy build held up well behing a mild big block turning 23.1x30 combine tires at all 4 corners. Mud is sure different than a hard pull on solid ground, but I don't think you'd have a problem with it with a small block and smaller tires.

We intentionally left it unsealed, for easy repairs if it needed it (never did). It's not a lot of trouble to just shoot some chain lube on it once in a while, and setups like this run in the open on farm machinery for hundreds of hours before the chain needs replacing.

Forgot to add, I'm with some of the other guys, ditch the rear suspension and solid mount the axle.

Last edited:
If you really need to get logs out of the woods and don't mind some tinkering, look for an older smallish skidder, running ones can be had around these parts for $6,000. - $8,000., you can use them and tinker them into better condition and then you can resell it if need be and get most of your money back. Homemade skidders can be ok, but you'd have to spend huge amounts of time and money to have something that doesn't work half as well as a factory skidder. A factory built machine can churn it's way through just about anything you'll come across, whether it be a hill, mud, rocks, fallen trees..........a homemade truck/skidder will get hung up a helloffa lot quicker and you'll be looking for someone with a skidder to came haul you out if your homemade winch doesn't have the guts to pull it out. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Back