Just a idea floating in my head...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick62

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Some fairly knowledgeable folks here to bounce a idea across. Let me know if I am nuts or what :dizzy:

I need a small skidder, and have the idea to build one out of available stuff. I have access to a 3/4 ton 4x4 truck. So I do some thinking, and came up with the following possible idea(s). Gotta kind of do it on a budget, sort of.

Grab the truck and ditch the body entirely. Yank the 203 full time transfer case. Possibly ditch the 400 (GM) engine as well. Use a small V8, or inline 6 with a auto tranny. Build a transfercase like the mud guys do with large chains and sprockets. shoot for about 4.5 to 1 ratio. The truck should already have 4.1 in the axles. Put some big meats on it. Build a boom like a normal skidder and put a electric winch on it. boat tail the beast, sort of like the big boys. Go to the front and make a small set of forks to help with decking. I already have some cylinders, valves, and pump so the expense there is minimal. Function not form. Not building it to be pretty, just able to pick up and skid some logs efficiently.

Ideas? Thoughts? Suggestions?

You're nuts, and this idea won't work for so many reasons that it's hard to know where to begin. The short end of the stick is that in the end you'll spend so many man hours, and so much money on it to end up with a machine that doesn't do what it's intended, and has a resale value of zero. Go out and work the same number of man hours, save the money, then buy a half decent machine that will work properly. When you're done with it you'll get pretty much the same $ back.

If you're going to go ahead, then start by welding the spider gears on the diffs. It still won't work as a skidder, but at least you'll be able to drive it anywhere and have some fun.

Shaun

Some fairly knowledgeable folks here to bounce a idea across. Let me know if I am nuts or what :dizzy:

I need a small skidder, and have the idea to build one out of available stuff. I have access to a 3/4 ton 4x4 truck. So I do some thinking, and came up with the following possible idea(s). Gotta kind of do it on a budget, sort of.

Grab the truck and ditch the body entirely. Yank the 203 full time transfer case. Possibly ditch the 400 (GM) engine as well. Use a small V8, or inline 6 with a auto tranny. Build a transfercase like the mud guys do with large chains and sprockets. shoot for about 4.5 to 1 ratio. The truck should already have 4.1 in the axles. Put some big meats on it. Build a boom like a normal skidder and put a electric winch on it. boat tail the beast, sort of like the big boys. Go to the front and make a small set of forks to help with decking. I already have some cylinders, valves, and pump so the expense there is minimal. Function not form. Not building it to be pretty, just able to pick up and skid some logs efficiently.

I know where there is an old forklift built almost exactly like you are talking about.People used to build all kinds of stuff out of trucks.I don't know why you would want to ditch any of the drivetrain you already have, though.The first skidders we had were built on a Ford 8N.Good luck and take pictures.

if'n you need an excuse to build a trail toy, then by all means, go ahead.

if'n you actually need a skidder, then...you're nuts.

you'd be better off to find a decent 4wd tractor, put a cage on it, and skiddin' plate on the 3pt, and be nice to 'er

or find a decent used skidder

have fun!

How about this one...

[video=youtube;i1d3PRptYgg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1d3PRptYgg[/video]

That was just awful. The poor guys probably have about a year of weekends tied up in that thing, and god knows how many cartons of beer. The paint looked fresh, hate to see what happens when they try to skid a log with that thing. Building your own skidder? Why not your own bulldozer? Or your own Zamboni? No Idea why those fancy machines cost so much, I've got some scrap iron and a MIG, plus an old tractor sitting around, surely I can knock something up in a week or two that's just as good.... Can't be that hard....

Shaun

I've never built anything like that, so can't comment much other then I think you'd be better off starting with a tractor over a truck. Everything about the tractor is already built ten times stronger.

The truck thoough you can beef up and use that in your firewooding. If it isn't to be used on the road, it can be built stout enough cheap for a good woods buggy.

Building your own skidder? Why not your own bulldozer? Or your own Zamboni? No Idea why those fancy machines cost so much, I've got some scrap iron and a MIG, plus an old tractor sitting around, surely I can knock something up in a week or two that's just as good.... Can't be that hard....

Shaun

How do you think these machines came into existence to start with?Is your user name supposed to be a combination of imagination and engineer?You need to add not in there somewhere.

Now for some real help.I would put an A frame on the back with a snatch block at the apex to run the winch cable through, and maybe some bunks and just pull logs up onto the bunks.I have a 2 speed rear end out of a F-650 I could part with, you'd have to match it with the front end ratio though.I'd think you'd need a little heavier running gear than a 3/4 ton.But use what you got until it breaks. I wish I could find the King of Junk's website up there in Canada.That dude builds some stuff.

Another idea occurs to me.Shorten the truck up, cut the frame and drive shaft and all and move the rear axle as far forward as possible, and build you a heavy duty logging arch to pull behind it.You could still put a winch on for hauling up the arch.I think an arch with a 4 wheel bogie axle set up would tote a load.That way the weight is rolling and much easier to move.I'd still come up with an A frame or jib arm on the truck to pull logs out if places to hard to get to. These other guys must work for Cat or something.:msp_biggrin:

American ingenuity

I like that guys homemade buggy. For the most part, done pretty well.

I know this is nuts... The first thing is to define the task. Colorado don't have anything really really big. and most of the stuff I need to skid my jeep could drive in there. Massive ground clearance isn't necessary. Four wheel drive is necessary.

Yea, I will get pix. Video if I can figure out how.

I started to build a loader last year ran out of time and ended up buying a really old tractor with a bucket on it. Then I had to build some forks for it. There were not a lot of options and I was warned NOT to use road grader blade as it will snap like glass... So I used it anyway. It worked. I have lifted some logs that the tractor barely could hoist :msp_scared::msp_scared:
View attachment 249319

And the trailer that I have borrowed loaded with logs:
View attachment 249320

The current problem is that I have a bunch of logs that the tractor can't get to, and if you did... the brakes will not hold it. Yesterday I did a quick afternoon alteration of my jeep to a skidder. pulley mounted on a pole hooked to roll bar. winch to raise/lower. Lifted a log and almost pulled the front wheels off the ground!!

I gotta improvise on this one, there ain't time. I have 2 months to get a LOT of wood out of there!!

However... next time I will be ready with a real skidder!

-Pat

This came off of Millerwelds website.View attachment 249326

Project Description
For 20 years I have been hauling out about 14 cords of firewood from our bush with a pickup truck. I wanted something dependable and easy to fix. I had considered a used farm tractor but the cost and buying someone else problems did not suit me With the help of a friend I designed a buggy type skidder that would do the job and could be repaired easily with parts from any automotive or hydraulic shop ( No searching endlessly through junkyards) The power plant is a 13hp gas motor/hydraulic pump that powers a hydraulic motor that drives both rear wheels through a chain and sprocket on a jack shaft. I decided on the hydraulic drive for the forward and reverse. This eliminates having to find a used transmission. Top speed is a fast walk. The high torque ratio allowed us to drag a Chevy tracker in gear and parking brake on. The electric winch allows me to lift the leading ends of the logs up so they do not dig in while being skidded out The main frame is 4" x .188" square tube and 1" ID .100" round tube for the roll cage. I am using one of the square tube frame sides for my hydraulic fluid reservoir. Tools used: Millermatic 180 auto-set MIG Everlast plasma cutter Abrasive wheel chop saw Various 4.5“ angle grinders Oxy fuel torches Various hand tools

I bet they do stuff like this in New Zealand, too.

You want to skid logs in ugly places? Borrow a couple Percherons from the farmer down the road.

The forestry forum guys posted an interesting thread a while ago.

The truck/skidder at the bottom of the page looks doable. You just need to find a gearbox/transmission with a pto and some good rubber/chains wouldn't hurt.

attachment.php

Hmm the link is censored on AS so try searching for "Doodlebugs, homemade dozers and skidders and such" on the forestry forum.

Last edited:
The forestry forum guys posted an interesting thread a while ago.

The truck/skidder at the bottom of the page looks doable. You just need to find a gearbox/transmission with a pto and some good rubber/chains wouldn't hurt.

attachment.php

Hmm the link is censored on AS so try searching for "Doodlebugs, homemade dozers and skidders and such" on the forestry forum.

I have seen pictures of that before, Looks like it works pretty good!

i dunno know if itll work or not but whos got two thumbs and down to build some crazy s*** this guy lets do it lol

oh...you have a jeep...and access to 3/4 ton running gear...and fab skills...and you're nuts...you'll be fine.

for this year, why not fab up a skidding pan/cone and be super nice to that dana 35 or 44?

How do you think these machines came into existence to start with?Is your user name supposed to be a combination of imagination and engineer?You need to add not in there somewhere.

Now for some real help.I would put an A frame on the back with a snatch block at the apex to run the winch cable through, and maybe some bunks and just pull logs up onto the bunks.I have a 2 speed rear end out of a F-650 I could part with, you'd have to match it with the front end ratio though.I'd think you'd need a little heavier running gear than a 3/4 ton.But use what you got until it breaks. I wish I could find the King of Junk's website up there in Canada.That dude builds some stuff.

You talking about the King of Obsolete, Joey Barnes?

Pat, don't be discouraged by what the nay sayer's are saying!
I could go on and on about what I would do with that 3/4 ton truck.
For starters, get rid of suspension, get rid of the full time t-case, get a gear driven t-case or two of them for that matter (there's your ultra-low range)
Next I would shorten the frame , moving the rear axle forward, depending on how much time you want to spend on it you could make it articulate.
Weld up the spiders as mentioned above.
Make an arch, install a winch, add some safety hoops over the cab and have fun.
Just keep in mind while building it that you aren't going to able to haul a hitch of redwoods but I think for your intended purpose it would work fine.
I once made a light weight skidder out of a vw, a super beetle at that!

Take the 3/4 ton truck and weld both diffs , add a set of big truck air bags and strip it of all unneeded weight and you're just about their. A "I" beam boom and cheapo Harbor Freight winch should get the log unweighted.

Do some scrounging for a set of 16.1 tractor tires and add some bumpers and a ROPS and you got yourself a log drager. With a little bad language and a good set of tire tools these tires will fit on factory 16x7 GM truck wheels ... and are damn near impossible to puncture.

Don't worry about pulling the TH400 or NP203 .. both are plenty strong and will outlast the D44 that's in the front of GM 3/4 K trucks.

Back