Homeowner Chainsaw info

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cut4fun

Faster is Better
Reaction score
I just read this book that I got for Christmas, The Backyard Lumberjack 160 pages of How to info for the beginner chainsaw buying to felling trees etc. Wish i had this info years ago.
LJBOOK.jpg

Some of the pictures showing how to fell a tree are showing grave faults. I don’t own the book but I saw it in a book store a week ago when I was visiting the U.S. (I’m from Denmark). Severel of the pictures showed the Back cut overcutting the hinge wood so there was noting holding and guiding the tree falling. Absolutely no control over the felling without holding wood!! Not a good advice to newbie’s. Following the pictures in that book is very dangerous!!!!

The two attached pictures shows how it's done

Last edited:
I just read this book that I got for Christmas, The Backyard Lumberjack 160 pages of How to info for the beginner chainsaw buying to felling trees etc. Wish i had this info years ago.
LJBOOK.jpg

I requested this book online from my local library.
Got it in less than a week.
A good read.
Thanks for posting it here, I love this kind of information.
The writing is good and somewhat funny at times.

Some of the pictures showing how to fell a tree are showing grave faults. I don’t own the book but I saw it in a book store a week ago when I was visiting the U.S. (I’m from Denmark). Severel of the pictures showed the Back cut overcutting the hinge wood so there was noting holding and guiding the tree falling. Absolutely no control over the felling without holding wood!! Not a good advice to newbie’s. Following the pictures in that book is very dangerous!!!!

The two attached pictures shows how it's done

I did notice that some of the felling technices were different than I had seen done here in my parts.

Does the fact that they recommend using the side relief cuts make their way safer?

I am a relative :newbie: So I just thought that was the way they do it in the northEAST :cheers:

Anyway, stihl a good read imo.

Last edited:
I requested this book online from my local library.
Got it in less than a week.
A good read.
Thanks for posting it here, I love this kind of information.
The writing is good and somewhat funny at times.

I did notice that some of the felling technices were different than I had seen done here in my parts.

Does the fact that they recommend using the side relief cuts make their way safer?

I am a relative :newbie: So I just thought that was the way they do it in the northEAST :cheers:

Anyway, stihl a good read imo.

The felling "techniques" (or lack thereof) are poor at best. I would find a better, safer place to learn how to fell trees from. The methods shown in there show a serious lack of knowledge of proper felling techniques and pose a serious risk to the health of the operator if he follows them and doesn't get lucky (as the authors of the book did).

The felling "techniques" (or lack thereof) are poor at best. I would find a better, safer place to learn how to fell trees from. The methods shown in there show a serious lack of knowledge of proper felling techniques and pose a serious risk to the health of the operator if he follows them and doesn't get lucky (as the authors of the book did).

There are several good links for felling technique in the "sticky" Referense Links tread - no need to buy a book.

Just to let you know, wife didnt get the book for felling, it has info on choosing the right gear, how to choose the right saw (boy could have used that info for my first saw purchase years ago) wouldnt have bought the small saw I bought, different wood types and btu's, how to read your woods and do select cutting, choosing the right bar size and chain, i am talking first time stuff like how to start a saw and where things are at for the beginner, how to hand file for beginners, what not to do with a saw while operating a saw, cleaning of saws, tips how to care for saw for 1st timers,ppe,how to use wedges,mauls etc, what manual tools you my need listed with use and pics, splitting how to's, manual splitting how to's and safe stacking, building of different wood sheds, wood burners how to,how to choose a stove, getting the most heat, how to measure firewood, getting a good fire going and make sure to get you through the cold nights, backyard bonfires, fire safety, pig roasting, then my favorite section Logger games, chopping, axe throwing, hotsaws, birling, methanol madness, crosscut, axe shopping, logger word meanings.
Out of a 160 pages only 5 were on the felling(wrong could be, I am a homeowner and I cut and run LOL, so I know mine ain't right either), so look past the 5 pages and I think the short stories and all the other info is really worth it to the newbie, I wish i had it back when.
If you just like to read about wood and what goes along with it for a cold winters day of reading, its worth it, but if you like to spend 20 hours a day on the puter, this book might not be for you.

Last edited:
Back