Honda Engine Swap

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swamp Yankee

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Anybody know if the Honda GX160 and the Honda GC160 horizontal shaft engines are a direct bolt up and out put shaft interchange for each other?

Tried Honda's website, no help. Talked a couple dealers but no one would say one way or the other.

Thanks in Advance for the help.

Take Care

I say no. The GX and GC are completely different engines. They might look similar on the outside, but the internal workings of the pushrod GX are very different from the overhead cam GC.

I know th GC 5 hp is the same height as the Briggs 5 hp. I just swaped the Briggs on my splitter for a rebuild [after 30 years] The GC matched right up with the pumpshaft. Maybe I read the ???? wrong? Were you asking about the height of the shaft or if the 2 Hondas could interchange cranks?

Last edited:
yes, bout 90% of all small engines with 3/4 in output shafts have the same 4 bolt pattern, with the exception of the one for generators(tapered shafts and gear reductions)...the gc's are a decent low cost option but are not commercial use, they are all plastic.If its a gx 5hp it will have the same pattern on the 5hp gc.i switched my old 5hp b&s for a 5hp gc. The gc doubled the fuel econ.

Thanks for the replies.

mini14, that's what I was hoping for, the engines would all be of the same bolt mounting pattern and shaft size.

I understand due to motor construction differences clearances around other parts of the machine may be different or there may be an interference at a point but at least I'm by step 1.

Thanks

Take Care

the GC are rated slightly less hp, I think 4.4 or so vs. 4.8 or 5 hp.
they say '5.0' on the side, or 5.5, but Honda's own website gives the true hp. the 5.0 and 5.5 are meaningless numbers.
Hope they work well, I have a GC160 bought used awaiting isntallation on another project.

crank dimensions and pump mount bolt patterns are the same.

agreed,they are the same pattern.

i never had a problem with either but the GX is a much more quality machine.

i love the little economical gc, yes gx is twice the motor....but i only split 4 cord a year and the pos b&s lasted 20+ years, i figure the gc will do even better, i got it for $175 no brainer throw away engine for that price...imo water cannon web site has some robin engines cheap and they look to be pretty comp. to the hondas, i have bout 10 machines with hondas on then and they start easy, sip fuel, and last forever. had 1 throw a rod on a 13hpgxv, other then that never spent a dime on repairs on any of them, just air filters and oil. I do valve adjustments on all of them every spring though. u will know when they start to tick.

Last edited:
Back