Honda HRX217K6 camshaft failure

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just the gcv200 engines you seeing this issue?
whats happening to them?

good to know, fun job splitting those blocks!
only have a few more months to worry about it as production will end in sept-lol

good to know, fun job splitting those blocks!
only have a few more months to worry about it as production will end in sept-lol
That’s correct, Honda is getting out of the lawnmower game. They really dropped the ball with this new GC engine. Went from OHC to pushrod design which makes no sense to me. Don’t know the number of affected units yet but I’d bet it’s in the thousands.

Well it seems there a stop sale on these units because of cam problem.
vender for camshaft manufactured them incorrectly cause problem
probably be a recall or fix as fail remedy

Well it seems there a stop sale on these units because of cam problem.
vender for camshaft manufactured them incorrectly cause problem
probably be a recall or fix as fail remedy
Yep. Stop sale was implemented about two weeks ago. We’ve been fixing them under warranty for some time now. Don’t have any further info beyond that.

I have the same mower as pictured. It's about 4 years old and have had zero issues. My son even uses it to mow 6-10 lawns a week besides ours.
Is just the newer ones failing?
It's a sad day when Honda has reliability issues with their small engines as for years they where bullet proof.

its not really hondas fault, the vender who made this part did not make it according to procedure honda said it should it be, as the first versions of hrx with 200cc engine seem to be fine-
every manufacture seems to have problems with plastic injection mode suppliers- they seem to never let the parts cool correctly is biggest issue from past plastic part problems from toro husky etc

I bought a HRX21K6HZA from homedepot.com in October 2022.
It is still in the unopened box, waiting for my 2-stroke lawnboy to die.
Is there any way to tell if this engine is going to have the same problem?

Your good, this only applies to the K6 manufactured in the last year or so.

Briggs eng on Brute mowers are blowing through plastic cam shafts also. why in the xyz world wood a mfg use a plastic cam shaft ( besides the obvious part cost factor) use for a season or 2 and then it becomes a $300 throw away item. not right in my book. somewhere along the line with car engs i heard/read of carbon fiber reinfoced connecting rods ( ya that not working to well either)

So, I may have been incorrect earlier when I said your mower isn’t affected. If you can give me the serial number off your unit I can look up date of manufacture.

This is a defective cam I replaced recently. From what I’ve heard the parts were ejected from the mold too soon which caused them to become distorted. This results in the decompression mechanism sticking and thus, hard starting.
IMG_0289.jpegIMG_0290.jpeg

Wow, it is actually plastic with plastic lobes! That is something I haven't seen before.
Does it say what type of plastic? POM, PEI, Peek, nylon?

The text on the sheet metal part looks like textbook China.

I work with a lot of injection molding. I am surprised the parts passed dimensional inspection if there is a binding issue with the decompression shaft.

Apparently Briggs has been doing this for a while.

Back