Hope I don't regret this

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgreanbeans

Treeaculterologist
Reaction score
So, this may not have much to do with tree work.......or maybe it does, yet to be seen. Yesterday, I rescued a 19 y/o kid that I have known since he was born. My wife's ex-best friends kid. Kid has had a horrible life. Has a mom who could care less what happens to him, as long as it doesn't cramp her style. Had to drop out of school because he couldn't take the bully's making fun of his clothes or lack there of. He was living in a garage in the worst part of town, hungry and cold. My wife couldn't take it anymore and we stepped in. He is still a 14-15 year old inside, never had anyone to teach him or guide him except for the sea lawyers that he was living in the garage with. Kid was totally abandoned, its not like he is a bad kid, hes not, not at all. He has little education, no living skills, but still has a positive out look on life! We went and got him out of there, he is here now, sleeping and well feed. Going to help him get his GED and teach him how to properly take care of himself. He wants to work, so we are going to bring him out and try to teach him the way of the Jedi. Give him skills that will be able to put food on the table. The goal is to get him re-booted, re-invented to a new, improved model. My boys pushed the issue, they have known him all their lives and he is like a long lost brother. They understand that this may mean sacrifices on their part and are good with it. Its sad, that people can abandon their kids, I cant see how this is done. It is not like he was a trouble maker and did bad things growing up, that is his brother, who still lives at home, in a warm bed. She booted him, but was still collecting welfare and food stamps for him. He went and signed up for then, which in turn cost her, as she no longer gets them for him, she, instead of worrying about her kid, told him to get lost, because he screwed her over! See, those extra food stamps, waz fedin her man, chyea boooooooi. Can ya believe that crap. So we have agreed to take him in as our own, no need for food stamps any more. Time to give the boy a chance. Going to teach him about Arboriculture, maybe it will save him and give him the ability to take care of himself. It was sad and funny last night. He was so happy, so relieved.

Good for you, may you apply the wisdom and patience of Yoda on your new boy/man.

Good luck to you as you'll need it in bags of plenty. many of these interventions can fail, but when yer canna stand back and leave, you must try. I wish you the best

give him a hard hat with his name on it, make him proud to wear it.

Good luck to you as you'll need it in bags of plenty. many of these interventions can fail, but when yer canna stand back and leave, you must try. I wish you the best

give him a hard hat with his name on it, make him proud to wear it.

Yeah, I hope it works. Good idea with the hard hat, thanks.

Good for you Beans.
I took off when I was 16 because I was tired of my fathers drinking and my mother's#####ing about it [chicken or egg problem my whole chidhood] got to the point where it wasn't my problem to solve anymore.
Lived with my aunt and uncle for a year or so ,but my uncle gave me guidance LONG after I went on my own.He stood by my side thru MANY screw ups.Not that he condoned my shortcomings,but that he loved me in spite of them.Eventually I learned right from wrong thru his examples.
All thru my 20s and 30s he and I worked and raced together,much to the envy of his own sons and my father.It was during this time that my own dad quit drinking and started walking the line and he and I patched up some old wounds.Life has a funny way of working things out sometimes.

Stick with him . He may have developed some bad habits that may rear their head from time to time from his upbringing but good influence will win over bad in the end if you stick with him.It did for me.

Would Some Please Explain

Have attempted to rep "Beans" but received this message: "This post has not received any reputation. You currently have 31618169 reputation point(s)." What does this mean? Why am I prevented from giving "Beans" a rep? Thank you, Islero :msp_smile:

So, this may not have much to do with tree work.......or maybe it does, yet to be seen. Yesterday, I rescued a 19 y/o kid that I have known since he was born. My wife's ex-best friends kid. Kid has had a horrible life. Has a mom who could care less what happens to him, as long as it doesn't cramp her style. Had to drop out of school because he couldn't take the bully's making fun of his clothes or lack there of. He was living in a garage in the worst part of town, hungry and cold. My wife couldn't take it anymore and we stepped in. He is still a 14-15 year old inside, never had anyone to teach him or guide him except for the sea lawyers that he was living in the garage with. Kid was totally abandoned, its not like he is a bad kid, hes not, not at all. He has little education, no living skills, but still has a positive out look on life! We went and got him out of there, he is here now, sleeping and well feed. Going to help him get his GED and teach him how to properly take care of himself. He wants to work, so we are going to bring him out and try to teach him the way of the Jedi. Give him skills that will be able to put food on the table. The goal is to get him re-booted, re-invented to a new, improved model. My boys pushed the issue, they have known him all their lives and he is like a long lost brother. They understand that this may mean sacrifices on their part and are good with it. Its sad, that people can abandon their kids, I cant see how this is done. It is not like he was a trouble maker and did bad things growing up, that is his brother, who still lives at home, in a warm bed. She booted him, but was still collecting welfare and food stamps for him. He went and signed up for then, which in turn cost her, as she no longer gets them for him, she, instead of worrying about her kid, told him to get lost, because he screwed her over! See, those extra food stamps, waz fedin her man, chyea boooooooi. Can ya believe that crap. So we have agreed to take him in as our own, no need for food stamps any more. Time to give the boy a chance. Going to teach him about Arboriculture, maybe it will save him and give him the ability to take care of himself. It was sad and funny last night. He was so happy, so relieved.
Good for you this is a very big thing your doing for this kid just dont give up on him when he #####up cause he will from time to time ! People should take a page from your book much respect!!!!!!!

Have attempted to rep "Beans" but received this message: "This post has not received any reputation. You currently have 31618169 reputation point(s)." What does this mean? Why am I prevented from giving "Beans" a rep? Thank you, Islero :msp_smile:

Rep worked for me .

Good on you Scott. Good to know there are still good people out there like you and your wife.

My folks adopted one of my cousins when we were kids. We were raised together like brothers. He is an Army vet and has a great job with the railroad were he has worked for 20 years. Has a great family. He is still probaly the closest person to me in this world.

For one thing, you don't have enough posts under your belt to give a Rep of value. You must make 50 posts before attempting to send a Rep. Generally, a neutral (Gray) Rep does not deduct from the recipients total reputation points, but sometimes counts as a (-1) negative point.
As far as the 'Message'; you may accidentally tried to Rep yourself, and it gave you info accordingly. :confused:

Sgreanbeans: That's a mighty brave thing you've done. I hope the lad is gratefull to you for it. He may be the best son you could ever ask for.

Good on you man. My buddy did the same thing with one of his kids friends. Kinda the same situation. Think the kid was 17 not sure. Guess it's been working out real well for them. The kid is learning some good life skills, he's been helping around the house and even got a job and is helping out with bills and such.

Nice to see your helping the kid out. This world needs more people like yourself. Rep sent.

Doing this shows you are a man among men, but what is best is that you brought your kids up well enough to see it and suggest it. I think it is a very noble gesture. Best of luck to you with the whole process. Awesome!

leading a horse to water

My youngest son's friend was in a similar situation, father no good, mother doesn't care, a young man adrift with no education or moral direction. My oldest son, who will be taking over the business, gave him a job. taught him how to be an awesome ground guy, prepared him to get his drivers license, my wife made him a lunch everyday, my youngest son (our mechanic) fixed his scooter so he can get to work, etc. After two years of bending over backwards he's a no show. The straw that broke the camels back was that he did not show up on a day that we really needed him because his grand father was being let out of prison and he had to be there.??? It is a sad situation, we gave him more than a chance to learn a trade and establish a direction in life.
God bless you for your efforts with this young man, it is easier to build a man than fix a broken one. Please stay in touch and let us know how things work out. you are doing Gods work. Jim

For one thing, you don't have enough posts under your belt to give a Rep of value. You must make 50 posts before attempting to send a Rep. Generally, a neutral (Gray) Rep does not deduct from the recipients total reputation points, but sometimes counts as a (-1) negative point.
As far as the 'Message'; you may accidentally tried to Rep yourself, and it gave you info accordingly. :confused:

Sgreanbeans: That's a mighty brave thing you've done. I hope the lad is gratefull to you for it. He may be the best son you could ever ask for.

Sagetown, thanks for the explanation. Islero :msp_smile:

Latest posts

Back