Hope I don't regret this

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A very kind act indeed. I hope it all works out. I hope you keep in mind that it may not. It sounds like the kid has been through an awful lot and he may have a hard time with so much generosity. I dont mean to sound like a dik but I know of a case that sounds similiar. After a few weeks the family that took a young man in woke up and he was gone, along with some valuables from the home. I have no reason to think that your situation will turn out bad and I sure hope it doesn't. But keep in mind that you are doing the right thing and if it doesnt work out, well, you did your best. I just know that sometimes the people being helped react in strange ways.

Beans, lot of good replies and advice, and things to cautious of. Good for you and good luck with the young man you will never regret trying to help this young man. Great deed on your part my utmost respect and regards..

Good for you and your family.

Offer to teach him our trade, if he doesn't take to it, don't take it personally. It's not for everyone.

If he does, all the better. Each child, given chances and opportunities will find their way.

Sounds like he may finally be on his path.

I have been blessed in many ways and there were people that helped me and made me who I am and am thankful for it. It is people like you who make a difference and I hope everything goes well.

wow, thanks guys! So far so good, but still too soon to tell. We had a easy peasy one yesterday and we brought him out. Did great. Kid could handle nasty brush pretty good, which we all know is a skill in of itself. He didn't have much clothes and we were getting ready for a garage sale. My kids GOTTA have name brand, so we had piles of Hollister, Aero and Ab and Fitch. Tons of jeans and shorts. He was in shock when we told him that he could have anything he wanted out of it. I gave him a company shirt and some combat boots, digi style. He shaved his head, had a mow hawk type of thing. Kid looked totally different and you could tell he felt good. He eats like a rabbit, which I guess he is used to. Keep telling him "EAT BOY, EAT!" His name is Austin by the way. I have the fear of god in him, always have. So I hope I don't have any problems as stated above, I don't think I will, but only time will tell. He told us that he had stolen from friends, but I believe it was a sit where he needed to eat and was too ashamed to say it. Take that need away, I think he will be fine. He liked working, ran him all day. Paid him and my middle boy took him to the store. Instead of buying junk, he wanted new underwear and socks. I wish he would have told us, I would have bought him that, but thought good on him for not blowing the money and using it to help better himself, even if it is just underwear, which made me realize what I take for granted............clean underwear. Drinks soda like a fish, gotta fix that, bad for his health (yes I am a hypocrite there!) I will say this, although I thank u guys for all the "ada boys" I throw this to my sons, they have really impressed me with their concern and patience. But most of all, their compassion. Austin would still be on the street if it where not for them. So the plan is to teach him the way of the Jedi, he wants to run a saw real bad,"in due time padawan, in due time!" He was beat up alot, ALOT. Kid has been jumped by his own thug brother and friends, that we can fix in the pit. I have my own in the basement where Brock, my youngest trains, being top kid at Miletich, Austin is in good hands, soon, no one will hurt him again. Already have a Gi.
I also had a crap childhood, mom is a drunk...........bad drunk, dad ran off and then died. I was heading down the wrong road and was in the same sit that he was in, living in a flop house with a bunch of "lost" kids. The Marines saved me. Kinda looking at the same thing for Austin. Army or Navy, get him out of here and give him purpose.

All to often we see situations like that and say how sad it is, then move on, It takes a hero to step up and be the solution. Everyone deserves a chance in life.
I was a wild rebellious teenager with lots of issues, but some one put their faith and time in me, mentored me and got me involved in this business, probably saved my and others lifes.
Know there will be disappointments as well as victory, be understanding as well as patient. My hats off to you.

good on ya bean. got a good wife and kids to even consider doing that. being a gyrene i know you've faced and conquered trials. your training will keep you in good shape. proud of ya bro. semper fi.

My Uncle and Aunt (here in SA) took me in when I got expelled from 8th grade in east texas, I will always be indebted to them, gave me a job sweeping parking lot, and later working for his western store and Rodeo Times news paper, he let me learn the sense of acomplishment of earning my own things at a early age, own clothes,boots,hat, this taught me how to care for and buy quality things,if some one had givin me eveything I would have been deprived learning the true value of every thing. Even little things easily taken for granted.
I like the labled hard hat Idea, just a plain one but with a little personal touch, teach him the value of buying quality built things from socks and underwear to climbing helmets, and don't deprive him of the opertunity to earn his own way. The sense of achievement when I purcased my first bike, motorcycle , truck etc was priceless. I think it good that he reliezes he is 19,and should be buying his own socks and underwear, I was taught to pay my own way at a early age, and when I took it for granted found out the hardway and have been paying my own rent too, since I was 18.
As you build him up with Love, the gift you can't keep, he will surely have to pass it on. My Nephew just graduated Navy boot camp last friday and turned 19 on last thursday ,now is off to nuclear school, we are very proud of him and all the young men that serve our country,
God bless You, Your Family, and Austin.
Paul

You are doing a great thing sgreanbeans. It's nice to see someone that can care for other people when they need it most. No telling where the kid would end up without you helping him. I believe you and your family will be blessed for this many times over.

nice work beans. It was good that he bought the things he did with money he earned. The small lesson he learned in that one short day of work and trip to the store will be huge in redirecting his life. It may have been the first time he actually saw that hey I put in a good days work and I can go to the store and buy what ever the hell I want. Keep him going with the work thing but I would say keep letting him pay his own way here and there and give him more and more responsibilities. Sounds like he needs to be shown a little love, but not coddled. Seems like you are on the right track, good luck tell him that we on AS are all going to keep track and he better not let us down.

View attachment 236604

Austin

@ SOM-Right on!
@ AJ, we got room!But you have to do your own laundry, wife is already overloaded.

Yesterday, we were out pruning, had t run and check the radar. Jon was getting ready to rope a small branch down. so I was going to hold off until we got it down (over a house) Nothing big, but big enough. Jon says "go ahead, I'll teach him how to handle it." I keep my ear on him and he proceeds to break it down to Austin, what he needs to do and when. Big roll and let it run. He nailed it. Jon gave him a "ada boy" and the kid gleamed with pride. Reminded me of when Forrest finally introduce Jenny to Lt Dan. I am being really strict with him. He is not going to run the streets. Making him read Outsiders, prepping him for the GED. Told him that I am not being A hole for fun. He said "your just being the dad that I know", f'ing killed me. He called me dad last night too, skittishly. Kinda set me back a bit, kinda weird, but I am cool with it. I think he wants, so bad, to call us mom and dad. Simple things like that he has missed out on and that's all he wants, to know what it feels like to have someone that is concerned about him.

Someone from here called me, could not make out the message, think it was one of you fellow Iowegins, who was it?

Last edited:
Att'a boy good job.. With out puttin pressure on the lad, you let him know there's a whole heap of blokes all hoping he does good. Many of us had rough or hard upbringings. I suspect the tree work trade has its fair share of life's battlers. Tis nice to see a young man gettin a break against the odds.

Awesome Austin.

My Brother's name is Austin, btw, and that's what they used to call him when we were racing bmx. We call him Aus for short, so dad put AU$$UM across the rear on his racing pants to kinda reflect the awesome amount of money we spent on the sport as well.

Anyway, what you are doing is Awesome. And no matter what, I don't think you will regret it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, brother. You're investing in another young man's life, and that is the deep stuff that's not for the timid. Rare form in these days where we need it the most.

Godspeed.

I am sort of doing the same thing. My ex-wife's brother always admired me, my morals, and my personal drive. His parents never really educated him much, and he fell into the wrong crowd on multiple occasions. Wound up getting hooked on cocaine, and ran out of money. So, another buddy of his convinced him to join in some shenanigans and they all got caught stealing vases from grave sites (and selling them). Went to prison for grave robbing.

Anyway, he just got out, and is going through rehab now. Once that's done, he's moving in with me and I will hopefully get him back on to the right track. He has no professional skill, very little in the way of living skills, and has never had any motivation to succeed since he has always had other people to move back in with. Once he moves in with me, he will be in a new place, around completely new people, starting a new life. I'm hoping it all goes well. I've made a fairly respectable life for myself, and have been successful so far (27 years old, bought a house, married with a son, all bills paid, have my own reputable tree service, doing the Navy thing, and have the means to work through almost any problem). I'm just hoping that he turns his life around and learns something from me that will hopefully get him back on his feet and off on his own. Just gotta keep him away from the damned drugs and teach the boy an honest trade.

~Will Courtier~

Latest posts

Back