Hope I have a big enough saw....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is, we do a lot of that too. a shot of blacklining for a 2400 acre Rx.

You work in wildfire too? I wonder how many of us on AS do... I know Mile9socounty, Jacob J, Tree Sling'r, and myself do. I know RandyMac, SlowP, and a few others have in the past. I wonder if this question is thread-worthy?

You work in wildfire too? I wonder how many of us on AS do... I know Mile9socounty, Jacob J, Tree Sling'r, and myself do. I know RandyMac, SlowP, and a few others have in the past. I wonder if this question is thread-worthy?

Go for it. :clap:

Somebody pm me their address and I'll send you my s25da to cut the notch.

and don't throw it ....

What is a hackberry? Don't have them around here. Good firewood/lumber?

If good lumber, how is rot resistance ?

Thanks in advance!!!

It makes good firewood and I have heard it makes decent lumber...I am guessing these trees will be all firewood though....:cheers:

I agree with Mark 100%. There's no way I would tackle that limbing job with a 32" bar. My 361 with a 20 is the ticket for me there. I've cut oaks that have came to rest on the mess of limbs and lifted the trunk 10-15ft off the ground. it's usually a sticky, scary mess.

I'm amazed no one has mentioned the bunch of trunks grown together on the closet tree in the pic. Better make sure they are connected good at the bottom before you cut that one or it can split as your cutting. When they do that, they go every which way. A saw or a man can be totaled that way. Even when they look like they're grown together good, sometimes they will still come apart as you're cutting through it. You may end up in a bucket truck cutting them separatly up where they are apart.
Just be careful with that one. The other one looks simple enough from the pic.

Ole Earl would eat good if I were there. May have to invest in a 36' bar though.:)

I agree with Mark 100%. There's no way I would tackle that limbing job with a 32" bar. My 361 with a 20 is the ticket for me there. I've cut oaks that have came to rest on the mess of limbs and lifted the trunk 10-15ft off the ground. it's usually a sticky, scary mess.

I'm amazed no one has mentioned the bunch of trunks grown together on the closet tree in the pic. Better make sure they are connected good at the bottom before you cut that one or it can split as your cutting. When they do that, they go every which way. A saw or a man can be totaled that way. Even when they look like they're grown together good, sometimes they will still come apart as you're cutting through it. You may end up in a bucket truck cutting them separatly up where they are apart.
Just be careful with that one. The other one looks simple enough from the pic.

Ole Earl would eat good if I were there. May have to invest in a 36' bar though.:)

I agree on the there being multiple trunks, but I have enough straps, chains and plan to remove as much top weight on the south side as possible...I would guess being a hackbeery it would hold together, but would still like to see some on the top weight gone...

I agree on the there being multiple trunks, but I have enough straps, chains and plan to remove as much top weight on the south side as possible...I would guess being a hackbeery it would hold together, but would still like to see some on the top weight gone...

Good deal. They can get tricky quick. I've been on the bad side of a few. Never cut Hackberry, but cherry seems to be the worse I've cut that split apart like that. I to would take some of the weight out of the top.

Looks like a job for a D8. Push them over towards each other and light them up with 10 gallons of diesel fuel. :D

Hackberry trees have some of the most massive root systems I have ever seen. A D8 may be in order for those stumps. They are also a communal tree and often have many saplings sprouting from one gigantic root ball.

Get a few gallons of Round-Up and kill the root system, wait a year and then let loose a dozer or excavator. When they are still live there is almost no end to the roots in all directions. JJuday

What is a hackberry? Don't have them around here. Good firewood/lumber?

If good lumber, how is rot resistance ?

Thanks in advance!!!

Hackberry is used around here mostly as pallet wood and fire wood. My neighbor milled some up and I think it's as nice as any other. It take stain well and works easily. It dosen't have the beautiful grain of Tiger Maple or White Oak, but looks good none the less.

That's the biggest Hackberry I have seen, around here they are nothing more than a weed tree, not used for anything, and they get pithy real quick. But they have to be the messiest tree I have ever had to limb.
Be sure and get a vid of the drop.

Why is this post so wide? Hmmm, now it's not.

Last edited:
Hey ya'll just go ahead and say it, you'll will fell better if you do just say I'm scared we won't laugh I promise :):greenchainsaw::).

Outdoor if you need some help me and LP can ride up. Me and my 029 super will eat that biggun for breakfast. Lp can play with that little one with his 394xp. He has to out power me to get anything done. Oh well just yanking your chain. It does look like a fun day in the field, one good thing you ain't got to wade around in head high briars to get at um.
Have fun.

Looks like this mini GTG is not going to happen....Went by on the way home from deer camp only to see a fire in the field and not much left but coals and stumps...:(

Not sure who, but I'll catch up w/ Ernie and find out the rest of the story...

Back