Horizontal or vertical for you guys with splitters?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you use your splitter horizontally or vertically?

• Horizontally (flat)

Votes: 65 72.2%
  • Vertically (up and down)

Votes: 25 27.8%

• Total voters
Horizontal, do not enjoy vertical at all.

Everything is split horizontally. Even the big stuff gets split horizontally after it gets quartered up.

Sure, you could split this vertically...once. Then you'd have to to try to rotate it. How's that going to work, eh? Faster to break it down into chunks, IMHO.
Rounds.jpg

800 lbs...You know the rule, pic's or it didn't happen...

Well, here's my wood pile.

How do I figure 800 #? Easy. Here's a common size for me to find in my pile:

36" diameter oak, 2 1/2 feet long (thick?).

http://www.woodweb.com/cgi-bin/calculators/calc.pl

That calculator puts it closer to 1200#. I think that's wet weight, so call it maybe 750-800 when I get it.

That's not ALL the wood I get, but it's not uncommon. I usually have one of those every load or two. 30-40", and usually about 2 1/2 to 3 feet long. You do the math.

How did you move it at all???

Loaded onto my truck with a grapple (yeah, I cheat! :D see the link above for a pic), rolled off at home, and moved with my 1000# hand truck. No problem.

My boys and I have done rounds that size many times. I really need to get a new tailgate, and reinforce it, because my current one is bent from too many of those rounds. I always put a block under it now, but the damage is done. :(

I've done bigger by hand, but I quartered those with the saw first. They were very dry too, so I don't know the weight. We loaded them on my Nissan by hand, too.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=74150

THe big ones I do vertically, the smaller ones horizontal. If I can't lift it, it splits vertical. If I can roll it to the splitter, I can rotate it after the first split. I almost always take the splitter with me when cutting wood. I like to pull the splitter along the tree and split and toss into the truck all at once. Makes me feel like I am handling the wood less.

Yep, that is a big one on your Bobcat. Be careful though, those forks could scuff the bark . hah

I imagine one that size would put a bend in my pickup bed for sure.

Nosmo

another vote for vertical

take a seat on a stump, have someone roll chunks to you and you can split a lot of wood without the back pain of standing and bending to pick up every piece horizontaly.

There is a reason almost every splitter sold will split vertically.

And noodling all the big pieces is hard on saw chains and a waste of time.

$.02

I do both.

Most of my splitting is done right at the woodshed. When the wood is small enough to load/unload by hand into my trailer I just pick the wood up from the trailer and drop it onto the splitter and then carry it into the wood shed without ever having to bend over.

When the rounds are too big to lift they get rolled over (or dumped by the tractor loader bucket) into a pile just outside the woodshed. When I get enough of them in the pile to spend an hour or so spliting I use the splitter vertically.

I use mine vertically 100% of the time.

I do some big rounds, but even when spliting smaller its a lot easier to set up camp on your knee's on something soft and justs stay down there.

But it sure helps having someone feed logs to and away from you

i use mine vertically 100% of the time.

I do some big rounds, but even when spliting smaller its a lot easier to set up camp on your knee's on something soft and justs stay down there.

+1

Although my homeowner Brave 34 ton will go vertical, I've never had a thought of switching it over.

Horizontal for me!!

Respects,

Richard

I use mine vertically 100% of the time.

Right there is another reason I won't go verticle. It turns a one man job into a two man one. Either that or it involves alot of getting up/down to clear away and bring fresh fodder.

Harry K

Horizontal and only Horizontal. I would never buy a vertical splitter.

My old American 'I' beam is maybe 8" off the ground and I've rolled rounds so big on to that with a ramp of splitter trash that I had to use my foot to operate the splitter lever...no way I could manhandle a round like that for a vert split...why hell you have no roll factor.:chainsaw:

Also there's more handling involved with vert.

The natural order of 'things' make it so more cut or dumped rounds are presented to you in a horizontal lay. If you were to split vert you already set yourself for one extra handling...

...and it's the extra handling of wood that is the curse of all wood burners all over the world.

I've spent over 30 years developing a course of action that would put the wooden stake right into the heart of that extra handling and I did it with our split and pile---DONE! procedure.

Horizontal...just like I'll be when I die. :greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back