Horizontal vs. Vertical Log Splitter Use?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've tried using a vertical splitter... no-thank-you very much (my splitter doesn't go vertical).
Not only is it slow and painful work, the vertical convertibility adds a bunch of (unnecessary) weight and bulk, requires longer hoses, forces the wedge to be mounted back-azz-wards (i.e. on the ram), and the required wheel placement makes the tongue too darn heavy to easily move the splitter by hand... Oh... don't forget the extra dollars that ridiculous option costs you.

Try and remember this is only my opinion, I'm not trying to start fights... As far as I'm concerned the horizontal/vertical splitters are nothing but a joke and sales gimmick, I wouldn't have one.

I only have a horizontal splitter and don't see the need for a vertical. Ones I struggle to pick up I just use a 2x6 and roll them in place to be split. I do about 60-80 cords a year.

Last edited:
It's kind of funny, I used to be on another site and most of those guys had a raging hard on for splitting vertical.

I guess you can be as slow as you want when your retired and have all summer to cut and split 4-5 cords of wood? I usually do 10-20 cords a week.

This saw belongs to me now. I fail to see how trying to muscle around a 200 lb round to split it vertical is easier or faster than this. And as far as wear and tear on the saw, does it sound like its working hard? I bought my saws to use.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VZRsFoQwU0E#

I'm shocked at how many of you prefer horizontal. Mine is set vertically all of the time, get a log to sit on, get comfy and go to town with my 10 cords per year. I cut up wood by the grapple load and the splitter is set up to one side of the load, so I don't have move anything to great a distance. If it's too heavy then I grab either the Kubota or a hand truck with nice big pneumatic tires, no problem. I haven't been at this nearly as long as some of you and I'm still learning. I think I've got a pretty good system going, but maybe I'm missing something.

splitting posotion

I have a combo splitter but find if i shift some of the rounds out of the way on the trailer I push the splitter over the end of the trailer as far as it will go and split on the trailer, standing on the ground ,no lifting as such, just roll the rounds to the edge of the beam turn them and lift one end into the splitter

I'm shocked at how many of you prefer horizontal. Mine is set vertically all of the time, get a log to sit on, get comfy and go to town with my 10 cords per year. I cut up wood by the grapple load and the splitter is set up to one side of the load, so I don't have move anything to great a distance. If it's too heavy then I grab either the Kubota or a hand truck with nice big pneumatic tires, no problem. I haven't been at this nearly as long as some of you and I'm still learning. I think I've got a pretty good system going, but maybe I'm missing something.

There is a guy I have seen on my way home from work that splits vertical sitting on a round, and a six pack along side. Maybe there is something to this?:msp_confused:

Only 10 cords a year? I sold over 100 cords last year and have tripled that this year.
I found it easier to noodle them down where I can pick them up.
Trying to get a large round in by hand is way to much work.
But I guess if your only doing 10 cords a year, it would not be a big issue.
I am working on getting a small crane to put on my splitter to pick up a bigger round.

If I use the splitter, its on the nastier stuff. I use it in the vert position. If it where a foot higher, I would go horizontal. At the stock height its a back KILLER for me. And I don't like how some of the rounds can fall on the engine.

I've used the phrase "to each his own" for more years than I can remember...

I used mine horizontal the day I bought it (used/home made) and that was before I purchased it, just to be sure everything worked. Since then, I've used it vertical for every single stroke. I choose a round that's sized and shaped to fit the moment as my seat and position the rounds nearby enough to grab. I have to stand up and bring other rounds in closer every few minutes and that helps keep me from stiffening up from sitting too long. The greatest benefit to me is eliminating the bending and lifting of splitting horizontal or standing too long.

I fail to see how splitting v is so much slower as so many of you are claiming. My cylinder will only cycle so fast and that's what controls my speed, not whether I'm standing or sitting or reaching or lifting. In fact, I believe that I can turn and slide a round into place quicker than I can go get another one and lift it. Same with turning and bending over to pick up the split pieces to re-split, vs. simply rotating the parts sitting right there where I'm working.

I've split with my father in law and his splitter and we split almost exclusively h, as that was what he was used to and thus preferred. He'd flip it up every now and then for some larger rounds, but I think it was just to show off the option as he was rather proud of that feature when he first bought it. Honestly, I haven't thought about it before this thread and I'm ok with either, thus it seems I must have a preference for sitting...

I've one of each.Take the combo every time.Has to be a monster for me to noodle.

Well I will weigh in on the vertical side. First off I am not splitting for production but for home use. (About 8 to 10 cord a year) I would guess that I do 90% vertical. I am not a spring chicken but have no problem working from my knees and can do this for quite some time. I do some really good size chunks and don't have a big problem rolling them over to the splitter, lining them up to tip it over so it lands right where I need it on the splitter. halve it first and push one piece to the side, then just start turning and chipping away at the first piece. I my minds eye I would like to think that if a three foot diameter log was line up to drop for me and a person with a saw was standing over the same size piece, that I could easily have this split before the person that is noodling, halves and then quarters it, then still has to pick it up off the ground and finish splitting it. As has been stated before to each his own but put me down happily in the vertical camp.

There is a guy I have seen on my way home from work that splits vertical sitting on a round, and a six pack along side. Maybe there is something to this?:msp_confused:
Now yer talkin my language!:cheers: For a second there I thought that you were going to ask if that was me that you were seeing splitting wood with a six pack, but noticed that you're in Michigan, so probably not. I've never consumed a six pack while splitting, but I've had a couple. Sitting down on a round in front of the splitter works for me, just neve saw the need to pick up a piece of wood, split, pick them up again and resplit.

I've used the phrase "to each his own" for more years than I can remember...

I used mine horizontal the day I bought it (used/home made) and that was before I purchased it, just to be sure everything worked. Since then, I've used it vertical for every single stroke. I choose a round that's sized and shaped to fit the moment as my seat and position the rounds nearby enough to grab. I have to stand up and bring other rounds in closer every few minutes and that helps keep me from stiffening up from sitting too long. The greatest benefit to me is eliminating the bending and lifting of splitting horizontal or standing too long.

I fail to see how splitting v is so much slower as so many of you are claiming. My cylinder will only cycle so fast and that's what controls my speed, not whether I'm standing or sitting or reaching or lifting. In fact, I believe that I can turn and slide a round into place quicker than I can go get another one and lift it. Same with turning and bending over to pick up the split pieces to re-split, vs. simply rotating the parts sitting right there where I'm working.

I've split with my father in law and his splitter and we split almost exclusively h, as that was what he was used to and thus preferred. He'd flip it up every now and then for some larger rounds, but I think it was just to show off the option as he was rather proud of that feature when he first bought it. Honestly, I haven't thought about it before this thread and I'm ok with either, thus it seems I must have a preference for sitting...
Seems like I have taken pages out of your book as this is almost exactly how I do it and how I think about the situation.:cool2:

Only 10 cords a year? I sold over 100 cords last year and have tripled that this year.
I found it easier to noodle them down where I can pick them up.
Trying to get a large round in by hand is way to much work.
But I guess if your only doing 10 cords a year, it would not be a big issue.
I am working on getting a small crane to put on my splitter to pick up a bigger round.
Ummmm, that's enough for me. Just a homeowner that's heating with wood, and I hardly have enough time to get that split. If I could buy just enough logs to get me six cords a year then I would do that to save the time.

I don't have a lot of time using a vertical splitter, but I didn't really like it. My splitter doesn't go vertical. Before I added valves to slow it down, my log lift could catapult a 5 or 600 lb log across the beam. It doesn't struggle to pick up whatever you put on it. Howeverrrr......, what are you gonna do after you split a 600 lb round?:msp_ohmy: about all you can do with a 300 lb half is lay there under it till 2 of your friends come and get it off of you. When they get over 400 lbs I noodle.

Back