Horse Loggin

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freyboy23

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Well its about that time of year again to start using the horses. :rock: My dad is driving the horses and Chad "catman963" and I are doing all the cutting and work on the ground::chainsawguy:. We just did this for the local news paper the other week. I thought some of you guys would be interested to watch it. I know it not that long but is will give you a little better understanding of what we are trying to do here in Chester County Pa. So here is the link, you watch the movie and read what they wrote about us! For more pic you guys can visit my dads website and click on Logging Gallery . So here are the links!!

This is the movie and what they wrote.
http://www.pottstownmercury.com/articles/2009/11/22/life/srv0000006807476.txt

My Dad website.
http://www.classiclinesww-hl.com/

Your cart looks similar to ours but instead of a tractor seat there is a bench seat. Also I think ours might handle a larger diameter log but it is hard to tell from the video. We use a small black Percheron and a Belgian but the Perch is getting old and tires out quickly. One job we did was about a mile from where we were camped. At the end of the day the horses would jog back. If they broke into a trot you best hang on for dear life because even with the brakes locked the cart would still skip and bounce along. It takes a strong hand on the reins to keep them under control.

Do you do much ground driving? I hated that because it was so dern dangerous. I don't move that quickly to avoid having the log, or more likely clumps of brush, run over me.

Nice! great to see some Pennsylvania boys workin the woods with a light impact. This state was logged so hard in the beginning of this century with no regards to the land it is wonderful that we have people out there making sure that things are preserved for the years to come. Ive seen pics of the Western parts of the state near where I live and the devastation was unbelievable, ive been on a few mechanized logging sites recently and the impact is so much less than it used to be but you guys are doing it the right way.

Well its about that time of year again to start using the horses. :rock: My dad is driving the horses and Chad "catman963" and I are doing all the cutting and work on the ground::chainsawguy:. We just did this for the local news paper the other week. I thought some of you guys would be interested to watch it. I know it not that long but is will give you a little better understanding of what we are trying to do here in Chester County Pa. So here is the link, you watch the movie and read what they wrote about us! For more pic you guys can visit my dads website and click on Logging Gallery . So here are the links!!

This is the movie and what they wrote.
http://www.pottstownmercury.com/articles/2009/11/22/life/srv0000006807476.txt

My Dad website.
http://www.classiclinesww-hl.com/

Your cart looks similar to ours but instead of a tractor seat there is a bench seat. Also I think ours might handle a larger diameter log but it is hard to tell from the video. We use a small black Percheron and a Belgian but the Perch is getting old and tires out quickly. One job we did was about a mile from where we were camped. At the end of the day the horses would jog back. If they broke into a trot you best hang on for dear life because even with the brakes locked the cart would still skip and bounce along. It takes a strong hand on the reins to keep them under control.

Do you do much ground driving? I hated that because it was so dern dangerous. I don't move that quickly to avoid having the log, or more likely clumps of brush, run over me.

Nice man!! :clap: Wish the vid didn't have to be so short - but she did a good job with the editing!! Looks good!

Is she still gonna send your dad a longer version of the video? Maybe we can post the whole thing, when it shows up.....

+1 Gotcha! :cheers:

What fun!

Ya he does ground driving when we first hucks to a log if it is not a straight pull. Then after the first pull he will back up and hucks the chain shorter and get up on the cart and off he goes.

Do you do much ground driving? I hated that because it was so dern dangerous. I don't move that quickly to avoid having the log, or more likely clumps of brush, run over me.[/QUOTE]

I threatened to harness up my moms miniature horses and Shetland ponies, and go use them to pull logs. They're show horses and that idea didn't fly.

If you are driving the Cart DUKE is the Lead horse on Your left And PAT is on the right.

PAT is 12 and weights in at 1800lbs and Duke is 9 and Weights in at 1800 also.

Wow ! that looked fantastic. SWMBO being a horse nut just loved seeing the horse photos on the website - she wants to know their names and how old they are !

Great Job !!!1

All I can say Is Thumbs Up Ryan....best stuff on this site in awhile.

Would love to see some more.

Where abouts in the state are you guys. I gotta head up to Bedford in a week or 2. Steve

Very impressive,
I have heard of Horse and oxen logging but
never seen it done. i like the no damage to
the land. Thats what scares me about having
my 92 acre lot in Maine cut.
Thanks for sharing.

Lee

Horse Logging on TV

If you have satelite or cable tv, look for RFDTV channel. My neighbor has a 13 episode show on there. I'm not sure what times or days it is on.

The show is all about horse logging here in southern Minnesota. He usually puts on a good show. He has done a few for PBS.

always great watching horses working in the woods.

Well we could do it low impact so if you ever want it done you know who to talk to!

QUOTE=leeha;1843918]Very impressive,
I have heard of Horse and oxen logging but
never seen it done. i like the no damage to
the land. Thats what scares me about having
my 92 acre lot in Maine cut.
Thanks for sharing.

Lee[/QUOTE]

We are outa ELVERSON PA and thats is Chester County close to 25 min East of Lancaster.

All I can say Is Thumbs Up Ryan....best stuff on this site in awhile.

Would love to see some more.

Where abouts in the state are you guys. I gotta head up to Bedford in a week or 2. Steve

That's impressive, thanks for posting!

Our 2 horses might weigh as much as one of yours.. wow those are big horses..:clap:

Latest posts

Back