Hotsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, check this out, I set another world record today. Four pieces of firewood in 40 seconds flat with a PP357 in 12" Rock Maple! Cutting against the grain in this way takes 30% more hp than crosscutting. Check out the boat load of curly fries pukeing out of the sidecover!
John

Somehow I missed this thread the first time through... Here is my humble opinion...
Marcel was magic incorporated.
Chauncey Varney was an unreal technician who bordered on magic and sometimes exceeded it. Too bad he burned out so quick.
Cliff Helsel is a great guy, a great saw operater, a great filer and boy does he ever build a fast saw. (his boys are great operators as well)
Ed is also a great guy, operator, builder etc... and his saws are pretty darn fast too!
Dave really knows what he's talking about too... he's been there and done that for a lot of years.
There is a whole group out west that know what they're doing too (Dennis, Dennis, Tommy, etc, etc....)
There are some guys in the south that can make a saw go pretty darn good too!!! (Joe, Wayne, benny)
I'm sure there are many more all over the US and canada...

Who is the best, fastest, whatever? Too many factors to say with any assurance. Its silly to talk about who won a given show as proof of either a saw builder or a racers expertise. Saw mods, chain, wood, fuel, weather (in relation to its affects on fuel burn) operator, acts of God, flukes, knots.... My old homelite was never the fastest saw out there, but I still won plenty of money with it! On any given day....

I know Cliff fairly well and I know that he is a quality person; I know Ed pretty well too and he's a quality guy too. I'll bet if you put the 2 of them in a room, neither would talk/act like MeanHusky has been here.

I don't think you could go wrong ordering gear from either one of these guys... and since there is plenty of work (and then some) for all the saw builders out there, what is the reason for all the hostility?

I've never once heard Ed crowing about being the best... he's good and he knows it, but "best" is pretty subjective. The nice thing about Ed is that he is willing to help people without putting them down... and if he can't help, he tells them that too. I think attacking a guy because his customers say he's good, and you like another builder better, is pretty low.

Did anone notice that the last post, before the thread was bumped, was 06-28-04?

NC Axeman, thanks for putting the hotsaw argubate into perspective. You're obviously familiar with the various builders & their fans. One of the saw builders that you mentioned HAS made some posts here on AS where he questions, sometimes subtley & sometimes outright, the work & integrity of another builder.

Back