How bad is running 50/1 mix in 40/1 saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run 50:1 Stihl orange in all my saws, new and old. Have for years with no problems. I make sure I run gas without ethenol in it. I have XL-12's, lots of older Jonsereds 111S, 80, 70E' 49SP,490, Might have to re-adjust the carb a tad. Bob

Not a problem at all with proper, certified mix oil. I run all my saws on the same mix regardless of the their "original" recommendations. The difference is the oil, not the saw. Hopefully this won't erupt into a flare up like that EPA thread.............:)

One thing I am curious about.

If you change the mixture via the oil from 50:1 to 32:1, what do you do to compensate for the leaner air/ fuel mixture?

if you have more oil in your fuel, dont you have less fuel per air? ( leaner air mixture?)

when people say rich or lean, they generally mean air/fuel I think.

but?

does it displace enough fuel to make a difference?

I run everything at 40:1. I use premium fuel in all my OPE and I avoid fuel with any ethanol in it, the four strokes probably wouldn't matter as much as the two strokes, but I can't imagine e85 is very good for saws, especially older ones. I use high quality nonsynthetic oil intended for use in air cooled engines. Some guys are all about the synthetic oil, I am not sold on it yet, I guess it's more of a matter of personal preference. I know guys who have a 32:1 weed wacker, a 50:1 blower, a 40:1 saw and a 4 stroke mower, and have a gas can for each machine because theyre afraid of getting the mix off just slightly that the motor will be ruined. This is a bit silly to me, all modern 2 strokes should be able to run off the same can of mixed fuel, and I decided that 40:1 is the ratio that has the most compromise for all my equipment.

I run 23.1:1, full synthetic in everything, and no problems yet, so that proves
I am right, and the rest of you guys are wrong, and suc, and, well, suc......

But I could be wrong....

Latest posts

Back