How Big is Too Big

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jthornton

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I'm cutting a red oak at a friends house. I'm down to the trunk and it is 11'6" in circumference so approximately 3 1/2' in diameter. I put away my Stil 021 long ago when the branches got bigger than 14" in diameter and borrowed a larger Stil with a 20" bar. The top 15' are crotches so I know I can't do anything with that. There is about 20' of good wood above the rotten base. I cut some vertical cuts on one side then noodled down the middle. That takes a long time for the amount of wood you put on the trailer. Is it really worth it?

JT

It would to me if I were helping a friend clear the tree out. For plain old firewood probably not without better tools.

Red oak splits like a dream! Whittle it from the outside in using your tool of choice. Yes it is worth it and the crotches are the best burning wood in the whole tree.

REAL good excuse to go get you a bigger saw! The Saw Gawdz shove these tests at ya!

Once you have enough saw to tackle any tree, man, life is good....

Well, OK, other things are nice too, just sayin'....I went years and years with a one small saw plan, bleh, I was delusional. Much more bettah with a selection, small to large. Took a tornado to shake me from my complacency, but it worked.

REAL good excuse to go get you a bigger saw! The Saw Gawdz shove these tests at ya!

I made a conscious decision to buy a saw with a 20 in. bar. I figured if I couldn't cut it with that, my 60+ y.o. back shouldn't be handling it anyway. But still, I find myself cutting 36 in. logs, which I have to quarter before loading in the truck, and lusting after an 80cc saw with a 36 in. bar.

C.A.D.: No known cure.

Yes CAD ( chainsaw acquisition disease) will eventually encompass you. In the mists of time past I was in a similar position, 14" saw and chunks that were 3x or more than it. Now I have a reasonable stable of units 45cc to 80cc with bars to 32", still a bit short once in a while and lust after the Holy Grail of something in the 120cc class (no cure for cad and I seem to have a very bad case).
A semi-chisel chain in .325 pitch will work just fine for you, stays sharper a bit longer than a full chisel will. Safety vs non safety ( anti kick back) likely at your particular level of skill never notice the difference. Pitch has to do with the spacing of the drive links. One area that might be noticeable in the cut is a lo-pro vs a standard height chain, but your saw might not have the clearance internally to run a full height chain.

Is It Worth It ?

I believe it's worth it. If you don't have to drive very far to it. If you can easily get your trailer into the cutting area. I'd get all of it I can.

Nosmo

I love Oak, yes it is worth it. I started cutting with an 029 super. Then I figured since I planned on burning wood I needed a saw! My next saw was an 066, then added a 192t. I run a 28" bar on the 66, a 16" on the 029 and life has been good ever since. I have not run into anything in Indiana that I can't handle with this saw trio. I added a 12 volt winch and boom to my trailer so I don't have to lift large rounds by hand any more.

No No its totally not worth all that work. Just show me where it is and I will take care of it for you...

Ok really it is worth it at least for me. I had a black walnut this year that was similar in size and I had to noodle just about every round. Was it worth it yes just make sure you keep your chain sharp and be patient. Plus getting a bigger saw wouldn't hurt a thing. Early next year I plan to move to the 2 saw plan.

It can be done just cut straight down thru the top then down one side then the other. Home owner paid a tree co. to cut this one and a neighbor said he would cut it up and failed. I found it on craigslist and got three truck loads out of it.Cut with 028 wood boss with a 20 inch bar. This was one of a few big trees that made me finality buy a bigger saw.View attachment 315683View attachment 315684View attachment 315685

I cut 30-40 inch oak all the time using an 026 with a 20 inch bar... I've never felt under-gunned and that big stuff makes a lot of wood. Don't leave the crotches behind, that there is some damn good firewood. Keep your chain razor sharp and don't force the saw, keep the RPM's up... let the saw do the work. You need a few wedges to avoid pinch... set them early in the cut and reset as you work. A long, strong pry bar can help separate the rounds if your cuts don't line-up perfectly. Once you get a system down it really goes pretty fast.

Wow 16 replies... yes it is a good friend and he lives about 20 miles away. I can back my 16' trailer up to the tree and stand on it to cut the top. I'm not fully understanding how you can cut the crotches up. I'll have to take a photo of it next time I go over there. My saw buddy worked on the chain and I fixed the 20" bar up it was a mess so I hope it cuts straight now. I'm 60 so I work at a slower pace...

There is enough wood for everyone come and get it.

Thanks
JT

I'd love an oak free that size, I usually find people with huge logs that need help splitting and bring my splitter with its lift boom its pretty easy handling them and split the wood for splits. Works out good for the both of us! I'd find someone with a bigger saw and offer them some of the wood for helping ya 2 people work faster then one especially if the other guy is younger with a bigger saw lol.

Yea, my buddy helps load the trailer and has a saw smaller than my 021... but he gets his dads tractor with a front bucket to load the big rounds. When I get home I roll the big ones off and stack the smaller ones.

JT

Back