How do I know when to replace my MS251 bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wahoowad

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm on my original bar having bought the saw new in 2014. I only cut a few trees a year at most so the saw does not see heavy use. A new bar isn't cheap so don't want to replace it 'just because.'

Image of my bar

IMG-9988.jpg

24 trees? That's a lot of wear for 24 trees...

edges of bar are blue. Burnt or factory hardened?

not enough oil on the bar..?

Early on I wasn't as good with keeping my chains sharp, hence I bucked up a few trees with dull chains that generated some heat and discolored the bar. I also feel the saw has intermittent oiling issues, but probably operator error. Even recently I had concerns it was oiling the chain but I ran it with the bar off and saw the oiler pumping out oil.
I am a little wiser now in using it but it cuts great with a sharp chain so am assuming the bar is still good. Occurred to me I didn't know the difference between good or replace so thought I'd ask.

Early on I wasn't as good with keeping my chains sharp, hence I bucked up a few trees with dull chains that generated some heat and discolored the bar. I also feel the saw has intermittent oiling issues, but probably operator error. Even recently I had concerns it was oiling the chain but I ran it with the bar off and saw the oiler pumping out oil.
I am a little wiser now in using it but it cuts great with a sharp chain so am assuming the bar is still good. Occurred to me I didn't know the difference between good or replace so thought I'd ask.
Crank the oiler up to max, then back it off if needed. But start with it set to max oil.

I think Madsen's presents a pretty balanced approach to deciding to throw a bar away.

http://www.madsens1.com/bnc_bar_maint.htm
I own, and run, a number of bars I have snaked out of the recycle bin. They're fine. Some guys seem to make a hobby out of throwing bars and drive sprockets away.

In general, if a bar cuts straight, has no cracked rails, has a functioning sprocket, and is not throwing chains...I run it. It seems like that is what Madsen's is suggesting, too.

Roy

Latest posts

Back