How do I manage large amounts of firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had the same issues piling, and some even with stacking multiple rows tight together in racks as the center row stays wet due to lack of sun and good air flow.View attachment 618101 View attachment 618102
I gave forty of these racks away this summer. One customer took eight, another three, and another took five, and another took ten.
I am now using the Posch Pack-Fix, a German pallet and netting system, made in Austria.
Northeast Implement in Spencer, New York is the Posch importer. I found them excellent to work with.
There are pluses and minuses to any system.

The pluses are: easy to use; easy to move wood; seasons very well due to small amount (loose thrown and wrapped with netting); which means no stacking; very consistent quantities; easy to cover if need be (We just had five weeks of rain. The individual pallets are covered and dry); the equipment is top of the line quality.

Minuses: takes room unlike a pile or tight stacking (four pallets to a stacked cord); need a delivery system like a skid steer or fork lift to unload at customers or hand unload, which is what I am currently doing. (1/4 cord, or pallet, of green Oak is about 1,450 pounds; seasoned Oak maybe 1,000 pounds... so a small tractor isn't going to lift it); requires a conveyor; up front initial expense of the Posch equipment itself.

Also, I work alone, but for optimal daily output a second person is needed as the online videos will show.
Google Posch and check it out.
If interested...come run mine.View attachment 618099View attachment 618100
You win! That is one sweet set-up you have Sir.

I’ve been doing more and more firewood as my business has been growing. I don’t like it but I have a hard time getting rid of logs. Last year I did maybe 60 cords and this year it’s over a hundred. I have it out in the open, full sun, and on sand/gravel with moderate drainage. The stuff towards the middle is wet AF and moldy and all the bark is chewed up.

At this point do I have to look into getting a screener or putting down a concrete floor? Please keep in mind I make little money on this end of my biz so I’m trying not to kill the bank.[/Q Do you buy log loads,or is this wood that you are harvesting from your own tract of land?

You could make an a frame out of pallets. Let your wood pile up on that. Don't let the wood cover the ends. Then you pile will have an air tunnel under it to help with the moisture in the middle.

Scott

Back