How do I safely bring down these trees?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pa Pa Jack

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I own 25 acres in SC. The eastern border line runs along an old pasture that hasn't been maintained for at least 20 years. The fenceline is barbed wire but very little of it is attached to trees. Mostly, they used cedar posts. A great deal of the trees along this border only have limbs on the eastern side and are leaning substantially. They also block any sunlight from reaching into the woods behind them causing those trees to be stunted.

I would like to take most of those leaning trees down for firewood, but I'm not sure I can do it. I only have a small 35HP tractor and no kind of rigging. The neighbor is a pain and is worried about his fence even though he has never maintained it at all and has many long areas already on the ground. the entire fenceline is about 1/4 mile long and has a lot of good firewood in it.

Any advice?

first is what is the law say about fence row who owns what. in Iowa all fences have a center marking, owner to the right of post has all repairs.I would not do anything until laws are checked you may have to work with the neighbor .If neighbor is a pain it may be a good idea to walk away.

I own 25 acres in SC. The eastern border line runs along an old pasture that hasn't been maintained for at least 20 years. The fenceline is barbed wire but very little of it is attached to trees. Mostly, they used cedar posts. A great deal of the trees along this border only have limbs on the eastern side and are leaning substantially. They also block any sunlight from reaching into the woods behind them causing those trees to be stunted.

I would like to take most of those leaning trees down for firewood, but I'm not sure I can do it. I only have a small 35HP tractor and no kind of rigging. The neighbor is a pain and is worried about his fence even though he has never maintained it at all and has many long areas already on the ground. the entire fenceline is about 14 mile long and has a lot of good firewood in it.

Any advice?
Well if you hit his fence he prob is going to tell you to fix it. He could make a big deal out of nothing. I would see what you think of how he is going to be before you start. Ask him if it hits the fence are you worried and you can get a good idea if you should even attempt this.

I have no good insight on the fence issue. But I'd say you have more than enough tractor for that job.

Clearly there is no animal issue for the fence to be maintained since it's already down in some areas. I'd say just start working. Deal with that mess afterwards

Have the lines been surveyed recently? You might actually own past the fence. But check your local laws before any damage occurs. The neighbor could turn into a royal pain if something happens to the fence.

A friend of mine recently bought some property, Same situation as you. Wanted to clear some trees from the fence row and the neighbor threw a fit. He had it surveyed and turns out he owns 20ft on the other side of the fence. Something to look into.

He may but it depends on the size of the tree and amount of lean

I meant for handling after they're down. I'm not chaining any of my equipment to a tree that isn't down. You just never know and a tree will win over most trucks/tractors.

I'd walk the fence first, and preferably with the neighbor. Write down the condition and take pictures of it BEFORE doing any cutting. Write up what you found, add photos, write up that the neighbor agrees that what you've got is what is there, and have them sign and date it. Make copies--one for them, original for you.

Next step, get agreement with neighbor in writing and signed off by them, that you agree to take down the good section of fence before falling and will put it up after your work is completed. Maybe give yourself a time to get it done, like 14 days or something solid. Both of you sign and date.

After you are done, walk it with the neighbor. Write up a little statement that the fence is back up, and is in the same condition as before you started working. Both sign and date.

You will need to be a good neighbor and toss any slash or debris you've made back onto your property.

I would like to take most of those leaning trees down for firewood, but I'm not sure I can do it. I only have a small 35HP tractor and no kind of rigging. The neighbor is a pain and is worried about his fence even though he has never maintained it at all and has many long areas already on the ground. the entire fenceline is about 14 mile long and has a lot of good firewood in it.

Any advice?

How do you come to have a
Stretch of a fenceline on 25
acres on the eastern border
that is 14 miles long?
Is this Southern math? :)

I'd suggest removing the bobwire first, then dropping the trees you want. If you or the neighbor is in a hurry to get the fence wire back up, clear the fence line of logs first. Bobwire is fairly easy to string back up.

Have a chat with the neighbor man first and see if he's cool with the idea. You may be able to leave the wire on the ground, just remember where it is when working over there. Clean up, staple it back to the posts.

Sounds like this fence has not been maintained very well and has fell into disrepair. BUT you can take it to the bank if no contact at ALL is made the first tree that lands on the fence he will be over, hopping mad that you just RUINED his good fence.

I'd walk the fence first, and preferably with the neighbor. Write down the condition and take pictures of it BEFORE doing any cutting. Write up what you found, add photos, write up that the neighbor agrees that what you've got is what is there, and have them sign and date it. Make copies--one for them, original for you.

Next step, get agreement with neighbor in writing and signed off by them, that you agree to take down the good section of fence before falling and will put it up after your work is completed. Maybe give yourself a time to get it done, like 14 days or something solid. Both of you sign and date.

After you are done, walk it with the neighbor. Write up a little statement that the fence is back up, and is in the same condition as before you started working. Both sign and date.

You will need to be a good neighbor and toss any slash or debris you've made back onto your property.
If I had to go to all this trouble I think I would forget it. Usually if you take time to talk it out and he understands you will leave the fence in better shape than it began, he will work with you. If I had to photo document, draw up contract, and keep attorney on speed dial I would not fool with it. I have had neighbor problems and they make you loose sleep. Good luck whatever you do.

Well if you hit his fence he prob is going to tell you to fix it. He could make a big deal out of nothing. I would see what you think of how he is going to be before you start. Ask him if it hits the fence are you worried and you can get a good idea if you should even attempt this.
Dificult think to have neighbors with JB weld stuck in theirs heads:laugh::laugh:

Back