How do I store my new saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sweeney

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
OK, so I got my new saw this week; a Husky 340e and used it on Saturday to cut down and cut up a dead 60', 16" maple next to my shed. You guys were right, it doesn't have the power of my old Homelite SuperSL, but it really is a sweet saw. Cuts like butter and it started on the third pull right out of the box. Way easy to start, much easier than the big Husky's we have a work. I don't know why it has the "e" feature, it would probably be just as easy to start without it.

So here's my problem. My old Homelite really deteriorated once I stopped using it regularly and only pulled it out once a year. Now, I don't cut firewood anymore since I have a pellet stove, so how do I keep this saw in good shape while it is just sitting around. I know not to use old gas, but how old is old? Should I run it down to empty or just drain it? Do those gasoline conditioners work? What else can I do to keep it from falling apart and keep it ready to use when it is usually just sitting in the shed?

Thank you for your help. All you ideas are appreciated.

if not planning on needing it in a hurry

I would pour the gasoline out of the tank, and then start the saw and run the carb dry at slightly above idle. Bar oil could remain IMO

I agree...If you are using the saw consistantly every week thoug,it won't hurt to leave the gas in.Just be sure you keep it lokked up,as many of my saws have grown legs and ventured out on their own

I'm another infrequent saw user. Along with dumping the gas and running it dry I also choke it and give it a few more pulls to get all the gas out of the carb. I also empty the bar oil in case the saw is one of those that weeps bar oil while it sits.
To me, any gas older than a month is old gas.

I have an 026 I would use like crazy for a couple of weeks and then it would sit for 8 months or more. (We bought a few acres a couple of years ago and it rarely sits.) I would always run it out of gas and then pull start it a couple more times to get the last little bit out of the carb. Also pull off the covers and tidy things up a bit.

Next time I needed it, fresh gas, about 1/2 dozen pulls to prime and one more to start. I never worried about the bar oil either. Would add to whatever was left from the time before.

This has worked for my Stihl and Echo. Husky may instruct otherwise.

After using my saws, I thoroughly clean them, refill the oil and fuel tanks, leave some slack in the chain and put them on the shelf; so that they are 'ready to go' the next time I need to use them. If a couple of months go by without using one of them, I take it off the shelf and practice cutting some 'disks', good for me and the saw both. :greenchainsaw:

If you run them out of fuel, aren't you leaning the cylinder out and then basically storing it DRY? I'd rather choke it and flood it and store it with some lube in the cylinder.

Dry=RUST! :taped:

I used to run fuel tanks empty before storage. An old timer suggested I woud do better leaving the tank full as smaller amounts of fuel spoil quicker then large amounts and it is usually difficult to get everything through the carb and the tank can likewise have enough fuel left after attempting to drain it to cause problems. He gave me a saw that had set a very long time he had left with a full tank and it started easily so I switched methods and seem to have less problems.I try to make it a point to use only very fresh gas and I definatelydo not trust stabil as it has failed me to many times. If I have an saw or any gas engine sit 2 + months I try to make it point to start them and freshen up the fuel with some new.

It really depends how long you intend to store it.

If it were less than 2 months, and you had premium gas and good mix, I'd filler up.

When I ran it again, I'd run it dry, refill with fresh stuff, and run it some more.

If you are going to store long term, I agree that running it dry is the best way.

I used to try Stabil, and old gas, and it sucked, wrecked a bunch o' stuff.

The oil in the gas should coat everything enough to prevent rust.
If you leave gas in the tank, you run the risk of lacquering everything, then you have a clogged fuel filter, carb, etc.

Just one guys opinion.

2 Stroke engines want to rust the Crank bearings when they are leaned out. You'd be better off shooting in a squirt of fogging oil to protect the cylinder and crank bearings.

I would suggest looking at your owners manual. I know I picked up all kinds of info when I bought my new Dolmar 7900. Dolmar advises against running the carb dry for storage, as the carb seals and diaphragm deteriorate. I'm sure husky has similar advice in their manual.

Running them dry, still leaves fuel in the float bowl of the carb anyway, so that just varnishes in there and plugs the main jet, and WAMOOOO you have a lean burn down. :bang:

I thought if you pulled the starter after running dry, it would clear the carb out. Not true?

Chainsaws are toys and toys should be played with regularly :hmm3grin2orange:

I always start mine up once in a while and cut something just for fun so I can justify having it in my garage.:yoyo:

Latest posts

Back