How do I store my new saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Running a saw dry (at idle) does run the carb out. It does not leave the internals in a dry condition conducive to rust... everything is still coated with a nice film of lube.

Obviously if you are storing them for a long time, don't leave them in an unheated/humid garage - bring them inside the house/basement or wherever.
Best thing - run them every 6 months or so with fresh gas, get them hot, and then shutdown and idle dry

I would suggest looking at your owners manual. I know I picked up all kinds of info when I bought my new Dolmar 7900. Dolmar advises against running the carb dry for storage, as the carb seals and diaphragm deteriorate. I'm sure husky has similar advice in their manual.

I disagree with Dolmar then... 3 months.. doesn't really matter... 12 months with gas in the carb - a problem! MOST of the service work I do is the result of poor storage and old gas.

So do these carburators have FLOAT BOWLS or Not?

If they DO have float bowls, then the only way to get the gas out of them is to either remove the carb, or to take the drain plug out of it. The float bowl will stand full of fuel no matter how you run the engine dry.
That fuel will sit and decompose in the bowl and then you'll have your varnish.

So do these carburators have FLOAT BOWLS or Not?

If they DO have float bowls, then the only way to get the gas out of them is to either remove the carb, or to take the drain plug out of it. The float bowl will stand full of fuel no matter how you run the engine dry.
That fuel will sit and decompose in the bowl and then you'll have your varnish.

No... they don't have float bowls... at least not in the last 45 years (o.k., someone will no doubt come up with some!) and the metering chamber is pretty much bone dry when the saw sucks the last of the gas out.

Running them dry, still leaves fuel in the float bowl of the carb anyway, so that just varnishes in there and plugs the main jet, and WAMOOOO you have a lean burn down. :bang:

Can't say I've ever seen a chainsaw carb with a float. Float type carbs don't generally like to be laid on their side when running as is done with a chainsaw.
Finnbear

Didn't the 26LCS Homelite have a float in its carb? I've never looked at one, but I thought that was the entire reason for its rotating handle.

Dan

I kinda figured they might not have a float bowl, but I'm used to working on Snowmobile and ATV carbs.

Latest posts

Back