How do i use my Pferd tool

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoBDoG2o02

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I bought a Pferd saw file holder/gauge. My understanding is its the same as the stihl sharpener only blue instead of orange.....

So i used it, saw is REALLY sharp but still makes a curved cut through a log i cant seem to get it even. i dont think the right cutters are taking as much material as theleft cutters. could it be the bar? If i pull the saw in and out, like a handsaw, while making a cut the problem isnt as bad, at least the saw doesnt bind as bad.

Should i take the chain in for a good sharpening and then use the tool to keep it sharp? The chain in question was pretty bad when i started filing away.

You can use a small crescent wrench to check length of cutters. Lefts and rights should be the same length. The depth gauges should also be the same left and right.

Don't get discouraged; most people have a strong side/weak side when learning to file.

Ted

Might also be you pushing on the outside of the front handle bar.

If the cutters are the same length, the rakers are consistent, and there is not operator error on muscling the saw through the cut, then I'd go to the rails on the bar.
Remove the bur, square up the rails, then see what's up.

As the Keystone man said, check your bar. In addition to the rails not being square, they may also be spread allowing the chain to "lay over" and cut to the side. Also be sure you are running the correct gauge chain for the bar, if it is narrower (i.e. .058" chain in an .063" bar) you will get the same effect. Lastly, check to see if the cutters are the same length, if you have been more aggressive in filing on one side the teeth on the other side will be higher and the saw will pull in that direction.

Latest posts

Back