How do you clean your chainsaw air filter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oxbow

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My Husqvarna 137 stalled and wouldn't start. Took off the cover and it looked like the filter was coated with fine sawdust. Soaked it in raw gasoline and blew it off (from inside) with compressed air. Put it back together and started and ran fine. Is there a better way to clean the filter? Do you just check it one in a while to know when it needs cleaning?

Cheapo paint brush untill it gets embedded, then blast it out with compressed air.

Half the time a good shake will get it clean.
Huskys are like that.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I don't have an air compressor. If I did, I'd use it. Instead, I vacuum it (from the outside out) and it comes clean.

Dont use gas to clean your air filter! Wash it with mild dish soap like dawn. Then air dry it or if you must, use a air compressor.

Call me neat freak, but I clean my air filters after ALL cutting sessions.

I have never gone beyond a compressor blow. Do you guys feel that the amount you get out with dish soap would really affect air flow? I mean real airflow not trying to gain .05% more flow;)
:cheers:

I guy once told me to use diluted spray nine, in warm water. I have been using this method and it works good with the nylon mesh filters. What do others think? As for the flocked type I would probably stick with soap and water.

I have never gone beyond a compressor blow. Do you guys feel that the amount you get out with dish soap would really affect air flow? I mean real airflow not trying to gain .05% more flow;)
:cheers:

Try it for yourself. It is very impressive what comes out of the flocked filters in soap after a shot of air.

blow them out with the compressor. i also pack exstra filters to swap on when im buckn alot of wood. when the saw gets to 4 strokn in the cut i swap to the clean filter

I tap them on the side to knock stuff loose, then blow at about 35-40 psi from the side, gently to not damage filter. NOT 120 psi.........

Andy (Lakeside) used to say NOT to use compressed air, but use soap and water and air dry. I like to spray carb cleaner from the inside out, then let dry.

Dish soap and warm water at the end of the day, then let it sit overnight to dry. You would be surprised how much stuff comes out, even after the air compressor. :)

+1, depends on filter design.

1) knock off any big crud

2) disassemble or open if possible (MS 260, MS 460, MS 660, etc.)

3) blow from inside out with compressed air, if available (some guys carry those cans sold in the photo or electronics stores)

4) wash, as above, especially if dirty (e.g. dirt, grease, etc., aside from just wood dust). Usually only the fabric band on the 2-piece STIHL filters.

5) blow out again from inside out to remove as much of the water as possible.

6) let dry

7) carry extra filters in field so I can do the cleaning and drying at home.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back