How do you clean your saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do a search there are pages and pages.

Compressed air for the oil/dust crap. If it's still dirty sometimes I'll make a solution of mild detergent and soak the clutch cover in it for a little while. If compressed air is unavailable, I find a toothbrush real handy. I have a couple of bottles of stihl cleaner/degreaser which also works well and seems paint safe.

MGF

Cleaning saws

I just aquired a Ebay saw. It was a oily mess.So i took the plug out and squirted some 30w in the cyl.Then stripped the saw and plugged all the ports with paper towel. Then hot water and Dawn dish soap soak to the plastic parts. Toothbrush,several other sizes. And went at it. Sprayed it down and dried tha parts. Cleaned the fins,carb,around clutch ect. As long as the h2o stays on the outside.works great. If they can clean the Alaskan ducks of oil that sold me. Cheerio.

on four wheeler engines pressure washer to get big stuff then soak it in toilet bowl cleaner , then wash again , that toilet bowl cleaner will pull some stuff off.

On saws , scrape the big crap , then put it in parts washer , got a set of various sized wire brushes. one big like for grill , one medium then a samll one like a tooth brush , ( p.s. deisil works in parts washer just fine ) and scrub and scarpe until i got it clean as i want it , i do the cleaning primarily when i got the saw bout tore down , leave cyliner on it to keepo garbage out of crankcase .

Latest posts

Back