How do you climb ?????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rahtreelimbs

A.K.A Rotten Tree Limbs
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Amoungst My Saws........Fool That Has Too Many!!!
I was working for a treeclimbing friend of mine today. I was climbing a corkscrew style Blackcherry. When I can I will throw my climbing line up over a crotch and climb from there. I was told today that I need to learn to climb more using my lanyard. Now personally I see nothing wrong with my style. I do know that sometimes a suitable crotch can't be reached, then you need to climb on your lanyard. Seems to me just a matter of different climbing styles. So how do you guys handle this? Rich.

Last edited:
Rich, It sounds like you are working smart. Sure, climb on you lanyard-with the climbing line tied in above you for back-up security!

i throw my line above me all the time. theres nothing wrong with that. different strokes for different folks i guess. i like the piece of mind of extra security. even when chunking down a stick i keep my climbing line tied below my lanyard. your climbing line does no good clipped to the back of your saddle.

Rich, are you asking how we ASCEND the tree? Or are you asking about moving around in the canopy AFTER you're tied in?

Spike-it, I believe two tie-in points are now required when using a chain saw in a tree.

"Spike-it, I believe two tie-in points are now required when using a chain saw in a tree"

well i guess i only break the rules half the time then. now if i could only learn to keep 2 hands on a saw i'd be ok.:D

One thing a flipline is good for while ascending with 2 of them is you can make some moves easier on your body by using the lanyard as a pivot.

I do this if the crotch is just a little too far away to get a foot in. Flip over it or one higher. Get a foot on the stem, and push/walk up. One of those little tricks that you don't use very often, but can take some of the wear off your body. this is where I realy like having the Grillon, it adjusts so easy, even under tension.

Another thing is, with the split tail, use your line as a second lanyard and flip back and forth between them.

Climb how ever you want to climb! Can you get the job done safely and in a reasonable amount of time? If so then why listen to him. I got into tree climbing a while after I got into rock climbing about 15 years ago. While not recommended, I am a totally self taught rock and tree climber. I read books and manuals like there is no tomorrow. Then take that info outside to try it low and slow. I never had any tree or rock guy teach me when I was starting out. I think this was good for me because I didn't pick up alot of bad habits and usually started out with the newest technology available. For example, after I learned to climb on hooks I started climbing on a split tail from the start when on rope if not using SRT. The only thing that I don't use on a regular basis is an advanced hitch, I'll use a Distel sometimes but still prefer a Blake's.

Steve

Latest posts

Back