How Do You Compare the 123cc Macs and the P100/PM1000/2100's?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProMac1K

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
How would you best describe the difference in cutting between one of the big 123cc Macs and a 100cc saw like a Partner P100 or Husqvarna 1100/2100? I haven't had the opportunity to use both. Are the 123cc Macs much better in bigger wood like 36", or are they more-so valued for their collectability? Are they much different or slower than the 100cc saws in 28" wood? I'm just curious how much i'm missing. Anyone care to comment? How do the 125's run?

Last edited:
I have a SP125C and my buddy Dean has a Pro Mac 1000. As soon as my hand gets well, I will get Dean to run his 1000 against my 125. That would make a good video.

Thanks! That sounds like a fun video to watch.

How do the stock 125's do in comparison to something like a 394xp? Where would the torque take over with the 125 in the bigger wood?

Hope to hear that your hand gets better!

i ran my 125 next to my 394 in a 22" dried oak. the 394 was faster by virtue of the chain speed. it was not a fair comparo bc the 394 was wearing a 24" bar. it was really fun seeing the 60" bar hanging out of the other side on the 125. you can lean (no make that yank) on 125 without effecting chainspeed too much.

SP125s like big wood...:)

attachment.php

IMHO, I would say the 123cc Mac's like the
797 and the SP125 are a bit stronger in the
big wood 36" and larger. The Husky 2100 is
a great saw and faster in the smaller wood
but still no slouch in the larger wood too.
The P100 not quite as much power as a 2100.

Lee

The McCulloch sp125 really does well wearing a 3' bar. It balances out nicely. The old saw makes a lot of power but also drinks a lot of fuel as well. For a fair comparison you should compare the sp125 to the Stihl 088. Both seem to be fairly close in power, just the 088 still has a little more chain speed it seems.

Thanks Lee, that's what I was guessing. I didn't know how the P100 and 2100 compared though, so that's interesting. A guy would think they would be somewhat close due to their size, vintage, and manufacturer. But I suppose the porting and carburetion makes enough of a difference.

The McCulloch sp125 really does well wearing a 3' bar. It balances out nicely. The old saw makes a lot of power but also drinks a lot of fuel as well. For a fair comparison you should compare the sp125 to the Stihl 088. Both seem to be fairly close in power, just the 088 still has a little more chain speed it seems.

Thanks Thomas

How would you compare a SP125 and an 084 with a 36" bar? About the same as an 088, right?

The reason for my questioning is i'm trying to come up with a future saw purchase. I didn't know if I would be gaining much by getting anything bigger than the PM1000. My thoughts were to run a 36" bar. I don't know how the PM1000 would run with a 36", it has a 28" on it.

Last edited:
Just by me comparing my sp125 and the 088 both are really close. Both weigh about the same. The 088 has a little higher chain speed and better anti vibration but the sp125 does have more grunt for longer bars. The sp125 is a little stronger construction and is more compact and less bulky. Now these are just my opinions about the two saws. Very little has changed in power over the years in stock 120+ cc saws, but it is the nice little features like more efficient anti vibration that makes the newer saws better. The only reason I would grab the 088 for an everyday work saw would be for the parts availability and the anti-vibration.

Thanks Thomas

How would you compare a SP125 and an 084 with a 36" bar?

The reason for my questioning is i'm trying to come up with a future saw purchase. I didn't know if I would be gaining much by getting anything bigger than the PM1000. My thoughts were to run a 36" bar. I don't know how the PM1000 would run with a 36", it has a 28" on it.

If your going to run a 36 incher all the time,
then i would look into some more cc's. The
PM1000 will pull a 36 inch but i wouldn't
recommend it all the time. Parts are hard to
find for the PM1000 and i would hate to see you
where it out. 084's, 088's and 3120's can be found
very easily.

Just my opinion Lee

Look up an old thread titled "The Old Giants", it will provide a few hours of good reading and lots of information directed towards your question.

Because of that thread, I started looking and came up with two SP125's. They are great saws with loads of power, but do not have exceptional chain speed. If I run .404" chain and someone with a 3210 is running .375" I can't keep up.

I can fit mine with an 18" bar and run .375" chain on a 9 (maybe 10?) pin sprocket but you still don't get a chance to take full advantage of all that torque.

Speaking of torque...

attachment.php

McCulloch 840, 3:1 gear reduction and 48" bar running 1/2" pitch chipper chain.

Mark

I wouldn't be using the saw very often with the size of wood I see, it would be more to have something around as a dedicated long-bar saw. I like the PM1000 with the 28", to me it balances right. I like the Macs, but not having ran the 125/797's and never seeing them ran side by side, I didn't know how to compare them. I've got some 80/85cc saws, but I feel they balance right with a 24" bar and the power seems right in the hardwood that I cut.

Thanks for your input, Mark! I will have to search through that thread again. I will check it out again.

I love the pictures and video you took of that tree cutting Mark. It's the first time I have seen a Mac in some big wood. It sure put a smile on my face!

Last edited:
The 797 has no anti vibe, but is a different (stronger) saw than a 125. In my opinion it is the next step up from a 125 and before a full on 101B kart saw. Jacob could probably chime in here with some authority too, but this has been my experience with several examples of each model. Also if your 125 has a fully adjustable carb as opposed to the fixed high jet version and you have a sprocket tip bar with 3/8 chisel chain and an 8 pin rim the chainspeed can be very respectable. My opinion for what it is worth.

If your looking for a vintage muscle saw,
I would go with the 125 Mac and as Hoss
stated try to get one with the fully adjustable
carb. The 125's can be found very easily.
And a fun saw to run.

Lee

Yeah, I used to watch Saw-King's auctions and dream. I haven't seen many up on auction from him for awhile. He was a good resource for them for awhile it seemed.

Back