How much chain do you use up before you retire a chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are the missing cutters all in a row?

I’ve never used TXL so cant comment to that.

They were in a row on the old chain but not the new one. Same side on both. Local shop has reels, but it may cost more to repair than a new chain.

svk says: Visegrips and a grinding wheel on a bench grinder. You can grind those stupid things off and you’ll have a standard semi chisel chain.

Right. I also happen to notice few years ago that I could grind them of using the vise grips and bench grinder method and have faster cutting chains.

I’d keep running it unless you see any issues.

Thinking the same. Thought the first one might want to cut in an arc when I saw the missing cutters, but it cut straight. Used it past what is shown in the first post.

The one thing is it's harder to sharpen them when they get really short unless the chain is tight - they want to roll back.

They were in a row on the old chain but not the new one. Same side on both. Local shop has reels, but it may cost more to repair than a new chain.

If ya really want to and I mean want to not need you can go to the saw shop and get a few presets or joining links/whatever they want to call them and hit them up for an off cut of chain. Just replace the single cutters soo get the preset and use a cutter on the other side of it. Use the hammer trick on a hard surface will only cost a few bucks. Other option is find some old chain in your man cave with cutters big enough

I don’t recall.

Oregon chain is fairly soft, I find that it only takes about 3 strokes per tooth to get it to hold your file once you hand file a new chain for the first time.

Last weekend I rocked an Oregon chain that hadn’t been hand filed before. To remove the rounded portion of the cutter plus establish the file shape took some work.

That sinking feeling when you know you hit something. Rolling the chain around looking and looking and bang there it is awww man alright how many you say to yourself then keep looking a couple then 10 then 15 awwww dam it most of the chain.

An hour later with full on wankers cramp your cutting again. Hahaha it helps ya be more careful though I reckon

That sinking feeling when you know you hit something. Rolling the chain around looking and looking and bang there it is awww man alright how many you say to yourself then keep looking a couple then 10 then 15 awwww dam it most of the chain.

An hour later with full on wankers cramp your cutting again. Hahaha it helps ya be more careful though I reckon

Yeah... I hit an embedded j-bolt in the large ash being milled in my thumbnail... Did a lot of damage to the 114 driver chain...

Thinking the same. Thought the first one might want to cut in an arc when I saw the missing cutters, but it cut straight. Used it past what is shown in the first post.

The one thing is it's harder to sharpen them when they get really short unless the chain is tight - they want to roll back.
If the rest of the cutters on that side are sharp it *should* cut straight. Only cuts an arc when all of the cutters on one side are substantially more dull that the other or if you have a worn bar it will flop one way and then keep arcing.

Did a lot of damage to the 114 driver chain...
Yikes

I had to hand file the 81 DL chain that came with my 8500. Both sides rocked but one side really bad. That was enough work I cannot imagine doing a loop nearly 50 percent longer!

LOL right!!!

Yeah... I hit an embedded j-bolt in the large ash being milled in my thumbnail... Did a lot of damage to the 114 driver chain...

Gutted man well good file practice is atleast 1 positive I spose.

If the rest of the cutters on that side are sharp it *should* cut straight. Only cuts an arc when all of the cutters on one side are substantially more dull that the other or if you have a worn bar it will flop one way and then keep arcing.

Also it will cut on the piss if all the rakers are longer on 1 side or teath are shorter however you want to see it.

If I am cutting yard/roadside trees I will dump them over and work from the top back down to the last 6' of trunk. Then do all of my other cutting and to wrap up the project I will buck the last few rounds out of the trunk and then finally flush the stumps.

If I am cutting yard/roadside trees I will dump them over and work from the top back down to the last 6' of trunk. Then do all of my other cutting and to wrap up the project I will buck the last few rounds out of the trunk and then finally flush the stumps.

I take it you find stuff in those trees?

Chains will cut pretty well even if there is a mismatch in tooth length as long as the tooth is sharp and the rakers are set to the same depth.

Exactly I've got rocked chains where 1 side is half the size as the other but the progressive raker gauge sorts that out and cut good as gold

A little secret though....I keep one of my smaller saws set up with an 18" bar and 3/8" low profile chain that I use to buck up wood that has a high probability of containing surprises. Also for wood that has been skidded and the bark is loaded with grit. If I wreck one of them I can toss the chain and find another on clearance for under 10 bucks.

Exactly I've got rocked chains where 1 side is half the size as the other but the progressive raker gauge sorts that out and cut good as gold
As I mentioned a few pages back, it is weird but I almost always end up rocking the flywheel side cutters on my chain. Must just be the way I hold the saw.

Cutting around my cabin is not bad as we are on a sandy hill that turns into clay soil closer to the lake. The terrain around my house is a total rubble field so rock damage happens, especially when cutting in the snow.

As I mentioned a few pages back, it is weird but I almost always end up rocking the flywheel side cutters on my chain. Must just be the way I hold the saw.

Cutting around my cabin is not bad as we are on a sandy hill that turns into clay soil closer to the lake. The terrain around my house it is a total rubble field so rock damage happens, especially when cutting in the snow.

Yeah funny that.

Never cut in snow and what lies beneath it never occurred to me but yeah that white fluffy stuff would harbor all kinds of nasty nasty

Back