How do you guys make people happy by the cord?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbojango

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
So this was beat to death that "ricks aren't acutal measurements" ... Some people have requested a CORD of oak wood from me which is fine, but they want it cut 18-20 inches. I asked a couple old times and they said "if they request it shorter than 24" they are still only getting 2 4x8 stacks" ... I emailed them back and said the cord would be "short" with 20 inch lengths or i would sell them 3 16" stacks (for more dollars, but not that many). I figure with 3 stacks there is 1/3 more work. How do you guys handle these situations? Do i multiply it out, short them the 4" 's or just tell them "you're getting 4' X 16' X 20 inches for XX amount of dollars? Thanks guys!

P.S. Almost ALL wood in this area is sold in rick form so thats why I'm asking

So this was beat to death that "ricks aren't acutal measurements" ... Some people have requested a CORD of oak wood from me which is fine, but they want it cut 18-20 inches. I asked a couple old times and they said "if they request it shorter than 24" they are still only getting 2 4x8 stacks" ... I emailed them back and said the cord would be "short" with 20 inch lengths or i would sell them 3 16" stacks (for more dollars, but not that many). I figure with 3 stacks there is 1/3 more work. How do you guys handle these situations? Do i multiply it out, short them the 4" 's or just tell them "you're getting 4' X 16' X 20 inches for XX amount of dollars? Thanks guys!

What they want is 128 cu ft. , so make a tight stack of that volume ( 4x4x8 or 2x4x16 etc. however you want ) made up of 18-20"s. Put the stack on the truck. Simple as that. One stack, one load. No fancy eastern multiplication necessary.

If you can do it in one load like you said, then fine. If not just do two loads.

If you normally sell 24"x4x8 Kansas Ricks, then price it as two of these.

Last edited:
we sell 4x8 by requested stove length ricks. you want 12 16 18 20 24 inch wood your paying the same price for a 4x8 stack. its the same amount of work per stack whether its the same volume (which it isn't) or not.

we sell 4x8 by requested stove length ricks. you want 12 16 18 20 24 inch wood your paying the same price for a 4x8 stack. its the same amount of work per stack whether its the same volume (which it isn't) or not.

I think the problem here is you want to stack it in a row ( rick )

A cord is a cube of any size that equals 128 cu. ft. It doesn't matter what length the pieces are, you fill the cube.

Sell it any way you want, nobody's stopping you, but if you sell them two 4x8x20" ricks, you're not selling them a full cord like they want.

explain how to "neatly stack" 20 inch pieces into a 4 foot cube and i'll do it. thats exactly what i'm asking :)

They're obviously not going to be all laid one direction. Say you make a box 4x4x8. Make two rows of 18's , then lay the rest sideways til the remaining 12" is filled. Some might even end up vertical to fill it at the end.

yeah... if thats the case its going to be "you're getting this much wood for this many dollars and if you don't like it i'll take my wood home" I'm not building a cube, i'm throwing it out in a pile and going home.

yeah... if thats the case its going to be "you're getting this much wood for this many dollars and if you don't like it i'll take my wood home" I'm not building a cube, i'm throwing it out in a pile and going home.

Then sell them two 18"x4x8 ricks at whatever you think 3/4 of a cord is worth.

Come on, guys! You're smarter than this!

A cord is a fixed volume but the height, width and length of the stack are irrelevant. If the sticks don't add up to the "easy to remember but not a fixed width" of 4 feet, simply increase the height and/or length so the H x W x L comes up to 128. Don't get hung up on the stack being 4 feet tall or 8 feet long - adjust these to whatever you need to make up the ONLY value that's in play - the cubic feet required to make a cord. PM me your email addy and I'll make up a printable spreadsheet that will show the required dimensions of various stacks that equal a cord.

15s5sph.jpg
for small pickups this works well a full cord 4x4x8 is 400 pieces

its not hard!!

How do you guys make people happy by the cord?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
always give a true measure as possible! always the best wood as to their wants an needs!! and always by being honest an friendly to your customers !!! to keep them coming back or calling for deliveries, extra wood an service goes a long way.........a happy customer is the best seller for your product!!!!...................

If you cant get it 4 foot wide using 20 inch wood, make it taller to compensate for the 8'' you lost on the face. It doesnt matter if its 8 foot tall and 24'' wide and 8 foot long, its still 128 cubic foot. Thats all your looking for.:cheers:

Come on, guys! You're smarter than this!

A cord is a fixed volume but the height, width and length of the stack are irrelevant. If the sticks don't add up to the "easy to remember but not a fixed width" of 4 feet, simply increase the height and/or length so the H x W x L comes up to 128. Don't get hung up on the stack being 4 feet tall or 8 feet long - adjust these to whatever you need to make up the ONLY value that's in play - the cubic feet required to make a cord. PM me your email addy and I'll make up a printable spreadsheet that will show the required dimensions of various stacks that equal a cord.

Yup,

It is that easy. Use a pencil paper to multiply and divide, or a calculator if you want to go high tech. There's more than one way to get to 128 cubic feet.

Selling short cords will not get you much repeat business.

Take Care

Decide what you want for a cord,say 200bucks
make your stack4x8x18"=48x96x18 devided by 221,000=.375cord=75bucks.

Here in NH , the only way (legally) firewood can be sold is by the cord, or fraction thereof. A rick, rank, truck load, lump, and arm full are not legal measures. I had no idea what a rick was until I started hanging out here. A cord is 128 cu/ft. ........ no matter what length the firewood is cut to. For me, its fairly easy to show I'd be delivering a cord as my dump trailer is 6 X 10 X 2..... so fill it and add another 2 X 2 X 2.

explain how to "neatly stack" 20 inch pieces into a 4 foot cube and i'll do it. thats exactly what i'm asking :)

Don't get hung up on the 4' or cube part. Calculators are dirt-cheap- heck, you've got "calc" or a similar program free on linux/windows/mac.

Any pile, stacked to minimize air, such that the total volume is 128 cu. ft. is a cord.

If you're fixated on 20" triple that to 60" or 5' and adjust other dimensions to suit.

This "rick" or "face" stuff is a deceptive and misleading practice. IMHO.

and some guys wonder why people assume firewood sellers are stupid...

give them 128 cu feet of wood. if they want 20" wood then so be it. stop worrying about getting it into a 4' space.

3x20" = 60"

60" = 5'

5'*8' = 40'

128' / 40' = 3.2'

3.2' = 3' 2.5"

Give them a stack that is 5' wide, 8' long and 3'2.5" tall better round up to 3'3".

what the hell is so difficult about using a little math?!

the thing that is getting to me on this deal is i ADVERTISED 24" wood. I don't want to make it 20 inches, i have to go custom cut it. Its retarded to think that i should do MORE work for the same dollars. I think its going to be "you're getting 20 inch wood, the same amount of pieces as if it was 24" and its your fault you want it shorter."

Latest posts

Back