How Do You Hold Your Saw When Starting?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have modded all my saws to start with a high speed cordless drill.I have a custom holster that the drill fits in with a pouch on it for an extra battery.I have started a saw before and dropped it.

Last edited:
Saws have a clutch? Oh maybe that's the tan lump under that cover thing on the side.What's the clutch for?
DON

I just keep them idling all the time

I never shut my saws off, I've only had to start them once. It's rather expensive to keep filling them but that way they're ready whenever you need them. Not to mention there's no cold starting required.

It's a good idea and I recommend it to all.

I have modded all my saws to start with a high speed cordless drill.I have a custom holster that the drill fits in with a pouch on it for an extra battery.I have started a saw before and dropped it.

Couple days ago i posted a vidio of a VI944 i started on the kitchen table with a cordless drill..
all the starter stuff was broken.

I chain my saw to a tree then the tie the starter rope to the back of the pickup and give her hell.

I just keep them idling all the time

I never shut my saws off, I've only had to start them once. It's rather expensive to keep filling them but that way they're ready whenever you need them. Not to mention there's no cold starting required.

It's a good idea and I recommend it to all.

We had a guy that did that and it worked great. Until he had to change chains. We call him Paddle Hands now.

Check out the drill in the background,that how i started the saw :)

object>

Pick up with left hand.
Choke.
Pull with right hand.
Turn off choke.

No need to put on ground or use de-comp, but my biggest is a 372xp.

except for Poulan S25 & Husqvarna 435

The top handle Poulan, I have never figured out where to put my foot.
The Husqvarna 435 loses contact between starter & flywheel unless
I firmly drop start it.
The rest, I place foot in rear handle and start on ground; it depends
on the saw.

When your booted foot is too large to fit inside of the rear handle then you can kneel on the top cover and pull, or do as I do and drop start all my saws, even the Stihl 090`s. Been starting saws that way since 1962, no other way for me but I can`t recommend it to everyone unless someone with lots of experience shows the correct method. It has been touted as being very dangerous.
Pioneerguy600

won't work with size thirteen boots....

Cold with all my saws I go with it on the ground, foot in the handle, left hand on the handlebar, right hand pull. Hot with the big Husky, I'll put the handle under my right leg, hold the handle bar and give it a yank

The only way I can get my big size 13 in the handle, and that's with a big saw, is to wear tennis shoes. I don't like the handle under right leg routine, as that puts me in an awkward position, I'm having to pull a bit sideways on the starter rope. I'm thinking if it's possible to place a short, small board in the handle and step on that instead to hold the back of the saw down. If you're starting a big saw with a long, heavy bar, it's easy to get the front of the bar tipping into the ground while you're wrestling around with it getting it started.

No matter how you start your saw, it helps to pull the rope until the piston is at TDC then yank the he77 out of it.
I drop start all my saws BTW.

Drop start, or one hand sling. Some sit on the ground and I sit on them and make LP yank the hello out of um.
I got an old Falls Silver King I'd like to see those guys that put the rear handle behind there knee. No decomp, and 130cc with a 2 1/2 bore. If it bites back they will sing higher notes than Mikey Jackson ever thought about or it'll yank there knee off.

drop start most the time, this is my 066
<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid661.photobucket.com/albums/uu339/Evan03_photo/saw%20vids/GEDC1891.flv">

my 084 i would always put my foot in the handle cause that thing would sometimes try and rip my arm off or if my foot wasnt in the handle the saw would follow my hand, it had 175lbs of compression

Last edited:
Drop start every time. I don't always have someone to help me hold down the Homelite XL400. No decomp... and tons of comp.

I've never experienced a dangerous situation drop starting.

I never start mine, it uses too much gas and makes noise! I just hold the saw against the wood and run it back and forth, while making motor noises. It takes forever to cut but is good exercise.

I tow Twinkle behind the pickup. The Used Dog pops the clutch cover off and Twinkle starts. On a hill, I can let Twinkle coast and pop the clutch myself. That gives The Used Dog some rest.

If you have the chain on backwards, you have to push your saw to start it.

Back