How do you make a living?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well my 40 hr a week job is Hvy equip ops (blades,loaders,dump trucks and semi's)for the County Hwy Dept. I Farm a couple hundred acres and run cows on a couple hundred more and do 4-500 hundred acres of custom harvesting in the fall. I am a volunteer fireman. I like many here am a wood-a-holic if I get a chance I fire up the Stihl and cut all I can. In my spare time I help these guy's www.nebraskabushpullers.com with whatever they need and since back last spring have been doing that web site. Other than that I don't do much else....:cheers:

I drive a 5500gl tanker semi truck pumping out environmental waste water mostly oily greasy nasty smelly dirty stuff. I work mostly east of the Mississippi river from any where from Wisconsin to Lousiana east to Flordia up to Jersey. I live in Tennessee and I am home just in time to get my hands on my saw.I love being in the woods.

I dont have a stove or fire place but I am thinking about getting a stove.I cut fire wood for good exercise and sell it on the side.I know I wont get rich selling wood but the extra money and the health comes in handy.

Thank all you guys for your help and advise.

Michael P

Working in the IT business since 1982, my dad started in 1964 (math/science major). I worked for 'Big Blue' (IBM) for 7 years, early retirement offer (in my 20s), then an IBM Business Partner for another 7 years doing networking and system integration. Currently working for the government doing Network/Security/Telcommunications work, have been doing this for the last 10 years. So I have been screwing around with computers and networks for awhile, and like to come home from the office and wind down with gathering wood, admire my stainless OWB and stare at my large wood piles:)

Married into a rural farm family and love the lack of neighbors and the beautiful farmland (640 acres), 4 wheelers, tractors, etc. FIL has been heating with wood for 20 years, handy with all farming tools and trades and I help with the hay and other minor chores, learning something new every day. Life is good in the country, and my 15 mile commute takes me 20 minutes.

Last edited:
Was a service manager at a Ford/Chry dealership for 10 years, then went to the sales end of the biz. Then I delivered Pepsi for a few months to let my brain grow back after 14 years at the same car dealer. Then I was the Culligan Man for 2 years. Now and for the last almost 5 years I am self employed at my own auto detail shop. It is located 70 feet from my house, the commute is not to bad. We run a 3 engine pulling tractor in the summer for the adrenaline fix. I help a buddy with a small firewood biz, about 100 cords a year.:cheers:

Currently a Tech for Heidelberg USA, Mfr. of Printing presses, prepress and bindery equip.

Previously tech for Bowe Bell+Howell, Mfr of production mail equip.(sorters, inserters etc).

Before that worked for a company rebuilding Mechanical Presses (machines that stamp out everything from car hoods to quarters) Big a$$ filthy machines

And all this time I thought I was posting with arborist.

Landscape business owner/operator for 30 years is how I've pay the bills. In the winter I used to travel the world now I paint landscapes, build furniture and work on fixing up my weekend cottage in the Catskill mountains. Also own a 12 acre wood lot in the Adirondacks hence the user name.

Chief Engineer for a large real estate property mgt. co. in the D.C. metro area, 2 office bldgs, 360K s.f., drive 72 mi. each way from beautiful Mt. Falls. 3rd generation plumber by trade, also licensed in HVAC, gas, electric, owned my own biz for 11 yrs.....fire and water are my friends!

I work for a Logging company operating machinery. I also work some blueberry land, dabble in brush for balsam wreaths (coming up next) and have worked the stern of a scallop dragger/lobster boat and if all else fails can still dig a bushel of clams. Got to have your fingers in several pies up here.:cheers:

I was a middle school English teacher for 15 years after college. I thought I would do that forever. However, marrying into an "own your own business" family has changed my profession for the better. My wife and I now own a tanning salon and a liquor store. I also share a landscaping business with a friend, but that is only one day a week. Did I mention that I also play a big part in taking care of our two boys? Where the heck do I find time to hunt and cut wood?

Back