How do you (or do you) clean up your chainsaw before working on it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote from wife after seeing dishwashers being used to clean up saws. "You ever put a chainsaw in my dishwasher, The cadiver dogs won't even be able to find you body"

I got in real trouble for this. It wasn't that I used the dishwasher, more that I popped a load of parts in amongst the plates in the vain hope that she wouldn't notice. "How could you wash those filthy things with our plates?"....My response of "mmmmm, Bar Oil" didn't go down that well.

Cleaning depends on how much work I am doing. A work saw will get blown off with compressed air, wiped over with oil and put on the shelf. A restoration job gets stripped, the gunk knocked out of it over a dustbin, and the parts lobbed in an ultrasonic cleaner. Then sandblasted. Must post some pics soon - I have an 07s and Contra in "matt gray" sandblasted finish awaiting paint.

I can die now

Hey, you already have on in the kitchen! I see you're new here, so you probably think I'm kidding:clap: Yes, I'm married and have been for 20 years in December.
117202442_NWz75-M.jpg

Don't forget about the oven when you need to bake some paint on!
242576162_vzfaF-M.jpg

I have seen all there is to see in life after seeing this!

I usually use air to blow the majority of the stuff off the saw. If I am disassembing, I have a laundry sink which I just use extremely hot water and cheap lauandry soap. Let it soak and blow dry. For carb I just use clean solvent

A dishwasher cleaning chainsaw parts means divorce court is happening next. Bad enough im hoarding saws.

Not a bad idea maybe better than a parts cleaner. Buy mama a new dishwasher and I get the old one in the shop?

I pick the chunks off with a screw driver, blow it out with compressed air, dry brush, spray with a degreaser and let it sit for a few then brush with a tooth brush and rinse. Then after all that I'll clean as I disassemble.

Wow, I love this website!!! My wife and I just bought a new (to us) house that will be getting a new kitchen (wife gets a new kitchen....because I am getting a brand new workshop) The current kitchen has a range and dishwasher that will be getting replaced. Until now I had not considered the possibility that I might be able to use both in my shop! Range to heat cases and bake powdercoat...and dishwasher to wash saw parts!!! Oh this is so exciting! Woo Hoo!!!!!

I usually clean after each use so my saws don't get real grimed up, compressed air, paint brush, degreaser , old tooth brush, finish with a liquid auto detail spray, makes cleaning up the next time much easier.

Back