How do you spread your chips?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hi guys. I had chipped up a bunch of brush a few months ago and dropped the chips at the next door neighbor's house in the woods to throw around. Well there were about 30 yards there for us to spread today. I took a guy there and it SUCKED. It took the guy with me helping a bit from 8:00 am till about 1:30 pm. Do you guys use a loader or something when spreading chips in the woods? Today I wished I had a little dozer for that stuff. Something that weighs like 3 - 4 thousand pounds, 5 - 6 foot wide blade and maybe 6 - 7 feet tall with rubber tracks.

i used to have a free dump spot but i had to spread the chips. so once a week i would hire a guy with a bob cat. he would charge me $ 250 and spread a weeks worth of chips in half a day. for me a weeks worth at peak season was about 100 to 175 yards.

try and dump a little here and there not all at once. its easier to push and shovel them out of the truck than spread them once dumped. metal rakes and pitch forks help.

Get one of those huge plastic wheel barrels with 2 wheels. If you have a regular 3 ft wheel bareel, you can do tha math on 30 yards.

I find it best to dump on hardscape, or an area that is going to be mulched over. I had one client I would dump on regularly that keeped one area of the bed unplanted for me to tip into.

My boss doesn't worry about where the chips go anymore, if we dump them in any public place the human wood monkeys basically unload it from the truck for us, they ask you to dump it in the middle of their driveway sometimes! we figure if they want it they can have it! the same goes for wood, as soon as its on the ground they start backing up there hobby trailers, we've had one guy that came back with the company truck and bob cat!

TP

Bobcat is the only way to spread chips,Load Logs, Ect I still havent figured out how i got along without one. :D

Back