how do you store your extra chains?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WD-40 has solvents, but also lubricants. It will penetrate into tight recesses, displace water (Water Displacing) and leave a light lubricant on the item.

I also use it on chains because I know that it will get between the side plates (tie straps) and around the rivets, even after I have degreased them in some solvent or caustic cleaner. I can't be sure that just dipping it in thick, viscous bar and chain oil will get into those places.

Philbert
Try brushing on a mixture of 80% Xylol (xylene) and 20% mineral oil. That will get into those hard-to-reach places and lubricate. I have used this rather successfully to restore rusted chains with locked up rivets. The xylene, available at most paint stores, works much better than mineral spirits and evaporates more slowly.

I usually keep mine next to the christmas lights.

tangled-lights.jpg

"Tupperware" Marshals, target, big lots carry these.
Company called Sistema. Heavier duty then regular Tupperware. There's a seal on the lids to keep WD-40 in and moisture out. $2 a peice. The non divided ones are 380ml size and hold a 3/8" 114DL (36")chain perfectly!
The ones with a divider barely hold a 3/8" 72dl (20") chain. And I mean barely! Perfect for .325 18" chains.
If you run smaller then 18" then get the divided ones(350ml size)

Is that yours Ed? Looks interesting, but a bit bulky if one has a lot of chains.

Years ago there was a long, plastic, rectangular tube called the 'Chain Tamer' that offered a similar 'no-tangle' benefit.

Lots of threads on this topic, so there is still interest in alternatives and options.

Philbert

1 gallon plastic ice cream buckets is what I use to transport multiple chains and then hang em on a nail when I'm back home. Usually they just get wadded up and thrown under the seat of the pickup though. I guess I should explain a little better though...............all mine are square ground so by travel I mean the 3.5 hour drive to my uncle or cousin's house to grind them, that's when they live in the plastic tub. Otherwise they live under the seat or on a nail

Philbert. Thanks for the reply. the box you looked at is 7 inches square and less than an inch thick. Fits easily into
my chainsaw case. Looked up the chain tamer. Had never heard of it before. Looks like it was a good idea.

Several years back I looked at buying the telescoping, plastic containers that Home Depot sells their Power Care (rebranded TriLink) chain in. I like the packages; not so much the chain.

Found a wholesaler, but had to buy a LOT! Did not think people wanted to pay $3 a piece for them (slight profit to cover my costs), so went back to heavy weight zip lock bags.

A few years ago, someone ran a post in the Trading Post trying to sell some - looked like he had the same idea.

Philbert

Being able to keep the chain from getting tangled up is the main reason I might be interested in such a device. I hate messing around untangling them.

Several years back I looked at buying the telescoping, plastic containers that Home Depot sells their Power Care (rebranded TriLink) chain in. I like the packages; not so much the chain.

Found a wholesaler, but had to buy a LOT! Did not think people wanted to pay $3 a piece for them (slight profit to cover my costs), so went back to heavy weight zip lock bags.

A few years ago, someone ran a post in the Trading Post trying to sell some - looked like he had the same idea.

Philbert
Since I do use TriLink chain I have several of those around, and I have kept them for the same reason. They're what I use when I carry a spare chain.

Try brushing on a mixture of 80% Xylol (xylene) and 20% mineral oil. That will get into those hard-to-reach places and lubricate. I have used this rather successfully to restore rusted chains with locked up rivets. The xylene, available at most paint stores, works much better than mineral spirits and evaporates more slowly.

You need to be very careful about breathing the vapor from xylol. It is toxic to the liver!!

Latest posts

Back